Re: Game of Thrones - mostly

Post by clubgop » Sun May 19, 2019 11:55 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:53 pm
clubgop wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:39 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:23 pm

Called the Game of Oligarchy, that Jon would take down Dany, and that they'd fuck it up completely.

It was basically just a handoff to the spinoff. GoT hasn't ended, but it certainly looks more boring.
Why the hell are those people on the Small Council? Nobody fucking knows. Why is Podrick wheeling Bran around? What kind of security is around Dany on her Red Keep speech, that Arya just hikes up there and appears next to Jon? What happened to her nice horsey ride out of the city? Where the fuck is Jon going, did he just ditch the Night's Watch completely?

it's over, any spinoff will be based on the past, or in lands far, far, away. As for the small council it makes sense. A master of coin to the Lord of Highgarden, the lord of the most valuable resource, grain, should have some expertise, if not, better get some, on finances. Also Brom is loyal to his hand, a former Master of coin himself, who better to control? A former pirate and smuggler as Master of ships? Really is anyone more trustworthy and qualified? Did the Golden Armor and Ser throw you off? Podrick became a knight and member of the kings guard. Have you not been watching for 8 seasons?

What Night's watch? Maybe he does maybe he doesn't? He becomes a Ranger and rides north of the wall like his uncle Benjen.

As for Arya.
I mean, sure, those are the right choices from the characters on the show, but are we to assume that the ENTIRE former nobility/administration is gone?

And yeah. There will be no prequel. It’s just going to come back, and god I hope they find some writers.
You saw them sitting all around in the pit there, the great houses of Westoros. Assume? Once again you havent been watching for 8 Seasons, the whole series has been nobility and minor nobility plunged into wars and palace intrigue ending up in a revolving door of death. So much so a 9 year old girl becomes a minor/major character. The symbolic torching of kings landing and the IRon throne what kind of message do you need for a new beginning. And administration, what administration? You expected some DC like assistant deputy hand of the king? Was this West wing but with Dragons, for you?

As for the prequels, they are already planned, there will no continuation. Are waiting for Aaron Sorkin? You are going to be wrong again.

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Mon May 20, 2019 12:11 am

Valar Monghulis
but apparently governments have to last forever.

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Mon May 20, 2019 4:24 am

Technically, I get where they were going with the final episode, of duty -> assassinating the monarch -> council of lords sits down to talk of what's next -> compromises -> elective monarchy -> exile for the condemned (Jon) and the damaged who want to start over (Arya).

But Jon settling in the far North among the wildlings after being sentenced to re-join the NW, and Arya deciding to become a seafearing explorer, were a bit... unexplained, but hey nice for them that they didn't die at least, I guess.

Thought the initial "Dany wearing ominous black dress and Drogon's wings folding behind her, to make her look demonic"-shot was... too much, though. Yeah, by now we do get that she's the bad guy, don't have to hammer in the point with condescending, visual railroad spikes. :roll:
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Mon May 20, 2019 4:37 am

a little on the nose perhaps but the scenery of the dragon wings with dany was pretty sweet

didnt hate the episode, they did what they could with what they had set up, some complaints but i'm not mad, whatevs. whats next?

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Mon May 20, 2019 5:05 am

One scene I really did love was Dinklage's acting when he comes across his brother and sister's bodies.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

Kath

Post by Kath » Mon May 20, 2019 7:13 am

I loved it.

Why is Brienne staying the the south? There's no context for that ending.

Arya wandering off to see what's next felt very Frodo-like and was a perfect ending for her.

What contribution did Edmure make to the story? It seems he only acted as a vessel to get Cat & Robb killed, yet he got to stay alive. Very odd.

Bran sentences Tyrion to fix all the shit he broke. That was fun. Tyrion's like, "Okay, but will there be wine?"

Highly satisfactory ending to a fantastic series.

For the record, I got 19 of 31 life/death predictions correct. I also called a bunch of other points in this thread. Woot!
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon May 20, 2019 12:44 pm

Called Jon killing Dany, and they did it pretty well. Called the Iron Throne not being destroyed off screen too, makes sense Drogon would destroy Iron Throne, a dragon forged it, so naturally a dragon could unforge it.

Didn't nail the landing, but didn't fuck it up, better ending than I was expecting, difficult landing to make. Good enough ending, but nowhere near the best or anything. Solid recovery in the last season, didn't think Benioff and Weiss had it in them, glad I was wrong.
*yip*

Kath

Post by Kath » Mon May 20, 2019 2:20 pm

StCapps wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:44 pm
Called Jon killing Dany, and they did it pretty well. Called the Iron Throne not being destroyed off screen too, makes sense Drogon would destroy Iron Throne, a dragon forged it, so naturally a dragon could unforge it.

Didn't nail the landing, but didn't fuck it up, better ending than I was expecting, difficult landing to make. Good enough ending, but nowhere near the best or anything. Solid recovery in the last season, didn't think Benioff and Weiss had it in them, glad I was wrong.
We both got close. You got some additional evidence that Jon is not very bright. Lots of expository dialogue to help the audience understand why Dany needed to die? WTF? I would have been happier if he and Tyrion had a discussion, instead of just Tyrion lecturing Jon.

I was very confident that Jon would kill Dany. Any other way made no sense. I predicted there would be no throne. I knew Jon would end up North. I predicted Sansa for the throne. She got A throne, so maybe I get 1/2 credit for that. :-)

I also predicted Sam would write the story. It wasn't him, but he delivered it.

I got close in several areas. Between the two of us; I'd say we nailed it as closely as we could without spoilers.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon May 20, 2019 2:34 pm

Sansa Queen of the North was a possibility I foresaw, always thought she'd only care about the North and less about all other kingdoms. Which always made me think that Bran was more likely in the event that Jon killed Dany and didn't end up on the throne.

Jon was so dumb he needed Tyrion to help convince him, I thought that worked great. Gave Tyrion a chance to do something useful for the first time in several seasons as well.

Jon being forced to go North is much better than turning down the Crown and going North, that definitely helped. Jon Snow at his least boring and dull, glad they didn't fuck up giving that backstab to Jon.

Shout out to Bronn and his grabbing the best land in the Six Kingdoms. All hail the Lord of Highgarden, Lord Paramount of the Reach, Warden of the South, and Master of Coin. Chaos is a ladder indeed, Littlefinger is mad jealous in his grave. Bronn founded one of the Great Houses of Westeros, just like he wanted, House Blackwater FTW.
*yip*

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Mon May 20, 2019 3:34 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:03 pm
It is true that the white horse scene added up to nothing....

And what she's Christopher Columbus now?

That character arc went off the rails...
No, she fucked off like Frodo, after saving the world from total destruction how do you top that? Fade off into adventure and legend.