The Octagon

Haumana

Re: The Octagon

Post by Haumana » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:34 am

Gall was the only one I really cared about. Only slightly bummed to see Platinum Perry lose. Anybody who tattoos their nickname on their face is somebody to watch. They were really pushing the Karate Hottie angle. Kind of annoying.

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:40 am

AndrewBennett wrote:Does Floyd destroy MacGregor?
Does McGregor cash $100 million dollar check? In a ring, most likely he out points him. In an octagon or out on the street, Floyd gets tore up.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:31 am

Haumana wrote:
AndrewBennett wrote:Does Floyd destroy MacGregor?
Does McGregor cash $100 million dollar check? In a ring, most likely he out points him. In an octagon or out on the street, Floyd gets tore up.
Floyd would kill McGregor in boxing, McGregor would kill Floyd in MMA. They will never fight.
*yip*

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:37 am

Haumana wrote:Gall was the only one I really cared about. Only slightly bummed to see Platinum Perry lose. Anybody who tattoos their nickname on their face is somebody to watch. They were really pushing the Karate Hottie angle. Kind of annoying.
Who gets a tattoo above their eyebrow? The UFC hype machine is always annoying, they aren't going to get the star power transfer from page or sage to waterson or gall the way they want. I'm actually lower on Mickey Gall than I was coming into this fight, that stand up was pretty bad, it's a good thing Northcutt can't defend a takedown.
*yip*

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:52 am

StCapps wrote:Who gets a tattoo above their eyebrow? The UFC hype machine is always annoying, they aren't going to get the star power transfer from page or sage to waterson or gall the way they want. I'm actually lower on Mickey Gall than I was coming into this fight, that stand up was pretty bad, it's a good thing Northcutt can't defend a takedown.
HAHAHA! Who indeed.

I came out lower on Gall too. He was talking up his stand up game but he got rocked a couple of times. A better puncher would have probably taken him out.

He is young so there is still much to be written but he would do well to focus on boxing for a bit otherwise just go full Damien Maia.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:57 pm

It being Goldie's last card as the UFC's play by play guy, coming up at tomorrow at UFC 207,

Here are some of his best all-time fuck ups:
*yip*

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:03 pm

I don't think I am going to miss him too much. He was alright but I think most of the nostalgia is the result of familiar longevity.

Should be an interesting card tomorrow night. Rhonda is acting almost agoraphobic in her conspicuous avoidance of prolonged media exposure. She is showing other fighters what the acceptable bare minimum of promotion looks like. Personally, I hope Nunes just sticks a fork in this story and sends Rhonda into retirement.

I have gotten a kick out of watching how deep Cruz has burrowed into Cody's skin. Cody is a slave to his emotions and that isn't a good thing. Throwing a tantrum after a split screen interview that he bailed early on, confrontation at the weigh ins. HAHA

Liniker v Dillishaw is going to be fun to watch.

Hendricks v Magny Hendricks missing weight again and needing his wife to give him the "Just win" Rocky speech doesn't bode well for him. Magny submits him and he retires.

The card seems a bit thin overall even though the last 3 matches are must see though.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:11 am

Haumana wrote:I don't think I am going to miss him too much. He was alright but I think most of the nostalgia is the result of familiar longevity.
The man was unintentional comedy gold. I'm sure they can find someone better but they won't be anywhere near as fun to imitate.
Haumana wrote:Should be an interesting card tomorrow night. Rhonda is acting almost agoraphobic in her conspicuous avoidance of prolonged media exposure. She is showing other fighters what the acceptable bare minimum of promotion looks like.
Remember what happened to Nick Diaz when he didn't attend a press conference to promote his fight with GSP? They pulled him from the fight and gave title shot to Carlos Condit, just to stick it to Diaz. Very few fighters have the negotiating leverage to get away with shunning media obligations to any meaningful degree, only someone like Conor McGregor, Brock Lesnar, Georges St-Pierre or Jon Jones could get away with that without any backlash from the UFC. This is not the new normal for anyone who isn't one of the biggest stars in the sport.
Haumana wrote:Personally, I hope Nunes just sticks a fork in this story and sends Rhonda into retirement.
Have $200 on Nunes pre-fight. If Ronda is going to win this she has to weather the early storm and then the live line on Rousey should be real nice if I see the typical Nunes gassing coming. I think Nunes should be around -200 tbh, real good value on her at +120.
Haumana wrote:I have gotten a kick out of watching how deep Cruz has burrowed into Cody's skin. Cody is a slave to his emotions and that isn't a good thing. Throwing a tantrum after a split screen interview that he bailed early on, confrontation at the weigh ins. HAHA
You catch the interview they did on UFC 206 card? I score that interview 10-8 Cruz. Cruz's trash talk is so scathing because he bases it on at least a kernel of truth, that's why he's so effective getting under Garbrandt's skin and his other opponents.

Haumana wrote:Liniker v Dillishaw is going to be fun to watch.
Linker could be an interesting underdog to watch. One thing Dillashaw loves to do is get in exchanges where he attempts to land 2 or 3 strikes foe every 1 that his opponent lands, and against someone like Lineker you can see how that might play into his hands. Lineker is not deterred by volume and will press forward to land that power and you can't deter him easily by pressuring either as that allows him to land big counter punches in the kind of range he likes to fight at. Still I favor Dillashaw because he'll likely be able mix in the wrestling and take two rounds of a closer fight than most are imagining, TJ edging it out with veteran craft and a well rounded skill set, but could very easily be an upset in the making in tough stylistic match up for Dillashaw.
Haumana wrote:Hendricks v Magny Hendricks missing weight again and needing his wife to give him the "Just win" Rocky speech doesn't bode well for him. Magny submits him and he retire.
Bet $138 on Magny after Hendricks missed weight again. Combine that with retirement talk and Hendricks being a shell of his former self, I had to do it. Even if Hendricks looks good early I expect Magny to take over late, I can see Hendricks cracking him in the first going way too hard for the finish and Magny taking over in the next two rounds. I like Magny to win a decision probably taking the last two rounds to win 29-28.
Haumana wrote:The card seems a bit thin overall even though the last 3 matches are must see though.
Blame Cain. Injuries derailed his shot at surpassing Fedor as the greatest heavyweight in MMA history, it's a real shame. Dude just can't stay healthy.
*yip*

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:46 am

This is the telling video of just how unhinged Cody is. Made me laugh.

Remember what happened to Nick Diaz when he didn't attend a press conference to promote his fight with GSP? They pulled him from the fight and gave title shot to Carlos Condit, just to stick it to Diaz. Very few fighters have the negotiating leverage to get away with shunning media obligations to any meaningful degree, only someone like Conor McGregor, Brock Lesnar, Georges St-Pierre or Jon Jones could get away with that without any backlash from the UFC. This is not the new normal for anyone who isn't one of the biggest stars in the sport.
Sure. But the more exceptions that the UFC allows the closer it creeps to becoming the rule. The fighters are slowly coalescing into a group. It will take a few more years but it is inevitable.
Blame Cain. Injuries derailed his shot at surpassing Fedor as the greatest heavyweight in MMA history, it's a real shame. Dude just can't stay healthy.

One theory I heard was the part of the motivation behind Cain's revelations in the interview was him admitting to the use of CBD just in case he got popped by USADA. On a similar note, my brother in law has friends that work out at AKA and the word is that DC got hurt on his motorcycle. (That Cain convinced him to get)

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:37 pm

I hope Louis Smolka can get the win over Ray Borg. Borg missed weight but Smolka looked like death on the scales, seriously look at the weigh in video Smolka looked like a god damn ghost on the verge of fainting. Smolka has a tendacy to let his opponents dictate where a fight take place and I think that tendency could very well cost him, especially if his cardio isn't good enough to take advantage his opponents lesser gas tank because of the real rough weight cut. If Borg does gas and it seems like Smolka is on his way to winning the second round after dropping the first, then that's a real great live betting opportunity.
*yip*