What show are you watching right now?

MilSpecs

Re: What show are you watching right now?

Post by MilSpecs » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:08 pm

It was meh. Barely meh.
:royalty-queen:

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:22 pm

Star Trek series post-TOS usually take a while to find themselves. First episode was okay.
*yip*

Penner

Post by Penner » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:26 pm

DS9 already had an albino Klingon:

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:36 pm

I've never really liked Star Trek. But I also dislike Star Wars too. I never got the appeal of it. I saw the one where that weird beanie baby salesman kept breeding them until the whole ship filled up with them and they made him pick them all up. Said it would take him 20 years to do it. I would have just bailed if I was that guy. Silly show.
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:05 pm

heydaralon wrote: But I also dislike Star Wars too. I never got the appeal of it.
Back in 1977, we had never seen anything like it, nor heard anything like it neither, cause the sound editing and music was on a whole new level as well, sci-fi before Star Wars, it was in the 1950's to 60's paradigm, like The Day the Earth Stood Still, or the Planet of the Apes, we didn't even really know what we were walking into, because there hadn't even been much hype, the hype took off after it had been in theaters for a few weeks, but at first we didn't have any clue, it came out right at the beginning of summer vacation, so you got out of school and went down to the movie theater, and you saw the poster and it looked kind of cool, dude with a laser sword and some kind of robot guy, so you buys your ticket and you go in and you're just sitting there, with no preconceptions other and the cool poster, then "long ago in a galaxy far far away..." and bam, they hit with the John Williams theme music, and for the next two hours we were like "Whoa, maaaan, cooool!"

And then it just blew up, it was crazy, when word got around, there was line-ups around the block at literally every single theater where it was playing. I was glad that I went to see it early on, because when I went back to see it again, you couldn't even see the theater from the back of the line, the line was down the street and around the corner and down that street too, you had to line up in the afternoon, just to buy tickets for the late show, it was summer of Star Wars, it was all Star Wars all the time, it was a whole new paradigm.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:20 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
heydaralon wrote: But I also dislike Star Wars too. I never got the appeal of it.
Back in 1977, we had never seen anything like it, nor heard anything like it neither, cause the sound editing and music was on a whole new level as well, sci-fi before Star Wars, it was in the 1950's to 60's paradigm, like The Day the Earth Stood Still, or the Planet of the Apes, we didn't even really know what we were walking into, because there hadn't even been much hype, the hype took off after it had been in theaters for a few weeks, but at first we didn't have any clue, it came out right at the beginning of summer vacation, so you got out of school and went down to the movie theater, and you saw the poster and it looked kind of cool, dude with a laser sword and some kind of robot guy, so you buys your ticket and you go in and you're just sitting there, with no preconceptions other and the cool poster, then "long ago in a galaxy far far away..." and bam, they hit with the John Williams theme music, and for the next two hours we were like "Whoa, maaaan, cooool!"

And then it just blew up, it was crazy, when word got around, there was line-ups around the block at literally every single theater where it was playing. I was glad that I went to see it early on, because when I went back to see it again, you couldn't even see the theater from the back of the line, the line was down the street and around the corner and down that street too, you had to line up in the afternoon, just to buy tickets for the late show, it was summer of Star Wars, it was all Star Wars all the time, it was a whole new paradigm.
I guess the earlier star wars movies were game changers, but the new ones certainly aren't. Even when I was in middle school I knew something was off about the prequels. I don't get how people are still rabid about these new movies. As for Star Trek, I always felt it was boring and not as cerebral as the creators thought it was. Its kind of like watching something nerdy without actually learning anything. Maybe its a generational thing, I'm not sure.
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:24 pm

Now I actually think Jaws was the first blockbuster, we all saw the trailer on TV and then we had to see Jaws, I actually had to sneak into see Jaws, some teenagers I knew held a seat for me and I had to switch theaters, because when it first came out it was actually rated R, but when Star Wars came along, that blew even Jaws away, it was the new news, the model for every blockbuster which came after.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:29 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Now I actually think Jaws was the first blockbuster, we all saw the trailer on TV and then we had to see Jaws, I actually had to sneak into see Jaws, some teenagers I knew held a seat for me and I had to switch theaters, because when it first came out it was actually rated R, but when Star Wars came along, that blew even Jaws away, it was the new news, the model for every blockbuster which came after.
Jaws is a great fucking movie. It kicks Star Wars' ass. When I was younger I used to rent Jaws from blockbuster at least once a week for several months until my parents got me it on VHS just so I'd stop fucking renting it. I would do extra chores and yard work for money and use it to rent Jaws over and over again. I probably could have bought it 10 times with how much I rented it. Personally, I put Jaws as one of the best suspense films of all time. Its tied for the best film of the 1970's along with Sleuth.
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:30 pm

heydaralon wrote:
I guess the earlier star wars movies were game changers, but the new ones certainly aren't. Even when I was in middle school I knew something was off about the prequels. I don't get how people are still rabid about these new movies. As for Star Trek, I always felt it was boring and not as cerebral as the creators thought it was. Its kind of like watching something nerdy without actually learning anything. Maybe its a generational thing, I'm not sure.
Ridley Scott pretty much blew Star Wars away for me, with Alien, then later, Blade Runner, at which point you're kind of like "Star Wars, meh"
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:36 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:Now I actually think Jaws was the first blockbuster, we all saw the trailer on TV and then we had to see Jaws, I actually had to sneak into see Jaws, some teenagers I knew held a seat for me and I had to switch theaters, because when it first came out it was actually rated R, but when Star Wars came along, that blew even Jaws away, it was the new news, the model for every blockbuster which came after.
Jaws is a great fucking movie. It kicks Star Wars' ass. When I was younger I used to rent Jaws from blockbuster at least once a week for several months until my parents got me it on VHS just so I'd stop fucking renting it. I would do extra chores and yard work for money and use it to rent Jaws over and over again. I probably could have bought it 10 times with how much I rented it. Personally, I put Jaws as one of the best suspense films of all time. Its tied for the best film of the 1970's along with Sleuth.

Oh I loved Jaws, that was the second best movie I had ever seen at that point, after 2001: A Space Odyssey, but then I saw Apocalypse Now, had to sneak into that too, my dad actualy snuck me in, and then that was the absolute best of the 1970's, "Charlie don't surf..."
Nec Aspera Terrent