Damn, I’m Plastered on Valentines Day. What’s Smitty doing?

Smitty-48

Re: Damn, I’m Plastered on Valentines Day. What’s Smitty doing?

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:20 pm

I'm actually starting to warm up to this AOPS program

Reasons being;

1. Defence Pork, war is a force that gives us meaning.

2. It's much more expeditionary and multirole than the "Icebreaker Patrol Ship" which was originally envisaged. Icebreaker Patrol Ship is dumb, that's a Coast Guard mission, OPV which can operate in the Arctic as well as overseas, that's actually going to be used a lot, more overseas than in the Arctic.

3. They've Broken the British naming conventions of naming ships after places and things but not people, and instead they've adopted the American naming convention of naming ships after people. The Canadian Coast Guard already uses the American naming convention, all Coast Guard ships are named after people, but the Navy has never before broken with the British conventions.

They're all named after RCN heroes, all of whom are impressive in their own way

AOPV 430 HMCS Harry DeWolf : RCN Battle of the Atlantic commander in Second World War

AOPV 431 HMCS Margaret Brooke : RCN Nursing officer decorated actions after torpedoed into the sea by U-boat.

AOPV 432 HMCS Max Benays : RCN Petty Officer decorated for actions in battle on HMCS Assiniboine

AOPV 433 HMCS William Hall : Canada's third VC, first black guy to win the VC, serving against the Indian Mutiny

AOPV 434 HMCS Frederik Rollette : War of 1812 French Canadian British naval hero

AOPV 435 HMCS Robert Hampton Gray :

Canada's last VC, this one is my favourite, Canada's greatest naval aviator, for sho.

"ADMIRALTY Whitehall, 13th November 1945.

The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the award of the VICTORIA CROSS for valour to: —

the late Temporary Lieutenant Robert Hampton GRAY, R.C.N.V.R.,

for great valour in leading an attack on a Japanese destroyer in Onagawa Wan, on 9 August 1945. In the face of fire from shore batteries and a heavy concentration of fire from some five warships Lieutenant Gray pressed home his attack, flying very low in order to ensure success, and, although he was hit and his aircraft was in flames, he obtained at least one direct hit, sinking the destroyer. Lieutenant Gray has consistently shown a brilliant fighting spirit and most inspiring leadership."

Posthumous.

Flying the F4U Corsair, sinks the Japanese destroyer, goes down in flames, watery grave, never recovered, VC.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:38 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:20 pm
I'm actually starting to warm up to this AOPS program

Reasons being;

1. Defence Pork, war is a force that gives us meaning.

2. It's much more expeditionary and multirole than the "Icebreaker Patrol Ship" which was originally envisaged.

3. They've Broken the British naming conventions of naming ships after places and things but not people, and instead they've adopted the American naming convention of naming ships after people.

They're all named after RCN heroes, all of whom are impressive in their own way

AOPV 430 HMCS Harry DeWolf : RCN Battle of the Atlantic commander in Second World War

AOPV 431 HMCS Margaret Brooke : RCN Nursing officer decorated actions after torpedoed into the sea by U-boat.

AOPV 432 HMCS Max Benays : RCN Petty Officer decorated for actions in battle on HMCS Assiniboine

AOPV 433 HMCS William Hall : Canada's third VC, first black guy to win the VC, serving against the Indian Mutiny

AOPV 434 HMCS Frederik Rollette : War of 1812 French Canadian British naval hero

AOPV 435 HMCS Robert Hampton Gray :

Canada's last VC, this one is my favourite, Canada's greatest naval aviator, for sho.

"ADMIRALTY Whitehall, 13th November 1945.

The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the award of the VICTORIA CROSS for valour to: —

the late Temporary Lieutenant Robert Hampton GRAY, R.C.N.V.R.,

for great valour in leading an attack on a Japanese destroyer in Onagawa Wan, on 9 August 1945. In the face of fire from shore batteries and a heavy concentration of fire from some five warships Lieutenant Gray pressed home his attack, flying very low in order to ensure success, and, although he was hit and his aircraft was in flames, he obtained at least one direct hit, sinking the destroyer. Lieutenant Gray has consistently shown a brilliant fighting spirit and most inspiring leadership."

Posthumous.

Flying the F4U Corsair, sinks the Japanese destroyer, goes down in flames, watery grave, never recovered, VC.
HMS Queen Elizabeth is named after a person. It is currently sitting off Lowestoft, Suffolk. F35s from RAF Marham, Norfolk have been training on it.
https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/f35-lightn ... -1-6486743
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:41 pm

I'm flirting with an Irish girl online. I guess you could say things are getting pretty serious. Just thought you guys would want to stay in the loop.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:45 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:38 pm

HMS Queen Elizabeth is named after a person. It is currently sitting off Lowestoft, Suffolk. F35s from RAF Marham, Norfolk have been training on it.
That is why it's called a naming convention and not a naming law.

Royal titles are in essence things anyways, a Queen is a Crown not a member of the public

Generally, British ships are not named after people, whereas most US Navy ships are named after people

AFAIK, the RCN has never had a single ship named after a person, prior to AOPV 430 HMCS Harry DeWolf

It's a Stephen Harper thang, Americanized Prairie Populism
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:47 pm

HMS Hood was named after a person too.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:49 pm

So I'm aware Irish genetics are not the best but even if she has short hair which I hate, if she cooks me good how bad could it be? I guess I want general opinions on what I'm getting myself into. She seems very nice and I could listen to her voice all day. It's very chill and beautiful. Should I marry her? She seems to imply she might cook.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:51 pm

Also, I'm extremely hungry every day. Is this a deal breaker? I don't like latinas because the way the speak and act is annoying. Do Irish girls cook good?

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:53 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:47 pm
Yeah, I looked it up, the RCN has never had a warship named after a person, just one ship named after a person, HMCS Lady Evelyn, but that was cruise ship which they pressed into service, so the RCN didn't name it.

See, it's political, Stephen Hapercons want the American convention
Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:57 pm

I guess you could say, what I'm really asking, is it possible to get a Irish girl to cook for you and make babies with? I know we used to import lots of Irish people back in the day for free but is that still a thing?

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:04 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:53 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:47 pm
Yeah, I looked it up, the RCN has never had a warship named after a person, just one ship named after a person, HMCS Lady Evelyn, but that was cruise ship which they pressed into service, so the RCN didn't name it.

See, it's political, Stephen Hapercons want the American convention
Yeah, I looked up RN ships. They have a history of naming ships after historical and fictional persons. Several named after Admirals like Hood and figures from Greek or Roman mythology such as Ariadne and Aurora.