Free College?

Ex-California

Re: Free College?

Post by Ex-California » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:57 am

Zlaxer wrote:
Penner wrote:I won't dismiss whole fields of study (and a lot of them are considered to be part of classical education- the same kind that people like Thomas Jefferson would've study in their hay day) because they aren't part of the STEM/computer/trade job fields.
Jefferson didn't live in the post-information revolution age.....and many Stems do in fact take classical courses....it's usually the non-stem majors who forgo stem courses.....
GE doesn't count
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:58 am

MilSpecs wrote:
Zlaxer wrote:
Zlaxer wrote:

I fully support paying for trade schools.....

There's no shame in pursuing a trade...the real shame is that Academia career-shamed (That's right I'm coining a term) high skill blue collar jobs....shit....electricians and welders can easily make over 100K.....Blue collar?
No shame but not enough money. I don't know where you live that welders make six figures but none of the welders in my company make as much as the accountant.
Must be area-specific. Around here welders and electricians are going to be making more and in higher demand than your run of the mill office drone
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:23 am

You have to project what areas are needed. If you need more nurses, then pay for nursing school for the best students. If you need more chemical engineers, then pay for chemical engineering for the best students.

I think where this stuff goes wrong is the underlying assumption that everybody has some right to a college education. It can help society greatly to pay for the best students to go to college or trade school, but paying everybody to study whatever they want is going to cause some obvious problems.

And let's be honest about what the progs are up to. They want the ability to indoctrinate more people in their pseudo-academic programs. They want more professional victims.

apeman

Post by apeman » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:57 am

I live in NY. My paralegal's daughter is going off to college in a year. Paralegal plus husband make ~5K over the 125K limit, so no free college for them.

Seems legit.

On the upside, at least all those dedicated highs school students who totally most certainly took advantage of free high school can now continue that appreciation and commitment at free college.

Do we actually need more college degrees? What will happen when EVERYONE has a college degree? Well, it will be the new high school degree, and you will need an advanced degree to differentiate. There are still gonna be winners and losers, and the differentiation/accreditation game will just move one more step down the road. Good for the uni/accreditation industries, not so good for anyone else.

On the double upside, at least I can completely mail it in as a professor at a community college once I get burnt out from lawyering.

SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:10 am

apeman wrote:I live in NY. My paralegal's daughter is going off to college in a year. Paralegal plus husband make ~5K over the 125K limit, so no free college for them.

Seems legit.

On the upside, at least all those dedicated highs school students who totally most certainly took advantage of free high school can now continue that appreciation and commitment at free college.

Do we actually need more college degrees? What will happen when EVERYONE has a college degree? Well, it will be the new high school degree, and you will need an advanced degree to differentiate. There are still gonna be winners and losers, and the differentiation/accreditation game will just move one more step down the road. Good for the uni/accreditation industries, not so good for anyone else.

On the double upside, at least I can completely mail it in as a professor at a community college once I get burnt out from lawyering.
it already is.
There is a time for good men to do bad things.

For fuck sake, 1984 is NOT an instruction manual!

:character-bowser: __________ :character-mario: :character-luigi:

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:01 am

apeman wrote:I live in NY. My paralegal's daughter is going off to college in a year. Paralegal plus husband make ~5K over the 125K limit, so no free college for them.

Seems legit.

So what, they make $130k a year together?

Have one of them quit. Free college will probably be saving them more per year than what one of them is making at ~65k/year

Or is the free part just for the tuition and not the other high costs attached to college?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:07 am

They could just get a divorce and legally cohabitate.

Isn't the welfare game fun?

apeman

Post by apeman » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:13 am

California wrote:So what, they make $130k a year together?

Have one of them quit. Free college will probably be saving them more per year than what one of them is making at ~65k/year

Or is the free part just for the tuition and not the other high costs attached to college?
Do you approve of a policy that incentivizes one of them to quit their job so that they can qualify for free college?

I was pointing out the obvious negative externalities with my comment. Was that not obvious?

SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:25 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:They could just get a divorce and legally cohabitate.

Bingo!
There is a time for good men to do bad things.

For fuck sake, 1984 is NOT an instruction manual!

:character-bowser: __________ :character-mario: :character-luigi:

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:07 pm

SilverEagle wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:They could just get a divorce and legally cohabitate.

Bingo!
and roger.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751