Singing Beach Boys at College is Sexual Misconduct

K@th

Re: Singing Beach Boys at College is Sexual Misconduct

Post by K@th » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:36 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:you can change your name?
I'll do it if you really want to, but I'm not going to be changing someone's name every month because reasons.
Account abandoned.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:41 am

The failures and costs of higher education aside:
These faculty members complained — and had deep concerns — about his conduct,” Blanton said. “Two universities that partner with UK — Shanghai and Jilin — also have complained about professor Ryan. Our Title IX office investigated the complaints at length, interviewed professor Ryan as part of the investigation, and the faculty who accompanied him. The faculty were unanimous in their complaints and their concerns, in which a preponderance of evidence concluded that he engaged in ‘inappropriate touching’ and ‘language of a sexual nature.’”
It would seem there is slightly more than a complaint about Weird Al-ing 'California Girls' for the Chinese.

And for someone complaining about not getting a due process, there seems to be some hemming and hawing about that as well.
“Now they want to bait me into court, putting taxpayers against my children’s college funds. There has to be some better resolution than that.”
Well, thanks Professor for your noble attempt to save the taxpayers money, but that seems to be the venue for confronting your accusers. I am not sure what other 'due process' Ryan was hoping for.

(http://www.kentucky.com/news/local/educ ... 71548.html)
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:48 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

LVH2

Post by LVH2 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:11 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:What if..

Given that most universities put lectures online for free now, why not create some kind of organization that performs testing on courses that can get accreditation.

You don't have to deliver the classes. You need only test competence.

Agree here. A big part of the solution to a lot of problems, I think, is going to be taking colleges apart. I don't think the SJW problem alone warrants that, as I've pointed out before, I think they are still a vocal minority contained to certain quarters. I don't think you'll find many SJW econ profs, and very few in philosophy or science.

But profs, and Universities seem to have been eager participants in turning their students into indentured servants, so to hell with them.

Even in my day, many professors did almost no teaching. You pay $40k a year to be taught by another student who is 2 years older than you and who makes $8k a year, or by an adjuct who bounces around from school to school.

I had some really wonderful profs I will never forget, but I think I was getting what I paid for maybe half the time. And, I'd wager it is far worse now.

Even in grad school, I had a guy who taught one class in two years, refused independent study. That class was symbolic logic, which was like ABCs to him. He showed us some over heads. We took three or so tests with no writing--you either solved the problem correctly or not. Surely his tests and overheads were all recycled every class. So in the two years I was there, the guy literally spent maybe 100-200 hours engaged in anything related to teaching. Maybe less. For a six figure salary.

You can watch a whole class by a prof who is probably superior to yours online, now. You have wikipedia, forums, endless resources. It's also easy to find out about stuff, which used to be one of the main functions of college. Used to be, you needed someone to lead you to the books, so you had some idea of where to begin. Now you don't.

Sad, because I had an awesome college experience, outside of school. And, as I said, many great profs and classes. But it's pretty hard to justify the shoddy status quo at the price of a house.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:23 pm

It depends upon the university. Usually at public universities, the only time you will get a lot of personal time with professors is when they teach a class related to their field of research and they want to recruit graduate students.

At private universities, the dynamic can change dramatically. Those universities often require professors to spend quite a lot of time with students. Teaching assistants will help grade papers and tutor, but not necessarily teach classes, which in a way is not so great for them in the future without some teaching experience.

Most of my graduate-level courses had class sizes between about six and twenty people (tops). Some of the professors I encountered were just amazing educators besides researchers. But that was at a private university.

In my opinion, private universities tend to be better precisely because of this kind of dynamic. Public universities are like education factories used to fund faculty research. Once you get a job as research assistance, public universities are going to be nice because you get a lot of funding to do cool stuff, but the classroom education component will not likely exceed what you can receive at a private university. On the other hand, at a private university, research assistantships can be very sparse and not well-funded like they are in public universities. It's a trade-off you have to make.

But, in general, public universities are sliding towards the common denominator pretty fast, so private schools might in the future be quite elite compared to public schools. The only thing hurting private schools now is the SJW culture of students and the marxism of the faculties that managed to take over many of them. But that too will pass and I think private schools will go back to being a bit better.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:43 pm

I think geography makes a big difference. In a place like El Paso, a working class city, you don't run into it at all. One of the liberal arts writing lab women made a statement, to which I instinctively joked, "that's racist." She doubled down on whatever she had said, and I had to clarify that I was making a joke on the PC culture, to which she responded with something like, I don't give a shit. No one has time for that crap.

I spent an entire semester starting every day with conversing and debating my sociology professor on the tenants of his field throughout the class, and all it ever prompted was more discussion, both between us and the rest of the class. Even on racial or religious issues, no one had any problems getting into them.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:20 pm

I needed to stop doxxing myself
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:35 pm

TotallyNotNukeDog wrote:
I needed to stop doxxing myself
Yes you do.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0