Jobs

Ex-California

Re: Jobs

Post by Ex-California » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:59 pm

Just apply. If you get a bad feeling I'm sure the interview process will suss it out
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:42 pm

AndrewBennett wrote:Just apply. If you get a bad feeling I'm sure the interview process will suss it out
Yeah, have emailed them for an application form. Don't suppose I'll even see the media whore at an interview, although it is the original restaurant which is attached to his farm.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:04 pm

Why should he hire a man that thinks of him as a media whore?

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:07 pm

I won't tell him I said that if you don't.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:09 pm

I dId not frame the question in such a way that he necessarily knows what you think of him. Put yourself in his shoes.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:13 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:I dId not frame the question in such a way that he necessarily knows what you think of him. Put yourself in his shoes.
Yeah I was being unfair to him. He's one of the good guys really. Farm to fork and all that. I wouldn't work for Gordon fucking Ramsay for all the money in Christendom.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:33 pm

I don't know how long you've been out of the job market but looking presentable and knocking on the door is still the best way to apply. The online application meme never worked for me. Not once.

Oh and Mondays and Fridays are no good. And have some sort of resume I guess.

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:08 pm

Good luck Monte. I hope it works out in your favor. :)

I'm in a bit of a small (but good) jam. I do IT in a school. I've been there for almost a year. The previous school I worked out hired a living dumpster fire as my replacement, and that has went about as well as Napoleon's attack on Russia. Our county has no formal training process for new IT people. Everyone else but me has either been in the system since they started putting more of a focus on technology in the classroom in the mid-90's, or they were a technology apprentice in high school, so the district has been getting away with not having to train anyone. This is really the first time it's blown up in their face.

So the principal of the old school I used to work at is offering to match my current salary to get me back. Going back would mean being closer to work, so I'd save a little money on gas.

I have some reservations. I'd have to do inventory again, which I don't currently have to do, as I have a partner who does it for me. Also, I don't think my replacement has done a shred of inventory in the year I've been gone.

The county is going to try and have the person whom I replaced come back to my current school, as they currently hate their collegiate IT job. My worry about this is that this person is the director's favorite, and could possibly box me out of any future progression up the ladder.

Any advice?

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:55 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:I don't know how long you've been out of the job market but looking presentable and knocking on the door is still the best way to apply. The online application meme never worked for me. Not once.

Oh and Mondays and Fridays are no good. And have some sort of resume I guess.
Been a while since I've looked for a full time job. Am usually ok doing agency work to carry me through to the next thing to fall in my lap. Luckily there is a high turnover in my trade and they haven't managed to automate it very well yet. I have a very low cost lifestyle but I could do with a regular income to finish off my truck conversion. I bought a bit of a duff vehicle so it has cost me more to get it up to standard and for the conversion decent wood and other materials are expensive these days.
Once I get an interview I can usually talk myself into a job but a lot of positions are advertised on social media these days so an old ludite like myself can miss out. Luckily I know a few young uns and they have helped out.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:08 pm

Xenophon wrote:Good luck Monte. I hope it works out in your favor. :)

I'm in a bit of a small (but good) jam. I do IT in a school. I've been there for almost a year. The previous school I worked out hired a living dumpster fire as my replacement, and that has went about as well as Napoleon's attack on Russia. Our county has no formal training process for new IT people. Everyone else but me has either been in the system since they started putting more of a focus on technology in the classroom in the mid-90's, or they were a technology apprentice in high school, so the district has been getting away with not having to train anyone. This is really the first time it's blown up in their face.

So the principal of the old school I used to work at is offering to match my current salary to get me back. Going back would mean being closer to work, so I'd save a little money on gas.

I have some reservations. I'd have to do inventory again, which I don't currently have to do, as I have a partner who does it for me. Also, I don't think my replacement has done a shred of inventory in the year I've been gone.

The county is going to try and have the person whom I replaced come back to my current school, as they currently hate their collegiate IT job. My worry about this is that this person is the director's favorite, and could possibly box me out of any future progression up the ladder.

Any advice?
Cheers Xeno'
Can't really help with the specific details of your situation, bit above my pay grade to comment on. I would say that enjoying my work is more important for me that financial concerns so ask yourself if your new job is as enjoyable as your last one. You are in a fortunate situation where you are not going into an unknown on this matter. Which job has the nicest people to work with and will that return to inventory work be a big downside? As for future prospects you seem to have asked yourself that question already.