The Conservative wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:45 am
Haumana wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:11 am
The Conservative wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:35 am

The statement is wrong on all levels.
How so?
People can claim to be whatever they want to be to twist and bastardize the true meaning of a political movement.

Honestly, I am unsure if there are any real capital c Conservatives in Congress right now.

The truest definition of a Conservative is someone who follows and protects the Constitution. Who will fight change to it for the wrong reasons. Who will fight to keep laws off the books that will curtail the freedoms of people and give power to the government.

A conservative believes in a small governmental footprint.

They believe that a government should be there for one a few reasons, and no more.

1. To give you a chance to succeed or fail at your dreams.

2. To not punish you for failure, but help you get on your feet if you do...

3. To help if you fall on hard times, but as an ability to get back on your feet, not as an intimate support system.

4. To protect the CITIZENS of the US from enemies from without. That includes illegals.

5. The people control the government, not the other way around.

6. Live within your means. This includes government. If you can't, then something needs to change. Taxes is not the answer, not is more government.

Now, most people, including Ted Cruz would fail these expectations.

So when someone calls themselves a Conservative, there is no way they are truly are one. If anything they are a lowercase c, not an uppercase, and that is not good enough in my eyes.
Which is the sentiment behind the original quote.

TheOneX

Re: Dark Days Ahead

Post by TheOneX » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:40 am

I disagree with your interpretation of what conservative means, and would like to see people move away from it. Conservatives means someone who conserves the status quo. It isn't about moving towards anything, it is only about preventing change.

What you are describing is a Constitutionalist. I think it would be better to take up the mantle Constitutionalist and drop conservative.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:50 am

TheOneX wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:40 am
I disagree with your interpretation of what conservative means, and would like to see people move away from it. Conservatives means someone who conserves the status quo. It isn't about moving towards anything, it is only about preventing change.

What you are describing is a Constitutionalist. I think it would be better to take up the mantle Constitutionalist and drop conservative.
Or Libertyist if you’re one of us.

I agree: I’m conservative but I’m not a Conservative.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:00 am

TheOneX wrote:

:clap: I couldn't agree more.
I would add, Conservatives use Constitutionalism only as talking points.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:03 pm

TheOneX wrote:

Disagree with whom?

Have any of you noticed that there has been an uptick in voices calling for going back to the Articles of Confederation and skipping past the Constitution? Their argument is that was the real "Hay Day" of freedom.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:18 pm

Freedom isn’t the goal, liberty is:

Liberty = Freedom X Opportunity

Libertarians, anarchists & NeoCons are all about the freedom to own everything.

“The most liberty to the most people.” - me
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:20 pm

Haumana wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:36 am
The Conservative wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:45 am
Haumana wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:11 am

How so?
People can claim to be whatever they want to be to twist and bastardize the true meaning of a political movement.

Honestly, I am unsure if there are any real capital c Conservatives in Congress right now.

The truest definition of a Conservative is someone who follows and protects the Constitution. Who will fight change to it for the wrong reasons. Who will fight to keep laws off the books that will curtail the freedoms of people and give power to the government.

A conservative believes in a small governmental footprint.

They believe that a government should be there for one a few reasons, and no more.

1. To give you a chance to succeed or fail at your dreams.

2. To not punish you for failure, but help you get on your feet if you do...

3. To help if you fall on hard times, but as an ability to get back on your feet, not as an intimate support system.

4. To protect the CITIZENS of the US from enemies from without. That includes illegals.

5. The people control the government, not the other way around.

6. Live within your means. This includes government. If you can't, then something needs to change. Taxes is not the answer, not is more government.

Now, most people, including Ted Cruz would fail these expectations.

So when someone calls themselves a Conservative, there is no way they are truly are one. If anything they are a lowercase c, not an uppercase, and that is not good enough in my eyes.
Which is the sentiment behind the original quote.
Again, don't change the meaning of the words just because someone decided to make a point.
#NotOneRedCent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:21 pm

TheOneX wrote:

Conservatives were constitutionalists.
#NotOneRedCent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:22 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:00 am
TheOneX wrote:

small c conservatives.
#NotOneRedCent

TheOneX

Post by TheOneX » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:35 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:22 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:00 am
TheOneX wrote:

small c conservatives.
There is no such thing as big c Conservative. There is no party called the Conservative Party. Republicans were small c conservative.