Rednecks Aren't Nativists

Fife

Rednecks Aren't Nativists

Post by Fife » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:49 am

Joe Bob Briggs brings a little cultural awareness to you snowflakes in your towers.

:goteam:

A Brief History of the Redneck

Last week, when I outed myself as an Angry White Man, I got some of that dreaded “nativist” fan mail. (Is it my imagination or has the word “nativist” been used more times in the past two months than in all previous recorded history?)

Let me make this clear: I’m not a nativist, I’m a redneck. There’s a difference. A nativist would be one of those snooty New Englanders in the Mayflower Society. Blue bloods in ruffled shirts. Think Adlai Stevenson…Noah Webster…William Rehnquist. Congregationalists. Pointy-nosed moralizers. Some of them could be angry—Jonathan Edwards comes to mind—but they were angry in a sort of clench-jawed Connecticut debutante way. Ewwwww, don’t talk to her, she’s such a Kappa.

The nativist idea of a rebellion is to dress up like Indians and dump tea in the ocean—the 18th-century version of frat boys pranking the archrival football team.

The redneck idea of a rebellion is to lie in wait with a shotgun for the guy who’s trying to tax your whiskey.

Rednecks are scary. Rednecks are Presbyterian.

Anti-federalism was baked in the cake from the start with the Declaration and the Revolution. The clever yankees ran quite a game in Philadelphia in 87.

C-Mag

Re: Rednecks Aren't Nativists

Post by C-Mag » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:18 am

That was Awesome !

I had a basic understanding of the origins of the term Redneck, and I've been in the South enough, and stayed with Southern friends to have a flavor of the culture. But that article really fleshed out the mind of the Redneck to me.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:58 pm

I really, really want to read Albion's Seed. It covers all of this stuff.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:15 pm

Xenophon wrote:I really, really want to read Albion's Seed. It covers all of this stuff.
Indeed, John Cotton; South of England. Johnny Reb; Scots-Irish.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:16 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Xenophon wrote:I really, really want to read Albion's Seed. It covers all of this stuff.
Indeed, John Cotton; South of England. Johnny Reb; Scots-Irish.
:handgestures-salute:

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:31 pm

Jackboots McMapleleaf; Ulster.

:salutes:
Nec Aspera Terrent

apeman

Post by apeman » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:10 pm

The book review of Albion's Seed on Slate Star Codex is an excellent extended summary FWIW