Free College?

Zlaxer

Re: Free College?

Post by Zlaxer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:32 pm

Zlaxer wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:Teachers are in demand. So are electricians and etc etc. maybe a two year course in welding.... fuck yeah.

I fully support paying for trade schools.....

There's no shame in pursuing a trade...the real shame is that Academia career-shamed (That's right I'm coining a term) high skill blue collar jobs....shit....electricians and welders can easily make over 100K.....Blue collar?

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:57 pm

Zlaxer wrote:
Zlaxer wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:Teachers are in demand. So are electricians and etc etc. maybe a two year course in welding.... fuck yeah.

I fully support paying for trade schools.....

There's no shame in pursuing a trade...the real shame is that Academia career-shamed (That's right I'm coining a term) high skill blue collar jobs....shit....electricians and welders can easily make over 100K.....Blue collar?
No shame but not enough money. I don't know where you live that welders make six figures but none of the welders in my company make as much as the accountant.
:royalty-queen:

Penner

Post by Penner » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:08 pm

I won't dismiss whole fields of study (and a lot of them are considered to be part of classical education- the same kind that people like Thomas Jefferson would've study in their hay day) because they aren't part of the STEM/computer/trade job fields.

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:16 pm

Penner wrote:I won't dismiss whole fields of study (and a lot of them are considered to be part of classical education- the same kind that people like Thomas Jefferson would've study in their hay day) because they aren't part of the STEM/computer/trade job fields.
Jefferson didn't live in the post-information revolution age.....and many Stems do in fact take classical courses....it's usually the non-stem majors who forgo stem courses.....

Penner

Post by Penner » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:19 pm

Zlaxer wrote:
Penner wrote:I won't dismiss whole fields of study (and a lot of them are considered to be part of classical education- the same kind that people like Thomas Jefferson would've study in their hay day) because they aren't part of the STEM/computer/trade job fields.
Jefferson didn't live in the post-information revolution age.....and many Stems do in fact take classical courses....it's usually the non-stem majors who forgo stem courses.....
The problem that I see with way of thinking is that you have to have at least a BA/BS in something in order to get a job that isn't flipping burgers.

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:24 pm

Penner wrote:
Zlaxer wrote:
The problem that I see with way of thinking is that you have to have at least a BA/BS in something in order to get a job that isn't flipping burgers.

There won't be many jobs for non-stems in the very near future...not even flipping burgers....presently, nearly all repetitive jobs are capable of being automated....its simply a matter of costs....watch what happens as automation costs come down while min wage goes up....You can cry, kick, scream, deny all you want....but the trend is undeniable....most people will be economically worthless in a few years....

Penner

Post by Penner » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:51 pm

Zlaxer wrote:
Penner wrote:
Zlaxer wrote:

There won't be many jobs for non-stems in the very near future...not even flipping burgers....presently, nearly all repetitive jobs are capable of being automated....its simply a matter of costs....watch what happens as automation costs come down while min wage goes up....You can cry, kick, scream, deny all you want....but the trend is undeniable....most people will be economically worthless in a few years....
Except for the teachers, accountants, police, fire, etc...

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:19 pm

No to free college.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:36 am

Penner wrote:
Zlaxer wrote:
Penner wrote:

Except for the teachers, accountants, police, fire, etc...

I think you're going to be very surprised.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:55 am

Things that are economically worthless can have value, just as things that are economically valuable can be basically worthless.

How many more hookup-aps does the world really need? I wouldn't mind a world flooded with more historians and philosophers though.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen