Mysterious Radio Signal From Space.............

Penner

Mysterious Radio Signal From Space.............

Post by Penner » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:30 pm

(CNN)A mysterious signal that has confounded scientists for years has been traced to a spot in the sky more than 3 billion light-years away.

Almost a decade after the first fast radio burst (FRB) was discovered, an international team of researchers has pinpointed the origin of one such signal as a dwarf galaxy in the pentagon-shaped constellation Auriga.

Scientists originally thought the signal -- sporadic bursts of radio waves -- was coming from within the Milky Way itself, or from our closest galactic neighbors, but a new report in the journal Nature confirms it emanates from a tiny galaxy 1% the mass of our own.

"These radio flashes must have enormous amounts of energy to be visible from over 3 billion light-years away," Cornell University researcher Shami Chatterjee said in a statement.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/04/world/dwa ... index.html

If it turns out that it wasn't aliens just blasting their radios, this is still pretty cool.

Speaker to Animals

Re: Mysterious Radio Signal From Space.............

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:37 pm

Can you imagine how badly something like that would fuck with any burgeoning technological civilizations in that galaxy?

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:35 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Can you imagine how badly something like that would fuck with any burgeoning technological civilizations in that galaxy?
What do you mean? Like if we encountered them independence day style?
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:43 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Can you imagine how badly something like that would fuck with any burgeoning technological civilizations in that galaxy?

I mean, this object generates massive radio bursts that we can detect with ease some three billion light years away. That would interfere with your communication systems. It might even wreck advanced technology. It's a cosmic EMP attack.

Penner

Post by Penner » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:56 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:

I mean, this object generates massive radio bursts that we can detect with ease some three billion light years away. That would interfere with your communication systems. It might even wreck advanced technology. It's a cosmic EMP attack.

So, are you saying that this is a possible alien EMP attack?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:00 pm

Penner wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:

No. I am saying it might suck big time for any technological civilization getting swamped by a super-massive radio burst every few years.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:03 pm

Penner wrote:

No. I am saying it might suck big time for any technological civilization getting swamped by a super-massive radio burst every few years.
Yeah that makes sense. Good sci-fi material.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:08 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
Penner wrote:

Yeah that makes sense. Good sci-fi material.

I would rather write it in our own galaxy, where they keep getting their shit wrecked by a nearby pulsar. That way you can reasonably introduce human interaction.

For instance, what if you had a period of about an Earth year to get in there and get some of them out before the thing blasts the system in the next period. Maybe they are able to detect our civilization in between periods, and send out a distress signal.

Or could you build spaceships without electronics that could get you out of the system and on your way to a better region of space?