Is it time for her Majesty to step down?

Montegriffo

Is it time for her Majesty to step down?

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:07 am

Queen Elizabeth II is now 90 years old and has been Monarch since 1952. Her health is now in question and she has drastically reduced her responsibilities and engagements in her official capacity as Queen. Is it time for her to step down and hand over the reins to her eldest son Charles or should she carry on until she dies? The Queen herself has said she will never abdicate, partly because she sees her role as a duty which she cannot escape and partly because of the constitutional crisis which followed Edward VIII's abdication in 1936.
Nobody can say she hasn't performed her duty to the highest standard but even Popes can retire.
I don't want to see her forced to step down but maybe it is time for those close to her to try to persuade her that it is time to let the next generation play their part.
Last edited by Montegriffo on Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

ssu

Re: Is it time for her Majesty to step down

Post by ssu » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:42 am

Of course she's not my sovereign, but I assume that nobody is forcing her to do anything of the kind.

Is this a Smitty-baiting thread?

Just asking...

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:53 am

I stated quite clearly that she should not be forced to stand down. I just feel that at the age of 90 she is entitled to a retirement free from duty and responsibility. There have been a number of fake reports stating she intends to retire and pass the throne to William. The big fear is that republicans will call for a referendum on the future of the monarchy when she dies.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:54 am

She can choose who inherits the throne?

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:07 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:She can choose who inherits the throne?
No, the throne is passed to the eldest son, all she could do is make a recommendation. Charles could refuse the crown and pass it on to his eldest son but there is no indication that he has plans to do so. Ultimately it is up to parliament who would be crowned as the next monarch.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:17 am

Montegriffo wrote:Ultimately it is up to parliament who would be crowned as the next monarch.
No kidding...

That's a cool nugget I wasn't aware of.

Do you seriously think they would pass over Charles? That seems unlikely to me.
Not that I really know anything about the old codger.

The Princess Di fiasco is as far as my knowledge on the matter extends.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:30 am

No I don't think Charles would be passed over but he would have to refrain from meddling in politics in future. He has been criticised in the past for making statements on the environment and other issues including architecture.

ssu

Post by ssu » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:38 am

Montegriffo wrote: There have been a number of fake reports stating she intends to retire and pass the throne to William. The big fear is that republicans will call for a referendum on the future of the monarchy when she dies.
William? Lol!

Yeah, sure, some tabloids would want that. Obvious fake news as you said. I yet think that the heir apparent is Prince of Whales is Charles still, not William.

Well that referendum won't go anywhere.

Penner

Post by Penner » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:39 am

Montegriffo wrote:No I don't think Charles would be passed over but he would have to refrain from meddling in politics in future. He has been criticised in the past for making statements on the environment and other issues including architecture.
Yeah, but isn't there a law that forbids divorcees to wear the crown? So, are they just going to ignore that and give it over to Charles?

Also, he was criticized for architecture? WFT? He didn't like a look of a building and people were piss at him for saying that? Or does the word, "architecture" means something else?

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:46 am

Penner wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:No I don't think Charles would be passed over but he would have to refrain from meddling in politics in future. He has been criticised in the past for making statements on the environment and other issues including architecture.
Yeah, but isn't there a law that forbids divorcees to wear the crown? So, are they just going to ignore that and give it over to Charles?

Also, he was criticized for architecture? WFT? He didn't like a look of a building and people were piss at him for saying that? Or does the word, "architecture" means something else?
He interfered on a number of occasions leading to some plans being scrapped,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... ncles.html