Free College?

Penner

Free College?

Post by Penner » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:23 pm

New York governor Andrew Cuomo on Tuesday announced a plan to make tuition at state colleges and universities free for families earning less than $125,000 a year, a sign that the recent surge in student debt remains a politically potent issue even after the defeat of Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton.

"This society should say, 'We're going to pay for college because you need college to be successful.' And New York State is going to do something about it," Cuomo said.

Cuomo made the announcement at LaGuardia Community College in the New York City borough of Queens, where he appeared with Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont. Sanders made free college tuition a cornerstone of his failed bid for the Democratic presidential nomination last year. And some of Sanders's free tuition policy was ultimately adopted by the party's eventual nominee, Hillary Clinton.

The Cuomo plan would offer free tuition at two-year community colleges, and four-year colleges and universities operated by the State University of New York and City University of New York systems. While splashy, it still is just a plan and will require a vote by the state Legislature.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/bern ... n-new-york

I kind of like this idea a lot!

Fife

Re: Free College?

Post by Fife » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:27 pm

Free shit !!!

Be sure to get the proper forms from your friendly state lottery agent on your next trip for cheesy poofs and chicken parts.

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:41 pm

WTF is society going to do with all the new PolySci and Gender studies majors :clap:

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:46 pm

NYC colleges used to be free. My dad got his undergrad degree from CUNY, aka the poor man's Harvard. It had more Nobel prize laureates than any other college in the U.S. The investment obviously paid off.
:royalty-queen:

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:48 pm

Obviously. I mean, amirite?

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:49 pm

MilSpecs wrote:NYC colleges used to be free. My dad got his undergrad degree from CUNY, aka the poor man's Harvard. It had more Nobel prize laureates than any other college in the U.S. The investment obviously paid off.
Not free to everyone though.....maybe qualified high performing HS students? hmmm...yes?

I foresee a colossal waste of money...

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:54 pm

lol I'm going to NYC for free school. Fuck yeah. :P

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:57 pm

Zlaxer wrote:
MilSpecs wrote:NYC colleges used to be free. My dad got his undergrad degree from CUNY, aka the poor man's Harvard. It had more Nobel prize laureates than any other college in the U.S. The investment obviously paid off.
Not free to everyone though.....maybe qualified high performing HS students? hmmm...yes?

He went before and after open enrollment. My in-laws went to CUNY long before open enrollment. The free city college system was an amazing success - it would be interesting to calculate how much the cost of education there returned to the economy.
:royalty-queen:

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:59 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
Zlaxer wrote:

He went before and after open enrollment. My in-laws went to CUNY long before open enrollment. The free city college system was an amazing success - it would be interesting to calculate how much the cost of education there returned to the economy.
Still missing the point.....the ROI back then was probably good....It's easy to make a good product from good materials.....but shit usually remains shit....no matter how much its processed....
Last edited by Zlaxer on Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:59 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:lol I'm going to NYC for free school. Fuck yeah. :P
Prepare to sit your white freckled flag-pole-licking ass in the corner, Froggie. Oh, and keep your fucking mouth shut.

Other than that, if you have some accredited medical issue, welcome!