Best Films of 2016/2017

pineapplemike

Re: Best Films of 2016/2017

Post by pineapplemike » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:57 pm

Hastur wrote:Is it just me or are most movies from Hollywood these days aimed at kids? Is it because even grown up Americans are like kids theese days? You whare kids clothes, eat children food and watch movies for children.

I know it's an American thing and it's been like this for a long time but I feel it's getting worse.

Oh, shit.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:14 pm

pineapplemike wrote:
Hastur wrote:Is it just me or are most movies from Hollywood these days aimed at kids? Is it because even grown up Americans are like kids theese days? You whare kids clothes, eat children food and watch movies for children.

I know it's an American thing and it's been like this for a long time but I feel it's getting worse.

Oh, shit.

I literally just laughed out loud for real. Thank you!

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

katarn

Post by katarn » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:23 pm

Probably. Some of it, like the accusation that Star Wars is a kids' series (I disagree), can be attributed to an acute nostalgia among the young adult population who grew up with these things (also one reason superheroes and transformers do so well). Another part could be explained this way: many films aimed towards adults might be too offensive for an SJW culture to make back their budget or become blockbusters.

Of course, there's also the idea that producers a whiny six year old who wants to see Cars 3 buys two tickets at least- the kid and a parent, whereas an adult movie has to be made with more merit to attract adults.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

Penner

Post by Penner » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:44 pm

katarn wrote:

Probably. Some of it, like the accusation that Star Wars is a kids' series (I disagree), can be attributed to an acute nostalgia among the young adult population who grew up with these things (also one reason superheroes and transformers do so well). Another part could be explained this way: many films aimed towards adults might be too offensive for an SJW culture to make back their budget or become blockbusters.

Of course, there's also the idea that producers a whiny six year old who wants to see Cars 3 buys two tickets at least- the kid and a parent, whereas an adult movie has to be made with more merit to attract adults.
When ever they make a blockbuster they a) try to add something for everyone.Which means some romance, comedy, action, buddy character, etc... b) make it as bland as possible and to appeal to as many people for $$$$ not really ideology per se. Also, China has now become a major factor because the censors in China only allow a certain amount of movies from the West to be seen in their country and that it's considered like the second biggest group to appeal for they literally would rework scripts in hopes that China's censors would allow the movie in. These censors are notoriously known to be fickle as hell so studios have been trying to create as many movies they think can pass the censors and be allowed into the Chinese market.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:17 pm

katarn wrote:

This. Teenagers and kids are the main audience in theaters now. And the most
Likely to watch the advertising in the first place.

American culture is being held hostage by the youngest demographic.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:20 pm

Read an article recently that said movies were aimed at Chinese audiences. I'll try to find it.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:41 pm

I have kids. The only time I go to a movie theatre is with my kids. If i have the very rare "date night" I will be going to dinner and drinks or a concert or something, not the movies. I think that its really that simple for most people, not some nefarious infantilization of Americans.

Children's clothes though? Yeah, I'm guilty

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:01 pm

Saw Dunkirk tonight........ it's a theatre film folks, I highly recommend it
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Penner

Post by Penner » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:51 pm

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:17 pm

Penner wrote:
Feels.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0