Mein Kampf - German Best Seller

BjornP

Re: Mein Kampf - German Best Seller

Post by BjornP » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:40 pm

History never repeats itself and it certainly never repeats itself on a 1:1 scale. That's like expecting putting a thousand Mongols on horseback starts a new Mongol invasion because becoming a horde is "just in dem Mongol bones". Adding to that, I borrowed Mein Kampf at 14 or so, too. That's hardly indicitive of being or becoming a Nazi. As Otern says, it's simply historical curiousity. Banning historical sources isn't really a good way to learn about history.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:58 pm

BjornP wrote:History never repeats itself and it certainly never repeats itself on a 1:1 scale. That's like expecting putting a thousand Mongols on horseback starts a new Mongol invasion because becoming a horde is "just in dem Mongol bones". Adding to that, I borrowed Mein Kampf at 14 or so, too. That's hardly indicitive of being or becoming a Nazi. As Otern says, it's simply historical curiousity. Banning historical sources isn't really a good way to learn about history.
I'm not saying it's going to repeat on a 1:1 scale. What I am saying is those evil words can take root giving the current and ongoing conditions in the world. Also I'm not saying that the book should be banned at all.
There is a time for good men to do bad things.

For fuck sake, 1984 is NOT an instruction manual!

:character-bowser: __________ :character-mario: :character-luigi:

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:21 pm

SilverEagle wrote:What I am saying is those evil words can take root giving the current and ongoing conditions in the world. Also I'm not saying that the book should be banned at all.
And how and why do you imagine those "evil words" would take root amongst the Germans? And I get that you're saying it shouldn't be banned, but why worry about Germans borrowing MK, at all? Seeing evil does not make anyone adopt evil.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:48 pm

Evil words. Jesus Christ dude. Go get a Ford or Stalag version and read it for yourself. I can tell you have some sort of phobia against it.

SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:48 am

BjornP wrote:
SilverEagle wrote:What I am saying is those evil words can take root giving the current and ongoing conditions in the world. Also I'm not saying that the book should be banned at all.
And how and why do you imagine those "evil words" would take root amongst the Germans? And I get that you're saying it shouldn't be banned, but why worry about Germans borrowing MK, at all? Seeing evil does not make anyone adopt evil.
Despair, desperation, those things can distort even the strongest minds under extreme stress and yes a loss of safety, loss of optimism, loss of culture and values is extreme stress over time. Germans can form new twisted ideas from MK and that ideology, whatever it is, can easily spread across Europe given the current conditions. Now is it the books fault if this happens? No. The blame lies on the shoulders of European leadership or lack there of over the last 20 years. That is what I'm saying.
There is a time for good men to do bad things.

For fuck sake, 1984 is NOT an instruction manual!

:character-bowser: __________ :character-mario: :character-luigi:

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:54 am

Who's read Mein Kampf? (I read some of it in college to see what all the fuss was about? Nothing.)
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:08 am

Martin Hash wrote:Who's read Mein Kampf? (I read some of it in college to see what all the fuss was about? Nothing.)
I've read a few chapters out of it. Mostly just Hitler ranting about his plans for the future. I have a feeling that the majority of people just read it to be edgy.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:09 am

Xenophon wrote:I have a feeling that the majority of people just read it to be edgy.

... at age 15.

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:12 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Xenophon wrote:I have a feeling that the majority of people just read it to be edgy.

... at age 15.
I'm not saying it's not of some historical import, but it is good as a tool for understanding someone's actions, and not much else. It's not exactly a well-thought out treatise on government. The Doctrine of Fascism by Mussolini fits that bill.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:17 am

Xenophon wrote:It's not exactly a well-thought out treatise on government. The Doctrine of Fascism by Mussolini fits that bill.
I've never read that, I'd like to hear a podcast about it... Know any?
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change