Key points in a person's life that you look back and kick yourself in the ass.

The Conservative

Key points in a person's life that you look back and kick yourself in the ass.

Post by The Conservative » Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:24 am

There are times in my life I can look back and say, "Only if I did this instead of that, things would have been different."

Since I am temporarily working for a financial entity, I see stocks show up all the time, and the one they were talking about yesterday was Apple...

Back when Steve Jobs was alive and was kicked out of his own company, the stock tanked. In 1997, he came back. I had some money from a lawsuit back then, and my parents set me up with a financial adviser (which didn't follow fiduciary standards as it stands now)

I asked the advisor to buy 50K of Apple stock back then... the stock was worth .24 cents... today the stock is worth over $190.

Between the splits and the dividend paid out, I would have over 120 Million in the bank right now... and that is if I sat on that stock and did nothing with it. The original investment would be worth almost 43 Million on its own...

My advisor told me that the stock wouldn't do anything and It was throwing money away, so he refused to buy it... After 2008 when I lost all the money because my advisor didn't do anything with it, and it got eradicated by his bad trades, I obviously let him go... but I didn't know I was pennyless until I got a "closed account" notice.

The advisor is dead, and his estate is worthless; he became a born again... but if I had listened to myself instead of the "experts" I would probably never have to have worried about money... but again, hindsight is 20/20... but fucking hell... it be nice to have that money right now.
#NotOneRedCent

Haumana

Re: Key points in a person's life that you look back and kick yourself in the ass.

Post by Haumana » Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:28 am

The Conservative wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:24 am
There are times in my life I can look back and say, "Only if I did this instead of that, things would have been different."

Since I am temporarily working for a financial entity, I see stocks show up all the time, and the one they were talking about yesterday was Apple...

Back when Steve Jobs was alive and was kicked out of his own company, the stock tanked. In 1997, he came back. I had some money from a lawsuit back then, and my parents set me up with a financial adviser (which didn't follow fiduciary standards as it stands now)

I asked the advisor to buy 50K of Apple stock back then... the stock was worth .24 cents... today the stock is worth over $190.

Between the splits and the dividend paid out, I would have over 120 Million in the bank right now... and that is if I sat on that stock and did nothing with it. The original investment would be worth almost 43 Million on its own...

My advisor told me that the stock wouldn't do anything and It was throwing money away, so he refused to buy it... After 2008 when I lost all the money because my advisor didn't do anything with it, and it got eradicated by his bad trades, I obviously let him go... but I didn't know I was pennyless until I got a "closed account" notice.

The advisor is dead, and his estate is worthless; he became a born again... but if I had listened to myself instead of the "experts" I would probably never have to have worried about money... but again, hindsight is 20/20... but fucking hell... it be nice to have that money right now.
That is called getting old. 20/20 hindsight is part of package.

Common theme with you though, it is always someone else's fault. You would have pitched a perfect game except that you didn't. Welcome to the club. All of us would have, could have been except Martin.

The Conservative

Re: Key points in a person's life that you look back and kick yourself in the ass.

Post by The Conservative » Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:30 am

Haumana wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:28 am
The Conservative wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:24 am

That is called getting old. 20/20 hindsight is part of package.

Common theme with you though, it is always someone else's fault. You would have pitched a perfect game except that you didn't. Welcome to the club. All of us would have, could have been except Martin.
Yeah, common theme, but this one stung. I was young and didn't know I could push back. I trusted my family.
#NotOneRedCent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:43 pm

I really don't have regrets
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:32 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:43 pm
I really don't have regrets
I don't have many, but the ones I do tend to be the ones that would have changed my life drastically if it went another way.
#NotOneRedCent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:32 am

Mid-life Crisis: The Thread
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:17 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:32 am
Mid-life Crisis: The Thread
If this is my mid-life crisis, im doing pretty good at 50…
#NotOneRedCent