The Fed Ex Driver and the Flag

Okeefenokee

Re: The Fed Ex Driver and the Flag

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:49 pm

KerningChameleon wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:Point being I can do whatever the fuck I want to the Union Jack free of any repercussion. With the American flag.... less so.

It's not that I'm really invested in that flag as a rallying point anyway. Half of my "fellow Americans" are from somewhere other than Western Europe and I want them the fuck out.
I'm still not clear what your plan for these "Native Americans" and their federally recognized independent nations you so hate is. Unless you want them kicked out of Oklahoma and sent back to their ancestral US East Coast, which seems like a lateral move from your perspective.
You realize you didn't get the internet from the natives, right? Furthermore, you didn't get Britain from the natives.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

KerningChameleon

Post by KerningChameleon » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:52 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
KerningChameleon wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:Point being I can do whatever the fuck I want to the Union Jack free of any repercussion. With the American flag.... less so.

It's not that I'm really invested in that flag as a rallying point anyway. Half of my "fellow Americans" are from somewhere other than Western Europe and I want them the fuck out.
I'm still not clear what your plan for these "Native Americans" and their federally recognized independent nations you so hate is. Unless you want them kicked out of Oklahoma and sent back to their ancestral US East Coast, which seems like a lateral move from your perspective.
You realize you didn't get the internet from the natives, right? Furthermore, you didn't get Britain from the natives.
No, but I do get a certain degree of my genes from my great-great grandfather and his ancestral line. Not a joke, my mother told me he was "literally brick red".
"Old World Blues.' It refers to those so obsessed with the past they can't see the present, much less the future, for what it is. They stare into the what-was...as the realities of their world continue on around them." -Fallout New Vegas

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:56 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:I hope they use sustainable bearskins for those Busby hats.
They need a whole American black bear hide per hat according to google.
A Bearskin is a Bearskin, a Busby is a Busby, they're not the same thing, the Household Infantry wear the Bearskin, the Busby; is the Hungarian Shako, most famously worn by Hussars.
Ah, my mistake. I though they were the Grenadier Guards or is that the same thing as the Household Infantry?
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:00 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:I hope they use sustainable bearskins for those Busby hats.
They need a whole American black bear hide per hat according to google.
A Bearskin is a Bearskin, a Busby is a Busby, they're not the same thing, the Household Infantry wear the Bearskin, the Busby; is the Hungarian Shako, most famously worn by Hussars.
Ah, my mistake. I though they were the Grenadier Guards or is that the same thing as the Household Infantry?
Same-same; Household Infantry, or, the Foot Guards; Grenadier Guards, Coldstream Guards, Scots Guards, Welsh Guards, Irish Guards.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:06 pm

Canadian Household Infantry; The Governor General's Foot Guards, The Canadian Grenadier Guards.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:09 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Same-same; Household Infantry, or, the Foot Guards; Grenadier Guards, Coldstream Guards, Scots Guards, Welsh Guards, Irish Guards.
I never came across any of them in my time at STANTA.
I only ever fed the Household Cavalry out of all the Royal Guards.

The troopers used to bring their helmets to put under my hot lamps to straighten out the plumes before ceremonial duties on the open day they used to have.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:17 pm

Without a doubt, amongst the finest infantry regiments in the world, in the history of the world in fact, combining all the capabilities of Regular British Army Line Infantry, with the World Gold Standard for Public Duties on parade, both taskings, a career unto themselves, executed by the same soldiers.

There are some, who can match them in the field, there are some, who can match them on parade, but there are none, who can match them at both, in the same formation.

Mind you, The Royal Canadian Regiment, is damn close, but I would still give the Guards the slight edge on parade.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:30 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Without a doubt, amongst the finest infantry regiments in the world, in the history of the world in fact, combining all the capabilities of Regular British Army Line Infantry, with the World Gold Standard for Public Duties on parade, both taskings, a career unto themselves, executed by the same soldiers.

There are some, who can match them in the field, there are some, who can match them on parade, but there are none, who can match them at both, in the same formation.
Funny you should say that. I remember my Dad saying he went to watch the changing of the guard not long after he had done his National Service and he thought their drill was a bit sloppy.
I was told the Household cavalry was split into two units with the Blues and Royals being the fighting unit and the others being purely ceremonial. The Sgts in my mess averaged about 18 stone so I don't think they would have been very good on the front lines.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:35 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:Without a doubt, amongst the finest infantry regiments in the world, in the history of the world in fact, combining all the capabilities of Regular British Army Line Infantry, with the World Gold Standard for Public Duties on parade, both taskings, a career unto themselves, executed by the same soldiers.

Funny you should say that. I remember my Dad saying he went to watch the changing of the guard not long after he had done his National Service and he thought their drill was a bit sloppy.
Oh well certainly an experienced eye can see all the mistakes, I notice all the mistakes and they drive me up the wall, reflexively, as a Drill Instructor, but at the same time, all troops make those mistakes, you see them on every parade, you don't get to the level of perfection that someone like myself has achieved, when you are a Junior Rank, takes years of dedication to march off on parade in sublime perfection, and unfortunately, you can never quite get the Private Soldiers to reach that standard, that standard for them, is aspirational.

None the less, you wont find a consistently better combination of field soldiering and parade square soldiering, in the same formation, on the agregate, and I'm quite sure that If I had had your ol Da and his NS mates on the parade square, I would be beasting them mercilessly for all the mistakes they was making as well.

The Guards have proved their mettle, time and again, case in point, 2nd Bn. Scots Guards; straight from Public Duties in London, on the boat off the boat, and right up Tumbledown Mountain, no predeployment training whatsover.

Of course, being the seditious Argie loving bastard that you are, you'd probably declaim that as a "war crime" no doubt.
Nec Aspera Terrent

KerningChameleon

Post by KerningChameleon » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:11 pm

KerningChameleon wrote:

I'm waaaaaaaiting...

EDIT: In the meantime, enjoy this totally rad image:

"Old World Blues.' It refers to those so obsessed with the past they can't see the present, much less the future, for what it is. They stare into the what-was...as the realities of their world continue on around them." -Fallout New Vegas