Current US Military

Smitty-48

Re: Spenser Rapone and the Current US Military

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:10 am

Well you're talkin' about the "good ol' Army"? Which one was that? Was that Bill Calley's Army, or was that Tim McVeigh's Army?

Was never all that good, the US Army has to filla lotta slots, there's always been a ton o' kooks in the ranks. I would submit, there's actually less now than there's ever been, and the one's now ain't nearly as crazy as the "good ol'" ones.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:18 am

And hey, I'm not even saying I didn't have a good time working for the good ol' US Army at the tip of the spear, it was fun, but it was plenty fuckin' crazy, the crazy was half the fun, there just wasn't any Facebook around for it to break out into the public sphere.
Nec Aspera Terrent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:23 am

Oh yeah, plenty of crazies.......... we all have stories to tell about them.

Looking back at it, the NCO corps was whittled down, lost influence in an army ever increasingly worried about image and safety. Everything eventually had to go through the commander, and then senior commander.

NCO ranks that used to be self starters who could and would just go out and complete shit now seem to be looking up the chain for permission for the smallest shit.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:30 am

I read the OP and the author is lamenting the death of the good ol' army under "Schwarzkopf and McCaffery"?

RLY? He mentions Schwarzkopf in the same breath as George S. Patton? Lolwhut?

Get real, OP, Scwartzkopf was a ridiculous clown. It's just a miracle he didn't get fragged by his own troops in Vietnam, and if they had, they would have been doing America a favour, cause Stormin' Norman actually screwed the pooch.

Barry McCaffery? The drug war czar who works for MSNBC? Don't even get me started.
Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:34 am

Operation Gender Fluid

We have to spread democracy and non binary bathrooms across the world.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:39 am

Take this West Point stuff with Rapone and the issues brought up by LTC Heffington.

Where in the Hell were the NCO Cadre with Rapone ? WTF guys that is your job to enforce standards.
Command Sergeant Major David M. Clark was the Senior NCO at West Point when this happened. I hope he's questioned as to why he was not upholding standards, why he didn't take action with Rapone.
PLATA O PLOMO

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:40 am

Liberate Muslims from the patriarchy.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:43 am

I don't have a problem with the article.
Desert Storm is still relatable. I have seen articles in the past about comparing to Patton or Korea or WWII Soldiers. And those are Soldiers and Armies to be honored, but I don't mind him using Desert Storm. That Army put mission first, didn't diddle around with gender politics and crap like that.
PLATA O PLOMO

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:43 am

The NCO cadre? Dude, it's "up or out", they promote people so fast, the difference between a Sergeant and a Private? It's like three years, sometimes two, and it always was, the US Army has never been discenrning when it comes to the NCO cadre, they have to fill slots, and they have make room for the next guy coming up, the NCO cadre, is a revolving door.

But guess what, back in the good ol' Army with the draft? Even more so, exponentially more so.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:47 am

C-Mag wrote:I don't have a problem with the article.
Desert Storm is still relatable. I have seen articles in the past about comparing to Patton or Korea or WWII Soldiers. And those are Soldiers and Armies to be honored, but I don't mind him using Desert Storm. That Army put mission first, didn't diddle around with gender politics and crap like that.
Bullshit, Desert Storm was the biggest bullshit war of them all, Vietnam actually made sense when compared to the lunacy in Desert Storm, and the Army in Vietnam, Kobayashi Maru as Vietnam may have been, was a better army, which fought better, and won more, for a much more just cause.

Desert Storm was a joke, the biggest phoney baloney dog n' pony show in the history of warfare, and the hero, Stormin' Norman, he actually screwed the pooch, and his much ballyhooed "Left Flank!" manuever? Never happened, ask Fred Franks, Fred Franks; "Never happened, Schwarzkopf was too scared to let it happen, lest he run into some actual trouble in the process and suffer any casualties at all, so he just let the Republican Guard escape..."
Nec Aspera Terrent