Current US Military

Smitty-48

Re: Current US Military

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:10 pm

Well, if you're so spooked by substitute drama teachers, probably everybody seems like a terrorist to Americans, who knew?

For a nation who fancies yourselves to be tough guys, you sho do cower from a lot of bogeyman, what's up with that?
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:11 pm

Best to shoot first and let the legal system give us a free pass. SOP.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:14 pm

Come and take this Maple Leaf from my cold dead hands, Hoss.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:16 pm

We'll keep it safe just like the Stanley Cup.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:21 pm

Captain Sidney Crosby and President Mario Lemieux are welcome to their stewardship of the Dominion Hockey Trophy, enjoy.

Hold that Maple Leaf high in America, ambassadors of the Crown, we salute you.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:14 pm

I was on a c-130 getting ready to take off once, and the crew made all of us get out of the plane and stand on the edge of the runway.

One guy climbed on top of the wing and jumped up and down on it for a minute until another crew gave him a thumbs up.

Then they told us we could get back on. We were not an encouraged bunch.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:20 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:I was on a c-130 getting ready to take off once, and the crew made all of us get out of the plane and stand on the edge of the runway.

One guy climbed on top of the wing and jumped up and down on it for a minute until another crew gave him a thumbs up.

LOL, wtf?

Did the engine on that plane not start? Could have been a fuel transfer issue. I am not familiar with those aircraft in a maintenance context, but I doubt there is anything out on that wing other than fuel tanks (with probes), fuel lines, engine and flight control.

If it was a flight control thing, I doubt they'd have taken the plane unless it was an emergency. More likely a fuel probe was stuck, or it was a fuel line or something minor.

Also, there's a good chance they were fucking with you. It's kind of what we do in the Air Force.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:29 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:I was on a c-130 getting ready to take off once, and the crew made all of us get out of the plane and stand on the edge of the runway.

LOL, wtf?

Did the engine on that plane not start? Could have been a fuel transfer issue. I am not familiar with those aircraft in a maintenance context, but I doubt there is anything out on that wing other than fuel tanks (with probes), fuel lines, engine and flight control.

If it was a flight control thing, I doubt they'd have taken the plane unless it was an emergency. More likely a fuel probe was stuck, or it was a fuel line or something minor.

Also, there's a good chance they were fucking with you. It's kind of what we do in the Air Force.
Before they made us get off there was a weird thing where the engines would spin up, and then back down. They did it several times, and I remember noticing it wasn't normal. So yeah, maybe a fuel issue.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:54 pm

After almost a decade of reporting on the Army’s crucial networks, I’d thought they’d started to get things right. Boy, was I wrong.

At a hearing this afternoon of the House Armed Services air and land subcommittee, the Army left lawmakers shaking their heads when they announced they plan to shut down the controversial WIN-T program — except they aren’t really shutting it down: They’re going to keep buying it for a year. They’re also planning to buy other hardware and software that’s not 10 years out of date, as much of the current network equipment is.

These decisions are all products of the sweeping review that Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Milley ordered of all the services’ networks, not just WIN-T. Milley sees the current systems as too vulnerable to jamming and hacking, too big a target for artillery, and too immobile for rapid maneuver. Those are tolerable weaknesses against the low-tech Taliban or Islamic State, but crippling in a high-intensity war against Russia or China. Milley faces the risk that, in the next war, the US Army’s communications will get shut down — as the Ukrainian Army’s networks were in 2014, paralyzing them against the Russian invasion.

WIN-T is heavy and took– on average– 40 to 50 hours to get equipment up on air at 16 National Training Center exercises, Crawford said. That’s not exactly the speedy, mobile, adaptable system you’d need on a modern battlefield against, say, the Russians, who can spot a target with drones and have artillery rockets inbound in minutes.

https://breakingdefense.com/2017/09/arm ... e-network/

K@th

Post by K@th » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:46 am

So they are doing training here with black hawks this week. Every night, starting around 8:00 and going until 11~ish, we hear them. On the first night, we thought there was some sort of man hunt going on. I guess a lot of people were calling and complaining, because there was a story in the paper on Tuesday.

On Tuesday, they were flying in a pattern that goes right over our house, so every 10 minutes or so, the whole house would start shaking. Last night we only heard them about every half hour.

Very cool. We have the windows open this week because it's cold, so it's extra loud. Really loud. They are flying pretty low.
Account abandoned.