BLM Blamed for Spike in Deaths of Chicago's Blacks

Okeefenokee

Re: BLM Blamed for Spike in Deaths of Chicago's Blacks

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:14 am

Penner wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
Penner wrote:Case in point, if you are on a no-fly list, then you can't buy a gun, etc....
Unconstitutional. No due process. Stop being totalitarian.
So, we can banned people from flying but not ban them from buying a gun?
Flying is not a fundamental right.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:15 am

Also, I don't care for the no fly list.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

Penner

Post by Penner » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:16 am

Okeefenokee wrote:
Penner wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
So we can ban people from traveling but not buying a gun? If the fundamental right is to protect oneself and one's family then we can probably ban certain things over other things, am I right?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:18 am

Banning people from flying is not synonymous with prohibiting their freedom of travel. Not that I am a fan of the system we have, anyway.

To limit a person's constitutional rights, you are supposed to provide due process. That's what the Constitution says, and democrats have been shitting all over it for more than a century now.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:00 pm

Penner wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
Penner wrote:
So we can ban people from traveling but not buying a gun? If the fundamental right is to protect oneself and one's family then we can probably ban certain things over other things, am I right?
It doesn't say the right to defend yourself. It says the right to keep and bear arms. Very specific. Trying to muddy the waters with vagueness won't work.

Penner

Post by Penner » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:03 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
Penner wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
It doesn't say the right to defend yourself. It says the right to keep and bear arms. Very specific. Trying to muddy the waters with vagueness won't work.

Hey, I am just repeating what I read here.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:22 pm

The term "mental illness" is just a cop out excuse to help humanize these monsters when the problem is that some people are just bad. Its always been this way.

The more we feel sorry for the evil people in the world the harder it is to swiftly kill them like they deserve once convicted
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:24 pm

Penner wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
Penner wrote:

Hey, I am just repeating what I read here.

I may have some responsibility here in clouding up the right to self-defense with the right to go armed. The common law has always done a decent job in making calls on what is legitimate self-defense. In America, the constitutionally enshrined right, specifically, is to go armed.

De O, you're about as old as me. Brohash, I think you are older than me (but 30 years younger in travel habits. :goteam:) My Torts I casebook included Katko v. Briney, and I bet y'alls did too. I don't know about you, apeman, and the youngsters. The newer books might have evolved to a more enlightened viewpoint.

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:22 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
Penner wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
Even the ACLU was not supporting the use of the various watchlists to ban gun ownership. Admittedly, they don't support the use of those watchlists at all.

It's one of things that often unites civil libertarians, conservative ideologues, and liberal civil rights activists. That is protection of people, especially their rights under the rule of law. The Federal government will not say who put someone on one, the criteria for being on one, any evidence, or an effective way to challenge the action. The government will not even tell people when they have been place on a list, or even, on those rare occasions, been taken off.

A Senator, babies, people in wheelchairs, reporters, activists, academics, vets, family members of suspected militants, business executives, tourists, and so forth. Often people have no idea at all why. It has been happening since 9/11, and it's to protect us from those nasty, nasty terrorists. :roll:
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:24 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
PartyOf5 wrote:
jbird4049 wrote:
More than a hundred unarmed people are killed a year. So, nice eye roll.
Unarmed <> no reason
There is, literally, no conceivable reason why an unarmed person should be shot to death. Billy club, taser, or just pile up and beat 'em down, but no need for a firearm there.
There is. The officers need to get home to their families is more important than other peoples need to get home to their family.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.