Hurricane Harvey

Speaker to Animals

Re: Hurricane Harvey

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:57 am

Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:He's going to run out of power before long.
I've been telling him to buy a solar panel for months. Off grid is the way forward.
No chicken tendies, no palatable water, skies still overcast with more rain on its way--if only I had a solar panel....
:think:

The taco trucks are on their way up, though.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:57 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Montegriffo wrote: I've been telling him to buy a solar panel for months. Off grid is the way forward.
No chicken tendies, no palatable water, skies still overcast with more rain on its way--if only I had a solar panel....

The taco trucks are on their way up, though.
That'll make the fire ants happy.
They have to be starving.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:54 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:He's going to run out of power before long.
I've been telling him to buy a solar panel for months. Off grid is the way forward.
He has a fishing rod and a stove to boil water what he needs is enough battery life to keep him occupied while he works out where his next beer is coming from.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:10 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:Looks like GCF's hateful fake news already collapsed:

https://newstalk1130.iheart.com/feature ... Y.facebook
I hope you're not waiting for some sort of mea culpa.
Standing by for a mea culpa. :)
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:40 pm

Everything is fine. Sky is blue. Water receded. Went to work half a day and clean up a little. Been fishing all afternoon at the park.

Houston is a massive area. My area never flooded like I suspected it wouldn't, this having been the fourth flood in as many years nearly. Only thing that had me concerned was the damn levels.

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:22 pm

apeman wrote:
KerningChameleon wrote:I'm sure Fife and the other resident libertarians have a well-thought out and perfectly reasonable argument for why government aided relief will always be strictly inferior to a purely private system to manage the crisis instead. Probably involving an anecdote about owners fining the water for illegitimately squatting on their toll roads.

With a side tangent denouncing all the people scavenging the flooded and empty Save-a-Lots for soggy bread loaves for violating ironclad property rights.
Not a libertarian, but I have noticed you have few "well-thought out" ideas, period, although a lot of snark, but want to point out why it HAS to be the federal govt doing most of the MASSIVE rebuild.

The money isn't coming from somewhere, we're not raising taxes nationally (in any meaningful way) to pay for Harvey, only the federal govt can metaphorically print up the piles of loot out of thin air to fund the effort. Obviously states don't print their own currency.

The libertarian response is probably along the line of: if we paid much less taxes, there would by much more $$$ to be donated to rescue, and donated/invested in the rebuild. Not sure if that's reasonable view, we'll never get to see it tried.

FYI private investors made a lot of money on teh Katrina rebuild, actually read about it this AM, but a lot of that is likely just front-running federal dollars, which is the surest way to wealth in our system
Maybe the feds HAVE to do it. Maybe. With the level of crowding out and moral hazard going on, how could we every really know? The evidence we do have is pretty favorable to the efficiency of the greedy robber barons in helping people.

Herr Prof. Shughart, who I took 3 classes from in undergrad, and who taught me the First Rule of Macro, sets it out pretty well: Disaster Relief as Bad Public Policy

Check out footnote 19 re: the Red Cross and page 533-534 re: the Walmart, Home Depot, and FedEx before, during, and after Katrina.

apeman

Post by apeman » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:31 pm

The Baptists and the Bootleggers.

Can't always tell who is who, but both are present.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:33 pm

apeman wrote:The Baptists and the Bootleggers.

Can't always tell who is who, but both are present.

What if I told you they were the same people?

apeman

Post by apeman » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:38 pm

ssu

Post by ssu » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:41 pm

Nukedog wrote:Everything is fine. Sky is blue. Water receded. Went to work half a day and clean up a little. Been fishing all afternoon at the park.

Houston is a massive area. My area never flooded like I suspected it wouldn't, this having been the fourth flood in as many years nearly. Only thing that had me concerned was the damn levels.
An outsider can only assume this is the case when you don't see anymore new news articles from Houston. But you never get the final news article that the flood is over.