Disability Fraud Fallout in Appalachia

de officiis

Disability Fraud Fallout in Appalachia

Post by de officiis » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:27 pm

Interesting article about what happens when a concerned politician starts an investigation of disability fraud and discovers a crooked lawyer, a crooked judge, and crooked docs. The result--the cash is cut off, producing suicides and mass desperation.

Attorney made millions off disability claims; former clients on the brink after government yanks funds

Martin Hash

Re: Disability Fraud Fallout in Appalachia

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:40 pm

Disability fraud is an example of Basic Income/National Dividend working its way into society.

"A nation can only last until its production is overcome by its consumption." - me
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:44 pm

I've been thinking a lot about Basic Income since I've been traveling through Communist nations, plus it's getting a lot of wind in the U.S. I'm still totally against creating a new Right of receipt that somebody else is responsible to pay, that's about as anti-liberty as it gets, but the thought experiment is still worth considering.

What if there was a Star Trek replicator that was publicly owned & free to operate? How would that work out?

KerningChameleon

Post by KerningChameleon » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:34 am

Martin Hash wrote:What if there was a Star Trek replicator that was publicly owned & free to operate? How would that work out?
There would be immediate calls to destroy and ban it. That's the sort of things that destroys people's livelihoods, and even if it's a net gain in the long-term, luddism always has its say first.

If the oil-powered automobile was being invented now, forums such as these would be filled with arguments about how economically unfeasible and ridiculously unreliable and unsafe the prototypes being showcased are compared to the perfectly good, sensibly-speeded horse-and-buggys we have now, thank you very much, and exactly what is your plan for dealing with all the whip craftsmen you're proposing putting completely out of business, hmmm?
"Old World Blues.' It refers to those so obsessed with the past they can't see the present, much less the future, for what it is. They stare into the what-was...as the realities of their world continue on around them." -Fallout New Vegas

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:52 am

Jesus, is it me, or is a lawyer called Eric Conn as perfect a Dickensian name as you could want for this story?
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:45 am

KerningChameleon wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:What if there was a Star Trek replicator that was publicly owned & free to operate? How would that work out?
There would be immediate calls to destroy and ban it. That's the sort of things that destroys people's livelihoods, and even if it's a net gain in the long-term, luddism always has its say first.
Agree, but the Ludds usually get beat. (Watch this space for the battle against self-driving cars.) What would people do with their free time? Complain that they don't have more of it, or actually DO something?

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:32 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:Jesus, is it me, or is a lawyer called Eric Conn as perfect a Dickensian name as you could want for this story?
:lol: This thought occurred to me as well.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:22 pm

de officiis wrote:
Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:Jesus, is it me, or is a lawyer called Eric Conn as perfect a Dickensian name as you could want for this story?
:lol: This thought occurred to me as well.
Reminds me of the guy in charge of the govt legal team in the current Brexit high court case...Lord Panik
and my all time favourite, former Archbishop of Manilla.... Cardinal Sin :lol:
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:50 pm

Martin Hash wrote:I've been thinking a lot about Basic Income since I've been traveling through Communist nations, plus it's getting a lot of wind in the U.S. I'm still totally against creating a new Right of receipt that somebody else is responsible to pay, that's about as anti-liberty as it gets, but the thought experiment is still worth considering.

What if there was a Star Trek replicator that was publicly owned & free to operate? How would that work out?
I listen to a podcast by Marxian economist named Richard Wolff who is against a universal guaranteed basic income, but does support guaranteed work with an adequate income. I think his reasoning is that getting something for nothing is bad for people, but there is plenty of work still out there. Pay enough to actually live, create social cohesion, and get things like those roads fixed, or more houses, or better care for the elderly.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:55 pm

That's the road I'm going down, for the same reasons, and I'm certainly no Marxist.