Is Bodybuilding a Sport?

TheReal_ND

Re: Is Bodybuilding a Sport?

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:41 pm

I just don't understand it. It's not a sport. Weight lifting sure. Something objective. Who "looks" the biggest? What is this? Not a sport. But I agree it takes a lot of work to achieve that look. I'm not knocking it just call it what it is: a beauty contest.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:49 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:I just don't understand it. It's not a sport. Weight lifting sure. Something objective. Who "looks" the biggest? What is this? Not a sport. But I agree it takes a lot of work to achieve that look. I'm not knocking it just call it what it is: a beauty contest.
Lots of sports have subjective components to them. Competitions not being based on 100% objective criteria does not disqualify a competition from being a sport. MMA has judges for fights that reach the time limit without either fighter finishing the other, but that doesn't make it not a sport. Nor did MMA become less of a sport when they placed a time limit on fights and introduced judges, just the opposite.
Last edited by StCapps on Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
*yip*

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:55 pm

Fife wrote:You all can't imagine the effort it takes me to get to the right BAC to throw darts, shoot pool, or golf.
Some are born to hang out in bars and some are borne to the bar. ;)

I tried to learn golf for business reasons, and because my husband had to play for business reasons and wanted me to come along. I could throw the bag farther that I could hit that damn little ball.
:royalty-queen:

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:56 pm

I'll grant a lot of things blur the lines of what is truly a sport. Sport though is a contest so in light of this I say runway modeling is truly a sport.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:57 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:I just don't understand it. It's not a sport. Weight lifting sure. Something objective. Who "looks" the biggest? What is this? Not a sport. But I agree it takes a lot of work to achieve that look. I'm not knocking it just call it what it is: a beauty contest.
So figure skating is not a sport? Gymnastics?

It's not just 'looking big.' Mass is just one element being judged.
:royalty-queen:

Mercury

Post by Mercury » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:02 pm

A sport has an objective qualification for winning: points/runs scored etc.

Games are not necessarily sports. Neither are geek shows.
Last edited by Mercury on Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
With sad countenance and downcast eyes, Aeneas wends his way, quitting the cavern, and ponders in his mind the dark issues.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:03 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Sport though is a contest so in light of this I say runway modeling is truly a sport.
A fashion show isn't a sport, but a beauty pageant would qualify as a sporting competition. A sport has winners and losers that are decided based on certain criteria, either objective or subjective.
Last edited by StCapps on Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Mercury

Post by Mercury » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:04 pm

A beauty pageant is a contest, not a sport.
With sad countenance and downcast eyes, Aeneas wends his way, quitting the cavern, and ponders in his mind the dark issues.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:08 pm

Mercury wrote:A beauty pageant is a contest, not a sport.
An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Not seeing how a beauty pageant doesn't meet that criteria. Just because the physical exertion is minimal in a beauty pageant compared to the average sporting competition, doesn't mean that it isn't a sport. Just because the criteria for scoring such a competition is superficial and subjective doesn't make it less of sport, it just makes it different from other kinds of sports with more objective and less superficial criteria for scoring their competitions.
*yip*

Mercury

Post by Mercury » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:11 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
So figure skating is not a sport? Gymnastics?

It's not just 'looking big.' Mass is just one element being judged.
Figure skating is certainly not a sport. Gymnastics...kinda...but, no, not a sport.