Books and Shiet

Okeefenokee

Re: Books and Shiet

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu May 11, 2017 5:53 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu May 11, 2017 5:55 pm

heydaralon wrote:Nice books! Blood Meridian is great, and the Conspiracy Against the Human Race is one of those books that stays in your head long after you read it.

You've got some heavy hitters in that pile. I read Zarathustra in High School, although I probably didn't fully appreciate it then. I noticed you have got Nozick's Anarchy...Utopia book. You should try to find Rawls Theory of Justice book. It is kind of the opposite of Nozick. Even if you don't agree with either author, they both have contributed heavily to the philosophy of governing, equality and liberty.
Appreciate the feedback. I'm just collecting images from another thread for future reference. Unfortunately I don't own any of these yet but I will probably be picking up Evola if I can ever get myself to sit down and read again. I'm still plugging away at the decline and fall of the Roman Empire (abridged). I wasn't a fan of Atlas Shrugged so I'll probably skip Rand unless there is a good one recommend by someone.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu May 11, 2017 6:06 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
heydaralon wrote:Nice books! Blood Meridian is great, and the Conspiracy Against the Human Race is one of those books that stays in your head long after you read it.

You've got some heavy hitters in that pile. I read Zarathustra in High School, although I probably didn't fully appreciate it then. I noticed you have got Nozick's Anarchy...Utopia book. You should try to find Rawls Theory of Justice book. It is kind of the opposite of Nozick. Even if you don't agree with either author, they both have contributed heavily to the philosophy of governing, equality and liberty.
Appreciate the feedback. I'm just collecting images from another thread for future reference. Unfortunately I don't own any of these yet but I will probably be picking up Evola if I can ever get myself to sit down and read again. I'm still plugging away at the decline and fall of the Roman Empire (abridged). I wasn't a fan of Atlas Shrugged so I'll probably skip Rand unless there is a good one recommend by someone.

If you want to find cheap books, there are two good ways to do it. The first way is to buy them used on Amazon. Often you can find classics for like $.01. You get a little fucked with the 3.99 shipping and handling, but thats still far cheaper than buying them new. I never buy new books. The other way is to go to a library that sells used books. Houston is a big city, and I guarantee you that they have several libraries with a used bookstore. Normally, they charge between $.50 and $1.00 for books. There are also programs like friends of the library that temporarily set up a flea market for books for a few days. I bought most of my books this way when I lived in Alachua county. Usually the books ranged from a dime to a dollar, but never more than that. You could google to see if your city has something like that. If it does, you could buy yourself enough books to last a year for way under ten dollars. I used to love going to those sales, and I would buy like 20 or 30 books at a time.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu May 11, 2017 6:10 pm

I read the fountainhead by rand when I was 17, and briefly I was very interested in Objectivism. The thing is, Rand is one of those authors that is more interested in ideas than a narrative. That's why her books always have these 40 page dialogues where a character spells out her philosophy in a long speech. She was kind of bonkers tbh, and I'm not really a fan anymore, but she had an impact on me in my late teens.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu May 11, 2017 6:12 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:Image
Thats a fascinating book also. I have it on my shelf. I wasn't super impressed with the ending, and his "putting the safety catch back on society" ideas though.
Shikata ga nai

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu May 11, 2017 6:29 pm

Well I found out the used book store throws away books every week. Sometimes the dumpster is full. Obviously most of them aren't very good I guess but I've picked up a couple hard back historical books. One of them is on early America and looks promising.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Thu May 11, 2017 6:33 pm

I'm flying through this

Nuke I donated 77 books to the library, if it wouldn't have been cost-prohibitive to ship them I would have sent them your way
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu May 11, 2017 6:39 pm

California wrote:I'm flying through this

I'll value your opinion, and look forward to it. I gave up on spending any of my time on Scalzi on Redshirts.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu May 11, 2017 6:40 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Well I found out the used book store throws away books every week. Sometimes the dumpster is full. Obviously most of them aren't very good I guess but I've picked up a couple hard back historical books. One of them is on early America and looks promising.
That is also a pretty awesome way to get books.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu May 11, 2017 6:43 pm

Nuke:

They are doing a Houston friends of the library sale in 2 days. You should go. You will not be disappointed.
https://www.friendsofhpl.org/ There's the link.
Shikata ga nai