North Korea News

de officiis

North Korea News

Post by de officiis » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:01 pm

Figured there was enough going on about North Korea lately that a separate thread is in order.

The latest is a defector who breathlessly reports to Lester Holt that Kim Jong Un is crazy and will nuke anyone who so much as lobs a snowball toward North Korea. And Trump snorting that China better damn well do something about N. Korea soon, or else. Whatever that means (probably nothing).

TheReal_ND

Re: North Korea News

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:06 pm

Change thread title to best Korea

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:16 pm

I have a policy against putting any stock in the annual hyping up of the NK boogeyman that has repeated dozens of times in my life and never materialized in the apocalypse that I've oft been assured lay just over the horizon.

It makes me think everyone's gotten amnesia, because I thought a lot of other people also had this policy.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:21 pm

Well one of their latest test missiles landed only 200 km or miles off the coast of Japan iirc. Their nuclear capabilities are apparently getting ostensibly better and not quite as laughable as they were only a few years ago (thanks Clintons.) Their general pattern is push provocation and sue for money but it's not really funny anymore because they are getting better at actually threatening us.

KerningChameleon

Post by KerningChameleon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:29 pm

That old chestnut about "fish and visitors" also applies to defectors. North Korean defectors especially tend to have such sheer culture shock they'll say anything they can think of to try and get the Powers That Be to intervene in North Korea and break the stalemate. Take what hard numbers you can from them, then kick them to the curb the moment they start spouting bleeding heart/sky is falling nonsense. That's what leads to shit like dumbass college students taking vacations to NK's premiere international hotel and giving the Kim's more money.

Honestly, I actually like Donald's "hard stance" on North Korea. I'll stop approving if he or his administration actually takes any military action against the country, but bluffing the Chinese into addressing the growing stench of dogshit on their porch has been a long time coming, I feel. Also, put the diplomatic pressure on whoever ends up assuming power in the South to not stop THAAD deployment, that'll help loads too.
"Old World Blues.' It refers to those so obsessed with the past they can't see the present, much less the future, for what it is. They stare into the what-was...as the realities of their world continue on around them." -Fallout New Vegas

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:11 pm

Well alright...

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:29 pm

The North just wants to advertise their shit to potential buyers....they're running out of $$$ fast which they need to keep power.....China will most likely funnel cash to the oligarchs to keep the country from collapsing....I kind of wish they would do the world a favor and just annex the dam place.

The North won't dare nuke a western country (or their allies) - it would be the end of their reign.

Also - the spoiled child king thinks the only way to avoid ending up like Sadam or Omar is to actually get viable nukes....if the North falls - Kim will be hunted down like a rapid dog and shot on site.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:34 pm

Maybe they need some chemical weapon attack footage to drum up more support for war.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:58 pm

https://www.carnegiecouncil.org/studio/ ... orth-korea

Options degraded from years of failed Obama weak diplomacy. Probably the most serious foreign policy dilemma for Trump. War and regime change not really options. China won't be a strong partner in dealing with N. Korea. Only potentially successful strategies = crippling sanctions (can't do without China), negotiations, or some combination.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:13 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... #img-1It's

“President Xi clearly understands, and I think agrees, that the situation has intensified and has reached a certain level of threat that action has to be taken,” Tillerson said.

Korean War 2: Kim Jong Boogaloo confirmed