Illiberalism on the Left

doc_loliday

Re: Illiberalism on the Left

Post by doc_loliday » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:33 am

BjornP wrote:
No doubt that your leftists are more extreme in their victim/offender mentality, that they live in more of a bubble, but there's a reason that they are or became - how best to frame it? - socially allowed by wider society to suddenly enter and influence college life to the extent they get tenure teaching pseudo-scientific activism. The latter link you posted simply offers a generational difference, but not an explanation for why a prestigious private college or university would allow and accept the teaching of Social Justice ideology into their institutions.

I would guess it is allowed because most people remain unaffected. Not all campuses have this problem, or have it to the degree that makes the news. That isn't to say that it isn't pernicious, nor insidous, it's just that unless you follow this kind of thing, you could likely go your whole life without directly being affected by all of this. I often think of my in laws as representative of a large portion of Americans. They don't even know what a SJW is. You'd need to have a long conversation with them to break down the problem, (which there is), but the point is, there are college graduates in this country completely unaware that all of this is occuring simply because they don't care and are bothered by any of this.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:40 am

That avatar dude xD

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:43 am

TheReal_ND wrote:That avatar dude xD

8-)

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:54 am

doc_loliday wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:That avatar dude xD

8-)
Happy New Year loliday, good to see you again.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:39 pm

howdy howdy.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:34 pm

Good to see you too Fife. Just saw the Niners play. Not the worst way to spend a Sunday afternoon; sippin' on some cold ones on a brisk day in San Francisco. You shoulda been there.

Howdy Okee, how's the calculus comin'?

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:41 am

doc_loliday wrote:Good to see you too Fife. Just saw the Niners play. Not the worst way to spend a Sunday afternoon; sippin' on some cold ones on a brisk day in San Francisco. You shoulda been there.

President's list four semesters in a row. 4.0 GPA. Got accepted into a research program with a 5k a semester scholarship. Looking at summer internships. Lockheed Martin in Dallas or Blue Origin in Washington State are high on the list.

Next semester:
  • Electromechanical engineering
    Statics
    Engineering economics
    History of the world until 1500
Thanks for asking. Been itching for a chance to gloat. Cal II was a motherfucker. The hardest shit I've ever done. Got into many a fight with the old lady over leaving me alone so I could study, and, the day of the final, that bitch (the exam) fucked me up like that bear did Leo. I came out of that thing like a shell shocked GI getting rotated off the front. Seriously, I left that final feeling like my professor had just laid the worst ambush I'd ever stumbled into.

Ended up scoring an 89. Not what I wanted, but much much better than what I thought I was going to get. This spring will be my first semester without any serious math. It'll be physics heavy, though. I need to get back on task with these scholarships. I die a little each time I submit another essay saying, "I'm so fucking great you should give me money," but they're giving away money, and I can always use more money.

Anyway, welcome to the new world. There's gold in these here hills.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:35 am

4.0 for an engineer is extremely tough, you should be proud. Anyway, yeah, calculus is only hard until you take physics, EM specifically, then you're be like, "that shit was easy". Besides, I probably don't need to tell you that you'll miss math. And if you haven't heard it enough already, calc 3 isn't that hard, it's like a calc 1 difficulty level, except now your math skills are super sharp. Only at the very end of the semester when you have to stokes and greene's theorem does it become challenging in my opinion. Anyway, I didn't realize that MEs had to take statics. I guess that makes sense, have fun.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:58 pm

doc_loliday wrote:Good to see you too Fife. Just saw the Niners play. Not the worst way to spend a Sunday afternoon; sippin' on some cold ones on a brisk day in San Francisco. You shoulda been there.

Brisk is right.

I was up there all last week and goddamn SoCal has made me weak.

And the South Bay was 5-10° warmer than the North Bay where I was
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:21 pm

I've been doing yard work in a t-shirt and bare feet. I don't think we're gonna get a winter this year. Just fall from november to march.