The internet takeover thread

SuburbanFarmer

Re: The internet takeover thread

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:22 pm

And that’s without the universe fucking with you.

SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:39 pm

doc_loliday wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:14 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:47 pm
Tech dudes, is this true ?
I come across puzzling, baffling, poorly written code all the time. I've written puzzling and baffling code for various reasons. Everyone adds on to awful code, you can't just rewrite everything everytime you see it. And it goes on forever. I imagine, or least like to think, that in other fields, its different, that its better, but maybe I'm deluding myself. It's kind of a miracle anything works at all.
That''s crazy.
In dealing with Construction, I can go through all the the structures and know exactly how they were designed and how they work.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

TheOneX

Post by TheOneX » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:49 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:47 pm
Tech dudes, is this true ?
The most consequential figures in the tech world are half guys like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates and half some guy named Ronald who maintains a Unix tool called ‘runk’ which stands for Ronald’s Universal Number Kounter and handles all math for every machine on Earth.

About 85% of the people elected to Congress have no idea how the internet works; have barely processed that the Soviet Union fell in the ’80s; are likely wearing depends underneath their suits; cant understand the economy because as far as they know, you can still ride the trolley for a nickel so long as you had an onion on your belt, and oversaw the last three economic collapses and learned nothing beyond there are no consequences to them and zeroes mean nothing. Aren’t we lucky to be represented by such towering heroes?
The good news is if Ronald dies runk will continue to work for eternity.

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:54 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:39 pm
That''s crazy.
In dealing with Construction, I can go through all the the structures and know exactly how they were designed and how they work.
Well, its not as if one couldn't fix things, understand them, or make them better. It's often a cost benefit analysis. If something works, why spend tens, hundreds, or thousands of hours to make it "better"?

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:12 pm

doc_loliday wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:54 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:39 pm
That''s crazy.
Well, its not as if one couldn't fix things, understand them, or make them better. It's often a cost benefit analysis. If something works, why spend tens, hundreds, or thousands of hours to make it "better"?
Because you don't want knob and tube wiring in you old house because while it tends to be pretty safe, it still is not grounded and when it fails, it fails spectacularly.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:25 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:12 pm
Because you don't want knob and tube wiring in you old house because while it tends to be pretty safe, it still is not grounded and when it fails, it fails spectacularly.
Nah, it's not even like that. It's not that things are unsafe, its just that there are a million ways to do the same thing. With ability and time, comes better practice. As a contrived example, a new programmer might take 300 lines of code to accomplish one thing, whereas, somebody with a lot of experience might be able to do it 100, and a real expert might do it in 30. One issue is that people often have to read and/or improve programs. It's unrealistic to take the time to understand the totality of somebody's mess and rewrite it. Easier to make little changes and move on when production is at stake. And if things get that bad, eventually somebody will build something new. I'm not even in the software industry and I'm not a software programmer, I wonder how things are for people in web development.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:30 pm

AD916006-8B7C-414F-A1EC-F6B77C39309C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:32 pm

doc_loliday wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:25 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:12 pm
Nah, it's not even like that. It's not that things are unsafe, its just that there are a million ways to do the same thing. With ability and time, comes better practice. As a contrived example, a new programmer might take 300 lines of code to accomplish one thing, whereas, somebody with a lot of experience might be able to do it 100, and a real expert might do it in 30. One issue is that people often have to read and/or improve programs. It's unrealistic to take the time to understand the totality of somebody's mess and rewrite it. Easier to make little changes and move on when production is at stake. And if things get that bad, eventually somebody will build something new. I'm not even in the software industry and I'm not a software programmer, I wonder how things are for people in web development.
Well put.

Databases are worse though. Once a bad structure has been in place for a while, it’s nearly impossible to change without breaking everything that uses it.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:15 pm

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:23 am

Iceland based.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace