Most Educated Electorate in US History Elected Trump

kybkh

Most Educated Electorate in US History Elected Trump

Post by kybkh » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:05 pm

I thought of this post last night driving past the shuttered coal power plant that once employed my brother-in-law. The soft yellow glow of non-led lights which keep the plant lit for security purposes can fool you in to thinking its still operational until you notice the empty 20 acre lot which was once covered in mountains of fresh coal to burn for the winter.

It's real life Mad Max. Scrapped dump trucks and semis litter the yards along the highway. There is even a smaller plant that was converted to natural gas nearby that fires it's exhaust to add a special sense of destruction when the cloud ceiling is low. Sometimes you'll see the barges cruising up the Big Sandy to the Ohio sending what little coal is still being mined to the newer plant in WV. Highway 23 is a sight to see. I'd imagine driving down that road would be the equivalent of Deliverance to most liberals, especially once you reach the Ashland oil refinery sitting at the I-64 intersection.

That's all aside the point however. The scene is familiar to me so I am done reflecting on the Armageddon like appearance of it all and ponder different questions. Like what a structure of that size which once carried such great import for our nation but now lies dormant means?

For the most part, it means we are all smarter. We have found new, less harmful ways to provide energy to our nation than these aged behemoths which dot the Appalachia countryside. I'd imagine not 50 years ago people in these parts in particular were very poorly educated. In the 1950's when scenes like the one below were common place in these parts the high school graduation rate for the state of KY was below 30% (note: in the Appalachian region it was considerably lower). https://www.census.gov/population/www/c ... cation.pdf

We are over double that now yet these very towns where once upon a time "Friday night traffic would be backed up two miles as coal miners and their families came to town for entertainment. In fact, traffic was so bad that Welch built the first municipal parking garage ever in the United States. A famous 1947 photo shows the main drag, McDowell Street, clotted with cars and crowds of stylishly dressed people eager to visit one of downtown's three famous movie palaces." http://reason.com/archives/2016/12/10/stuck are mostly deserted and impoverished.

Seems education hasn't done these folks much good.

This is a unique sample of America though. The Appalachians break all the SJW rules of poverty and its disparate affect on individuals by race showing that extreme poverty has little difference between whites and blacks except for violent crime rates. I imagine that's because in bigger cities violent crime probably pays better.

In all, America is the smartest its ever been. Over the past 100 years, Americans' mean IQ has been on a slow but steady climb. Between 1900 and 2012, it rose nearly 30 points, which means that the average person of 2012 had a higher IQ than 95 percent of the population had in 1900. http://www.apa.org/monitor/2013/03/smarter.aspx yet narrative after narrative produced by "sources of record" state education has replaced the culture wars as the defining electoral divide http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/02/upsho ... .html?_r=0

Confusing ain't it? The average American has a higher IQ than ever before yet Trump supporters were considered wholly uneducated and backwards. The "White Working Class", no matter avg income of Trump supporters being significantly higher than Clinton backers.

The median household income of a Trump voter so far in the primaries is about $72,000, based on estimates derived from exit polls and Census Bureau data. That’s lower than the $91,000 median for Kasich voters. But it’s well above the national median household income of about $56,000. It’s also higher than the median income for Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders supporters, which is around $61,000 for both.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the ... s-support/

The voters Clinton really lost—the ones she was targeting and relying on for victory—were college-educated whites. Most polling suggested she would win these voters, but she didn’t, according to exit polls: White men went 63 percent for Trump versus 31 percent for Clinton, and white women went 53-43 percent. Among college-educated whites, only 39 percent of men and 51 percent of women voted for Clinton.

https://newrepublic.com/article/138754/ ... king-class

What does this mean? Why did more productive members of society vote for Trump? (I measure production as GDP) Because they are stupid? Stupid compared to when? According to the "Flynn Effect" (IQ) Test score increases have been continuous and approximately linear from the earliest years of testing to the present. FE gains vary from country to country and over different time intervals, but the
gains are usually a fraction of a point per year
http://www.triplenine.org/portals/0/Pub ... eprint.pdf

Should we eliminate the Electoral College so that the less educated and lower producing members of society have more influence in national politics?
“I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life, nonprofits, businesses, the private sector, universities to try to bring more and more Americans together around what I think is a unifying theme..." - Obama

kybkh

Re: Most Educated Electorate in US History Elected Trump

Post by kybkh » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:55 pm

Nothing huh?

I provide sources showing that the American electorate as a whole is a smart as it has ever been and the result was Trump and I get nothing??

Nobody is going to white knight the MSM narrative of poor stupid whites are Trumps base?
“I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life, nonprofits, businesses, the private sector, universities to try to bring more and more Americans together around what I think is a unifying theme..." - Obama

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:10 pm

It was a good post but I never saw an argument. I would have +1'd it though. Could probably nitpick a few points but I'm not particularly versed in how IQ works. Somehow the IQ increase doesn't jibe with third world importation rates. The mean IQ's of countries are out there and Asian countries rank the highest followed by Europeans. I'm frankly baffled how we can import some of the lowest scoring nationalities and still achieve an upward curve despite the fact that the current numbers suggest the opposite of that happening.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:17 pm

I think the OP was original & on point. I'll quote it to "Ask a Liberalist."
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:26 pm

Too bad you weren't quoting on the DCF.
Nukedog wrote:Hear me out. Turtle doors
That popped into my head when I was watching Sicario, and I had to pause it to laugh for a while.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:31 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:Too bad you weren't quoting on the DCF.
It was the magnitude of the creative loss that prompted me to quote. Who would of thought Dan would have just flushed it all?!

p.s. Losing Smitty's posts circa 2014 was a spiritual tragedy.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:33 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
It was the magnitude of the creative loss that prompted me to quote. Who would of thought Dan would have just flushed it all?!

Was terrible. I wish I could compile all his posts in one place but I almost feel like I would be breaking some minor protocols if I were to somehow do that.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:41 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:I wish I could compile all his posts in one place but I almost feel like I would be breaking some minor protocols if I were to somehow do that.
Dude, if you've got the time, it would make a great book.

p.s. I publish my quotes as Kindle books on Amazon under the title "Notebooks of an Old Cyber-Cowboy."

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:43 pm

Yeah well too bad they are gone now. Well at least some of them are.

Lol poor Kentucky made an excellent OP and all we can do is talk about smitty posts. Fuck. Well don't feel bad dude. I'm going to make at least one or two effort posts shortly that will take some work to do. Maybe just the one. Nah fuck it both. Everyone already thinks I'm a Nazi. But I don't want to scare casuals off hmmm

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:15 pm

Martin Hash wrote:

I saved the Poking The Bear and Re-Heating The Cold War threads, therefore a half decent chunk of those Smitty 2014 posts live on.
You're welcome.
*yip*