Literal Odds and Ends

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Literal Odds and Ends

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:25 am

This really speaks to me. It’s going to make a stir in IT circles.

https://ludic.mataroa.blog/blog/most-da ... worthless/
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:53 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:25 am
This really speaks to me. It’s going to make a stir in IT circles.

https://ludic.mataroa.blog/blog/most-da ... worthless/
Sadly, this is common. People want to know their job is worth something, that there is value behind it. What most people don't realize that although IT produces "nothing" it does produce something. Stability.

If you as an employee can do your job without worrying about something failing, that is the value or product that a good IT department can produce.

People look at it in a monetary value, when they need to stop looking at it that way, especially in IT.
#NotOneRedCent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:18 am

Holy shit I thought this was just a made up sound.

https://ifunny.co/video/fZAUMsyaA?s=cl

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:57 am

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:35 am

I started a contract gig because my prior employer decided to outsource its management, and they brought Little India to the IT Department... It took three people to replace me. (not including the manager)

I am now working contract; I am getting tired of this shit...

There is no such thing as job stability anymore. The job I am doing is for what remains of SVB... yes, that SVB... the management is stuck in the past, there is no humor, and everything is white (tables, walls, desks, kitchen area, etc). Nothing is allowed on the surfaces unless approved by the company...

I used to be known as one of the best techs in the state of Mass. When a job came around, my name was on the top of that list... if not the very top, one of the top five. I am still considered that in quite a few circles, a job comes up and I got every headhunter in a tri-state area trying to get me to authorize them to represent me.... The problem is I don't want to do it anymore.

I don't want to do IT anymore, but I don't know what I want to do, I'm stuck in this field because I got to pay the bills...

I'm almost 50, we were told growing up by this time in your life we were expected to be settled, getting ready for retirement in a decade or so... why does it feel like that is never going to happen?
#NotOneRedCent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:13 am

The Conservative wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:35 am
I started a contract gig because my prior employer decided to outsource its management, and they brought Little India to the IT Department... It took three people to replace me. (not including the manager)

There is no such thing as job stability anymore. The job I am doing is for what remains of SVB... yes, that SVB... the management is stuck in the past, there is no humor, and everything is white (tables, walls, desks, kitchen area, etc). Nothing is allowed on the surfaces unless approved by the company...

I used to be known as one of the best techs in the state of Mass. When a job came around, my name was on the top of that list... if not the very top, one of the top five. I am still considered that in quite a few circles, a job comes up and I got every headhunter in a tri-state area trying to get me to authorize them to represent me.... The problem is I don't want to do it anymore.

I don't want to do IT anymore, but I don't know what I want to do, I'm stuck in this field because I got to pay the bills...

I'm almost 50, we were told growing up by this time in your life we were expected to be settled, getting ready for retirement in a decade or so... why does it feel like that is never going to happen?
Ok…. First of all, you’re in a dying company. Jump ship now.

Second, there is no job stability in tech. The industry is too new. Get used to changing jobs every 2-3 years. That’s also how you keep your salary increasing.

Third, you’re missing the boat on working from home. Get a remote job.

Then get 2 of them. Pay off your debts and Retire in 10 years.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:48 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:13 am
The Conservative wrote:

Second, there is no job stability in tech. The industry is too new. Get used to changing jobs every 2-3 years. That’s also how you keep your salary increasing.

It’s a contract. Because of my prior employer not willing to write a letter of recommendation (fucking middle eastern pricks) its not easy to get jobs.

Every HR now wants a fucking kudo laded resume now.

Just throws me really.

Ill be out of this gig in 3 months. Then back onto the remote train if i can get one.

Base salary now is $120 because of inflation. It sure in hell doesnt go as far as it should.
#NotOneRedCent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:05 am

The Conservative wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:48 am
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
The Conservative wrote:

It’s a contract. Because of my prior employer not willing to write a letter of recommendation (fucking middle eastern pricks) its not easy to get jobs.

Just throws me really.

Ill be out of this gig in 3 months. Then back onto the remote train if i can get one.

Base salary now is $120 because of inflation. It sure in hell doesnt go as far as it should.
Don’t bother applying to job postings. Half of them are fake anyway.

Just update your resume on Indeed and Dice, and wait a day for recruiters to start calling. Don’t talk to the Indians, you’ll get a white guy or three within a week. There are jobs everywhere but they go through recruiters.

Tell them you want 130-140, and they’ll go back and ask the employer. You’ll have an interview in a few days. Don’t be picky, just find a gig for a couple years.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:30 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:05 am
The Conservative wrote:
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

Just throws me really.

Just update your resume on Indeed and Dice, and wait a day for recruiters to start calling. Don’t talk to the Indians, you’ll get a white guy or three within a week. There are jobs everywhere but they go through recruiters.

Tell them you want 130-140, and they’ll go back and ask the employer. You’ll have an interview in a few days. Don’t be picky, just find a gig for a couple years.
That’s what in finding lately. I really hate how the “new way” of doing things is suposifly better.
#NotOneRedCent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:10 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:30 am
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:05 am
The Conservative wrote:

Just throws me really.

That’s what in finding lately. I really hate how the “new way” of doing things is suposifly better.
It’s far far better, once you know how it works.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace