Germany Wants Facebook To Pay For Fake News

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:45 am

Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg has shied away from aggressively regulating the spate of fake news on his network, putting more emphasis on getting users to flag it instead. Now the German government has its own idea for reining in Facebook’s fake news problem, by making it pay 500,000 euros ($522,000) per fake news post.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyolson/ ... 8286a71e60

A very dangerous abandonment of freedom to government control IMO. But apparently the German people like being told what to think.
:evil:

The Conservative

Re: Germany Wants Facebook To Pay For Fake News

Post by The Conservative » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:55 am

de officiis wrote:Germany Wants Facebook To Pay For Fake News
Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg has shied away from aggressively regulating the spate of fake news on his network, putting more emphasis on getting users to flag it instead. Now the German government has its own idea for reining in Facebook’s fake news problem, by making it pay 500,000 euros ($522,000) per fake news post.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyolson/ ... 8286a71e60

A very dangerous abandonment of freedom to government control IMO. But apparently the German people like being told what to think.
:evil:
You seriously think that the German people truly had free speech like the US?

As for demanding a company to take responsibility for their actions or inactions is not unheard of... courts rule down fees and fines all the time, this is just another form of it via government oversight, or overreach depending on your view of what government should be able to do.
#NotOneRedCent

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:14 am

I'm reminded of the German comedian who got caught up in a criminal case for joking about Erdogan of Turkey, because of an old, unused and for decades ignored law that the Turkish government demanded he be charged. At that time, most German media shook their heads...

Do "news" sites exist that entirely fabricate, lie about or heaviliy manipulate the truth for whatever agenda? Yup. Even to a quite organized extent. That however is as weak a justification for prosecuting bloggers, even Russian-paid ones, as that German comedian's case. Fake news, as in real fake news, as in fabricated news, only needs an authoritative media presence or institution(s) to dismiss it as a hoax. If there are no authoritative voices, though.... If no one wants to listen, that's not the fault of bloggers, Russia or Germany's version of deplorables. It is the fault of those media figures who are unable to communicate, unable to disseminate, unable to resonate with their listeners, readers and watchers. Same with the politicians. Easier to blame the plebs for not understanding you, but that is simply a weak displacement or outright ignoring of one's personal responsibility for being a poor communicator.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:14 pm

One of the more prominent fake news generators on FB was interviewed a couple months ago. He makes a ton of money off clicks. Iirc he said he made like 100k this year. I'll try to dig it up, I didn't read it but it was covered on a podcast.

That said, fuck Germany.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:15 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:One of the more prominent fake news generators on FB was interviewed a couple months ago. He makes a ton of money off clicks. Iirc he said he made like 100k this year. I'll try to dig it up, I didn't read it but it was covered on a podcast.
People are being paid by the click...
Advertisers are paying I presume?

That's a lot of money going to people for cooking up scintillating pseudo-controversies.

Old wine in new bottles... the tabloid news phenomenon reinvented.

Hard to charge these entities with libel I assume... tabloid papers were easier to hold accountable than these fly by night operations.

But if they are pulling in 100k you would think someone could sue them if they get overzealous... couldn't they?
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

LVH2

Post by LVH2 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:33 pm

I think I had a million, or 100k anyway, idea. But I won't follow through.

Something like, fake clickbait. Fluff pieces that are written for no purpose other than to provoke. For example, you make a listicle of the most influential rappers of all time and make it like 65% white and reap the outrage clicks. These pieces would have no hint of irony or any sign of intentional trolling. Rather, you'd try your best to express something that somebody, somewhere might actually believe.

I know some SJW/WND stuff is already close to this, but I don't know of anyone doing exactly what I have in mind.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:53 pm

The big mistake these clickbait scumbags make is targeting the wrong group. If you want to drive up click-throughs, don't do it with articles like "Ten reasons white people suck", or whatever. Wrong target. Go with "Ten reasons why white people are superior", or "Ten reasons why women don't contribute to society". That shit will get clicked the fuck up. Guaranteed.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:39 pm

LVH2 wrote:I think I had a million, or 100k anyway, idea. But I won't follow through.

Something like, fake clickbait. Fluff pieces that are written for no purpose other than to provoke. For example, you make a listicle of the most influential rappers of all time and make it like 65% white and reap the outrage clicks. These pieces would have no hint of irony or any sign of intentional trolling. Rather, you'd try your best to express something that somebody, somewhere might actually believe.

I know some SJW/WND stuff is already close to this, but I don't know of anyone doing exactly what I have in mind.
That's what I kind of think this is

Yes, Diversity Is About Getting Rid Of White People (And That’s A Good Thing
https://www.google.com/amp/thoughtcatal ... eople/amp/

No ad revenue from doing that as far as I can't tell but perhaps if you ran a pro white website you could prop it up as a scarecrow.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:10 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
LVH2 wrote:I think I had a million, or 100k anyway, idea. But I won't follow through.

That's what I kind of think this is

Yes, Diversity Is About Getting Rid Of White People (And That’s A Good Thing
https://www.google.com/amp/thoughtcatal ... eople/amp/

No ad revenue from doing that as far as I can't tell but perhaps if you ran a pro white website you could prop it up as a scarecrow.
I clicked on the link and got a page saying the article had been reported for being offensive.
I followed through and got to the article which was really dumb. Just goes to show the dark side of the net where any ignorant bigot can have his/her say.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:43 pm

Montegriffo wrote:Just goes to show the dark side of the net where any ignorant bigot can have his/her say.
And yet it serves as the ultimate free speech zone.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty