China, A Communist Nation

Zlaxer

Re: China, A Communist Nation

Post by Zlaxer » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:24 pm

BjornP wrote:
Zlaxer wrote:Back to China -

Not feeling comfortable with the Chinese businesses buying up so much media in Hollywood.....China is not our friend, they're nobody's friend - not even their own citizens.....they've openly stated that they're trying to "rebrand" the Chinese government in the eyes of the world.....

FUCK THE PRC :evil:
I doubt China would need to slip paper envelopes to Hollywood execs to rebrand China... Behind the Hollywood liberal actors and directors, there lie businesses simply wanting to make more money. China's a huge market simply = Make movies the Chinese would like to watch. So, they're already doing it, without needing Chinese companies actually taking over their studios.

And hell, Hollywood gets paid... at the end that's Americans making dollars off of the Chinese, just like most of your movies and TV shows have gotten sold to Europe like nobody's business for several decades. Capitalism's working as intended.
Respectfully, I think you misunderstand....its not the PRC wanting to make movies Chinese want to see...its the PRC trying to subvertly change westerners' view of the PRC by controlling the image of the PRC in western media...you know, good old state sanctioned propaganda.....

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:07 pm

Atm, seems the Chinese influence seems more commercial, with US action heroes using (to a Chinese consumer) well known Chinese products in their product placing. Anyway, just like old Soviet propaganda's efficiency was mostly aimed at those Americans who were either pre-Soviet sympathizers already, or groups fundamentally at odds with the system and power structure and given the general rep of China, I don't see China competing with the degree of influence of Russian or even Iranian propaganda in the US.

They need a sizeable, popular base defendingthem for any propaganda to have an effect.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:15 pm

Best way to go about it is more Hollywood films like the Ip Man franchise, which was mildly propagandistic. They are making some really good films out of there right now. I'd imagine they could do screenplays that feature Americans and Chinese together doing stuff. Something about the Flying Tigers would be interesting.

Imagine a miniseries that is some kind of SF story about space invasion with hard SF elements like BSG had, but with joint American and Chinese casts depicting the two super powers in the future joining together to fight a common enemy.

Stuff like that is how you will win hearts and minds of Americans.

But even their first Ip Man film was low-key in that propaganda element. They went way to easy on the Japanese there, making them look a lot more humane than they really were. I thought that was odd.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:44 pm

Didn't Americans and Chinese cooperate in The Martian...
a bit of a start there... pretty weak tho
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:45 pm

DrYouth wrote:Didn't Americans and Chinese cooperate in The Martian...
Read the book.

Do you do that?

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:04 pm

Fife wrote:
Read the book.

Do you do that?
I read books...

But not The Martian... it wasn't that great of a movie...

Why?
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:13 pm

Nevermind, you've answered the question.

Penner

Post by Penner » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:15 pm

DrYouth wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:
DrYouth wrote:
Huh? What's the AFCA?
The Affordable Care Act. I refuse to call it Obomacare like the media does. Sounds silly.
It's a crap deal... written by lobbyists to protect the profits of Big Health Insurance...
The problem is that health care is not well managed by private entities... it's not well managed by public ones either but the state needs to at least oversee the process with some authority or else the commoners will be milked for every last penny and then left to die in squalor.
Obamacare was a bad attempt at a compromise that Big Insurance had too much of a hand in writing up.
I have mix feelings. I don't like the mandatory buying of insurance nor the fact that there were no caps placed on drug prices or the fact that there was no Public Option alternative to buying private insurance. But I did like that they outlawed those lifetime caps that were placed on people, and the fact that it's not illegal to sell woman insurance at higher prices than men, etc...

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:18 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Fife wrote:
Read the book.

Do you do that?
I read books...

But not The Martian... it wasn't that great of a movie...

Why?
Read it. It's good. Movie is a garbage heap.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Calculus Man

Post by Calculus Man » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:19 am

Fife wrote:
Read the book.

Do you do that?
It's been a while since I read/watched The Martian, but if I remember right, the book portrayed the Chinese in a much more realistic light. Before they helped NASA, they asked for something in return.

In the movie, the Chinese simply helped out of the goodness of their hearts.

I noticed it right away while watching the movie--it killed my suspension of disbelief.