Supervolcano 'ready to blow'

Okeefenokee

Re: Supervolcano 'ready to blow'

Post by Okeefenokee » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:46 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:

Too much energy for this any time soon. These things are a straight shot into the mantle. The volume of their magma chambers are absolutely massive.

Maybe it's possible to widen the chambers, though.. not sure. Probably should test that out in the European one before we mess with Yellowstone.
Be interesting to see the numbers on what kind of energy could be extracted from these things to draw down their potential.

It would be enormous, but how?
I'm thinking of something the size of the large hadron collider, but an oil pipeline. You've got a lot of heat coming up. Build a circuit with a pipeline that circulates a pipe through that high heat area to draw heat from it and use it to boil water to spin turbines like we do with most other power plants. Not an engineer yet, and just spit balling off the top of my head, but it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to capture that thermal energy.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:58 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
Be interesting to see the numbers on what kind of energy could be extracted from these things to draw down their potential.

It would be enormous, but how?
I'm thinking of something the size of the large hadron collider, but an oil pipeline. You've got a lot of heat coming up. Build a circuit with a pipeline that circulates a pipe through that high heat area to draw heat from it and use it to boil water to spin turbines like we do with most other power plants. Not an engineer yet, and just spit balling off the top of my head, but it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to capture that thermal energy.

We are talking about magma, though.

It's probably over 2,000F. Even titanium burns.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:02 pm

We could do geothermal power plants, but it would intrude on the park.

Besides, what would our starving oil executives do?
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:50 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Besides, what would our starving oil executives do?
They'd be sacrificed to the Volcano Saints (Bah! Gods? What am i? A pagan?). The Most Esteemable Saints of Magma do not care for competition in the energy sector. Burning people for displeasing the King of Heaven and his Saints is the only option for any pious, honorable person. :pray:
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.