The Journalo Thread

Okeefenokee

Re: The Journalo Thread

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:23 am

AndrewBennett wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
AndrewBennett wrote:That's how its supposed to work, we're living in bubbles here that come from overvaluation and people treating real estate as a stock market
People need to realize that the artificial value of inflated property in places like Cali and NYC cuts both ways. You can take part in it, and if you're fortunate, make money, but you have to realize it's a gamble and a charade. Get out to someplace more reasonable if you want your investment to be in something real. That's what the real in real estate means.
I don't care about investments, I care about living in my own home.

Part of it is my own fault for choosing a career that has to be in a large media market, but that doesn't mean I have to like the speculation bubbles. Especially since we saw what they can do when they pop just ten years ago.
I would think that people in the media market would be coming around to the idea that their location isn't fundamentally restricted to any one area. If you job is computer based, we have the internet. You don't have to live in a city anymore.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:26 am

I do. I work on the hardware that enables the studios to exist. If they automated and offsited everything and got rid of every single person except for the talking heads I'd still have to be there to keep the gear running.

And we all know how shitty stuff looks when its shot at home as opposed to a studio

But yeah, otherwise telecommuting is an option for most everyone else now
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:29 am

AndrewBennett wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
AndrewBennett wrote:That's how its supposed to work, we're living in bubbles here that come from overvaluation and people treating real estate as a stock market
People need to realize that the artificial value of inflated property in places like Cali and NYC cuts both ways. You can take part in it, and if you're fortunate, make money, but you have to realize it's a gamble and a charade. Get out to someplace more reasonable if you want your investment to be in something real. That's what the real in real estate means.
I don't care about investments, I care about living in my own home.

Part of it is my own fault for choosing a career that has to be in a large media market, but that doesn't mean I have to like the speculation bubbles. Especially since we saw what they can do when they pop just ten years ago.
Unfortunately, the bubble was never allowed to pop. Our tax dollars were frantically blown into it, and a cheap piece of tape installed over the breach. This party is just getting started.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:30 am

Mechanics still make a decent living. Not wealthy, but in demand. Computer hardware guys are going to be on par with car mechanics before long. Plug and play means the software guys are making hardware guys less hard to come by.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:32 am

Okeefenokee wrote:Mechanics still make a decent living. Not wealthy, but in demand. Computer hardware guys are going to be on par with car mechanics before long. Plug and play means the software guys are making hardware guys less hard to come by.
I don't imagine that anyone really makes a living on hardware anymore, except on maintaining the networks. Everything else is practically disposable.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

KerningChameleon

Post by KerningChameleon » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:04 am

Okeefenokee wrote:I would think that people in the media market would be coming around to the idea that their location isn't fundamentally restricted to any one area. If you job is computer based, we have the internet. You don't have to live in a city anymore.
Yeah, lemme know when the telcoms start running out fiber to your farm and all your neighbors' farms smack dab in the middle of the great midwestern corn sea, or at the very least stop lobbing as hard as they can to kill muncipal fiber initiatives. Til that day comes, I'm staying right in my comfy little city outskirt suburb, thanks much.
"Old World Blues.' It refers to those so obsessed with the past they can't see the present, much less the future, for what it is. They stare into the what-was...as the realities of their world continue on around them." -Fallout New Vegas

ssu

Post by ssu » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:39 am

Xenophon wrote:I was thinking we needed a place to chronicle media hyperbole and hypocrisy. I'll start with Keith Olbermann, ranting about how the election of Trump is the end of the Republic.
Keith Olberman just copies the kind of rhetoric that some Alex Jones etc. have used very successfully. That of course isn't journalism.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:54 pm

ssu wrote:
Xenophon wrote:I was thinking we needed a place to chronicle media hyperbole and hypocrisy. I'll start with Keith Olbermann, ranting about how the election of Trump is the end of the Republic.
Keith Olberman just copies the kind of rhetoric that some Alex Jones etc. have used very successfully. That of course isn't journalism.
I've always wondered why ssu puts the word some in front of names.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:46 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
ssu wrote:
I've always wondered why ssu puts the word some in front of names.
Because he doesn't feel it necessary to put the word "like" in between it and the name.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:16 pm

de officiis wrote:Always with the negative waves, Moriarty, always with the negative waves.
Dude fuck this guy. He's probably turned the entire thread into an argument because he wants attention and he's almost certainly probably not contributed to the thread. Hang on I'll brb from the Trump thread.