Glowie or Hostile Takeover?

SuburbanFarmer

Glowie or Hostile Takeover?

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:52 pm

Had one of my weirdest experiences today. Around 6pm, dinners almost ready, watching Willy Wonka with the kids.

There’s a hurried knock on my door, the bell rings twice, another knock. Somebody’s in a hurry, so I hustle over to the door. There’s a 7-ft man in his late 50s, tells me that Spectrum wants to give me free internet. Mumbles something about a government program.

“Free? Forever?” I ask with a smile. “Well for 2 years” he says.

I smile for a moment and he hits me with “You’ve got (name of my ISP) now right? How much are ya paying for that?”
I grin with a chill going down my spine and say “bout 40 bucks”.
He leaves a card and gets in his car. Doesn’t go to the next house, just drives away after a minute.

Is this just a hostile takeover from Spectrum to get my ISP out of the neighborhood? Or something weirder?
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Martin Hash

Re: Glowie or Hostile Takeover?

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:29 pm

Dude, something's going on: I've got a plethora of incidences happening simultaneously. Just yesterday, I spent an hour on the phone resolving a huge property tax issue I thought was taken care of last February: I called back on it twice to make sure. Even with an email thread from their own office saying so, it was as if someone had told them to ignore it and not to act logically towards me. After the call, I told my wife: "They said they'll have it corrected in 2 weeks." First thing she asked: "Can you get them to email that to you?" They wouldn't.

There's other weird stuff too. An anonymous big money offer to buy my domain "hash." I've had offers before but not like this. And, luckily, I took my servers out of the country because I got an DMCA complaint out of the blue. And my service here has gone to shit: I pay for unlimited, unmetered fiber optics but it's as if I'm on a metered download. WTF?! Is the place just falling apart from all the stupid people getting jobs or are they after me?
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:50 pm

Forgot to mention - he also knew my internet speed. 50 mbps.

He said if I want to go to 200 it’ll be $25/month.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:56 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:50 pm

Damn, I pay $200/mo.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:01 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:56 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:50 pm

Damn, I pay $200/mo.
I know, it’s one of those too good to be true things. Very bizarre.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

TheOneX

Post by TheOneX » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:44 pm

I think it is just a scammer.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:54 pm

TheOneX wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:44 pm
That’s what I’m thinking but just for my info? This wasn’t a punk kid…

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

TheOneX

Post by TheOneX » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:23 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:54 pm
TheOneX wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:44 pm
That’s what I’m thinking but just for my info? This wasn’t a punk kid…
The best scammers don't look like scammers, and do their homework or have someone on the inside.

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:53 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:52 pm
Had one of my weirdest experiences today. Around 6pm, dinners almost ready, watching Willy Wonka with the kids.

There’s a hurried knock on my door, the bell rings twice, another knock. Somebody’s in a hurry, so I hustle over to the door. There’s a 7-ft man in his late 50s, tells me that Spectrum wants to give me free internet. Mumbles something about a government program.

“Free? Forever?” I ask with a smile. “Well for 2 years” he says.

I smile for a moment and he hits me with “You’ve got (name of my ISP) now right? How much are ya paying for that?”
I grin with a chill going down my spine and say “bout 40 bucks”.
He leaves a card and gets in his car. Doesn’t go to the next house, just drives away after a minute.

Is this just a hostile takeover from Spectrum to get my ISP out of the neighborhood? Or something weirder?
Spectrum does have discounts if you live in a relatively low-wealth area. I have never seen door-to-door Spectrum salesmen, though. Probably just a scammer.
Martin Hash wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:29 pm
Dude, something's going on: I've got a plethora of incidences happening simultaneously. Just yesterday, I spent an hour on the phone resolving a huge property tax issue I thought was taken care of last February: I called back on it twice to make sure. Even with an email thread from their own office saying so, it was as if someone had told them to ignore it and not to act logically towards me. After the call, I told my wife: "They said they'll have it corrected in 2 weeks." First thing she asked: "Can you get them to email that to you?" They wouldn't.

There's other weird stuff too. An anonymous big money offer to buy my domain "hash." I've had offers before but not like this. And, luckily, I took my servers out of the country because I got an DMCA complaint out of the blue. And my service here has gone to shit: I pay for unlimited, unmetered fiber optics but it's as if I'm on a metered download. WTF?! Is the place just falling apart from all the stupid people getting jobs or are they after me?
That's really weird. Have you contacted your ISP about your speeds? I feel like our little slice of the internet is of so little footprint that we wouldn't be among the ones targeted, although the NSA does say we're as good as terrorists now.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:38 am

Xenophon wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:53 am
I feel like our little slice of the internet is of so little footprint that we wouldn't be among the ones targeted, although the NSA does say we're as good as terrorists now.
I agree but FB is certainly on my ass, or at least FB algorithms, helped on by self-appointed snitches.