The Great Movie Thread

SuburbanFarmer

Re: The Great Movie Thread

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:03 pm

Penner wrote:I heard this on Reddit and I want to share it here. Recently, it has been reported that Topher Grace (that actor from That 70s Show) took the 3 Star Wars Prequels and condensed them into an 85-minute movie (with most of the bad parts either cut out entirely and/or just given it a shorter scene) and actually (supposedly) made the films watchable (and not something that I would put on my TV for background noise); also I forgot to mentioned that this was actually Grace's film editing lesson/experiment (since he does love a) Star Wars and b) is very interesting in film editing and is also trying to learn it himself.....
Last night I was invited to a secret showing of "Star Wars: The Editor Strikes Back". It was actually just an experiment spearheaded by actor Topher Grace, as he said in the intro that he has given terrible notes in "post" before and wanted to learn about the process. So he edited together all three of the Star Wars prequels into one, short 85-minute movie, focusing mostly on Anakin's arc and his path to the Dark Side, while retaining all the important details. It will probably never be shown again but was a fun look at how someone could re-cut the prequels for a much more satisfying experience. It was honestly pretty damn good.

The small, private screening was attended by about 50 people, mostly other actors, filmmakers and editors from the industry, very few press. After the screening we met up with Kyle Newman, director of Fanboys (who knows his Star Wars better than just about anyone), as well as Peter from SlashFilm and Frosty from Collider for a video blog discussion on the experience and this revised cut of the prequels. Of course, opening the book on a discussion about these prequels is almost a trap itself, as the debate will never end, but we get into it briefly. This is a fun one to watch, especially if you're a Star Wars fan (like all of us are)
http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/video- ... -prequels/

The only real thing that pisses me off is that we will never get to see this at all.
Should be on the internet soon, if not already. I'd like to watch it.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Penner

Post by Penner » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:11 pm

Yeah, they guy should be posting it online for all to see. I once heard that George Lucas always allowed fan made stuff to be freely shared as long as they made $0.00 on the finished product. Personally, I don't know what Disney's stance is on it now but damn that was sweet.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:40 pm

What a great movie.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:29 pm

I watched Unstoppable recently, it's about the runaway train with Denzel Washington and Chris Pine.
The plot was rather hard to swallow, but I like both the actors and I thought the dialog between the two was well written.

Don't go out of your way to watch it. But if you catch it, it's watchable.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:30 pm

de officiis wrote:Image

What a great movie.
I've loved that film since I was a kid. It's just fun and adventure rolled up into one pic.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:36 pm

C-Mag wrote:
de officiis wrote:Image

What a great movie.
I've loved that film since I was a kid. It's just fun and adventure rolled up into one pic.
Hell yeah!
Toss in "The Dirty Dozen" and "Catch-22" with it, too!

:goteam:
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:49 am

Just watched Back to the Future for the hundredth time. What a great movie. Good times. Also Jurassic Park holds up well to.

Different in a lot of ways but somewhat similar obviously. Which is better, Alien or Aliens? For Alien is/was terrifying and again it holds up well.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Dand

Post by Dand » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:27 pm

They're both fantastic but I prefer Alien. Or maybe I'd prefer Alien if I am watching alone and Aliens with a group.

I think Alien is one of the greatest horror movies ever but Aliens is a ton of fun and has many memorable lines. Aliens is a so quotable, specifically Bill Paxton.

apeman

Post by apeman » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:40 pm

Saw Ex Machina last weekend, pretty cool A.I./sci fi movie, focuses on plot instead of action/CG.

I liked it a lot, the wife stayed awake for the entire movie, which honestly may have never happened before.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:39 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:Just watched Back to the Future for the hundredth time. What a great movie.
Watched Back to the Future with my kids.
It was weird because Marty's present was 30 years ago (mid 1980s)... which was when I was the same age as my kids are now.

I felt like I was in a double time warp.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty