Castle in Jordan under siege

Martin Hash

Re: Castle in Jordan under siege

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:23 pm

Petra is in Jordan. In fact, now that I think about it, I'm going to use my favorite Petra picture as the logo for this forum...

p.s. Been to Karak castle.
p.p.s. I've been to Syria too, including the Citadel in Aleppo, and wearing Christmas hats in Palmyra.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:52 pm

Lol

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:05 am

Martin Hash wrote:Petra is in Jordan. In fact, now that I think about it, I'm going to use my favorite Petra picture as the logo for this forum...

p.s. Been to Karak castle.
p.p.s. I've been to Syria too, including the Citadel in Aleppo, and wearing Christmas hats in Palmyra.
What was your mode of travel in Syria? You travelled on your own timetable, like just book flight and hotel, maybe a local guide, or did you go on one of those cruise ships, with strict timetables, where you get like three or four hours ashore with their own guides before setting off to next port? We get these big cruise ships in my city couple times a year. Passengers bussed around to the same places, take photos in the same places and barely seem to have any time to sit down and relax.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:21 am

I was in the Middle East for 3 months via public transport & private vehicle.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

ssu

Post by ssu » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:21 am

Martin Hash wrote:I was in the Middle East for 3 months via public transport & private vehicle.
I allways tell my wife that we should travel to country while it's still possible. In the long run many places have just gotten worse and few truly improved. Now rather safe countries can especially in the Middle East or Africa become unsafe like Libya or Somalia.

Far too many countries getting worse in safety terms.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:33 am

ssu wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:I was in the Middle East for 3 months via public transport & private vehicle.
I allways tell my wife that we should travel to country while it's still possible. In the long run many places have just gotten worse and few truly improved. Now rather safe countries can especially in the Middle East or Africa become unsafe like Libya or Somalia.

Far too many countries getting worse in safety terms.
Yes, I've wanted to go to Libya for a long time. All those Roman ruins and WWII tanks still in the desert etc.
I was hopeful when Gadaffi started to open up to western tourists before the Arab spring but it is no place for tourists now. I'm just glad I went to Egypt when it was a safe and welcoming place for a backpacker to visit.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

ssu

Post by ssu » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:39 am

Montegriffo wrote:Yes, I've wanted to go to Libya for a long time. All those Roman ruins and WWII tanks still in the desert etc.
I was hopeful when Gadaffi started to open up to western tourists before the Arab spring but it is no place for tourists now. I'm just glad I went to Egypt when it was a safe and welcoming place for a backpacker to visit.
After the military coup Egypt can be rather safe place. Just as is Mexico.

Of course you can have very bad luck and be in the wrong Place at the wrong time. Just like the guy who has now witnessed what, three terrorist attacks in the US and Europe. (See THIRD brush with terror: American Mormon, 19, left with burns and shrapnel injuries in Brussels attack also survived Boston and Paris bombings)

Now that has to be bad luck... yet is the statistical oddity that do happen.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:52 am

Current foreign office advice,
There is a high threat from terrorism in Egypt. Terrorists continue to plan and conduct attacks. Further attacks are likely. Most terrorist attacks target the security forces, but it’s likely that foreigners, including tourists, will also be targeted.

Attacks could be indiscriminate and may occur without prior warning. There have been threats to western nationals, institutions, and businesses posted on websites and social media. There is a threat of kidnapping, particularly in remote desert areas.

On 9 December 2016 there was an explosion on Pyramid Road in Giza, killing at least 6 police officers. You should remain vigilant at all times and follow the advice of local security officials.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Penner

Post by Penner » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:31 am

Montegriffo wrote:Current foreign office advice,
There is a high threat from terrorism in Egypt. Terrorists continue to plan and conduct attacks. Further attacks are likely. Most terrorist attacks target the security forces, but it’s likely that foreigners, including tourists, will also be targeted.

Attacks could be indiscriminate and may occur without prior warning. There have been threats to western nationals, institutions, and businesses posted on websites and social media. There is a threat of kidnapping, particularly in remote desert areas.

On 9 December 2016 there was an explosion on Pyramid Road in Giza, killing at least 6 police officers. You should remain vigilant at all times and follow the advice of local security officials.
What about visiting Israel?

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:38 am

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/israel
The security situation in Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories is fast moving, tense and unpredictable. You should be vigilant at all times and keep up to date with local media and travel reports.

In Israel and the West Bank, including Tel Aviv, East Jerusalem and the Old City (particularly the Damascus Gate area) and Hebron, there have been numerous violent clashes between protestors and security forces and stabbing, shooting, arson, vehicle ramming and stone throwing attacks on people and vehicles. These types of incidents also happen along Route 60 within the West Bank (the main road connecting Jerusalem with Nablus and Hebron) and along Route 443 between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. There’s a risk that tourists or bystanders could be caught up in any incident.
Rockets have been fired from Gaza towards Israel on a number of occasions in 2016. Further rocket fire is possible and you should familiarise yourself with the safety actions that you should take in the event of a warning siren.

The security situation on the border with Egypt remains volatile. Take extra care and be vigilant when using Route 10 which runs along the Israeli border with Egypt and is subject to closures by the Israeli authorities. You may wish to consider using other routes.

In northern Israel there have been an increased number of incidents of accidental or deliberate artillery, rocket or mortar fire from Syria into the Israeli-controlled Golan Heights. Take care when travelling in areas of the Upper Galilee and the Golan Heights.