Sometimes I wish there was more police brutality

apeman

Re: Sometimes I wish there was more police brutality

Post by apeman » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:08 am

AndrewBennett wrote:
apeman wrote::lol: fair point, but

I use a bike for transportation, not just exercise or fun.

I would like to get into swimming, although I would probably need a waterproof mp3 player or whatever due to the monotony.
If you swim by sets and use build/negative split strategies on your distance events the monotony is broken

Or not, I've just been doing this my whole life so maybe my mind is already broken to it :lol:
Can you give me some simple practical routine(s)? There is a Y like .25 miles from my house.

pettertb

Post by pettertb » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:15 am

I enjoy riding my bike, and find it to be the cardio that I get myself to do. The others are dead boring to me. Therefore I ride my bike for excercise. In the summer, with no macho-I-will-ride-in-a-sleet-storm bullshit. If I feel like suffering I'll bring my tablet to the gym :P

As to the people in lycra.. There was a beautiful Norwegian comic where two people come in from their commute. The narrator goes "ugh, the people with all the bike gear are almost the most vain people I know.. Apart from the ones that have a shitty time because they are too vain to use it" :twisted:

You do a thing, ear the clothes that are the best at that thing. Sure, some people buy way too specialized stuff than what they really need, but they probably have the cash :P Middle aged men are really good at using money on themselves in stupid ways.

I don't have a lot of specialized bike gear yet. I'll get some lycra shorts next year and throw away the old gym shorts I've been using. Got a bright yellow jacket last year. I have stupidly colorful clip in shoes. The reasonably colored ones was not reasonably priced..

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:25 am

apeman wrote:
AndrewBennett wrote:
apeman wrote::lol: fair point, but

I use a bike for transportation, not just exercise or fun.

I would like to get into swimming, although I would probably need a waterproof mp3 player or whatever due to the monotony.
If you swim by sets and use build/negative split strategies on your distance events the monotony is broken

Or not, I've just been doing this my whole life so maybe my mind is already broken to it :lol:
Can you give me some simple practical routine(s)? There is a Y like .25 miles from my house.
The Y is probably set up as a short course 25 yard pool so divide the number by 25 to get the number of laps. When I say "descend" that means go faster each one. This is a really simple routine and all freestyle for a total of 2800 yards. I don't know how fast you are but this would take me 45 minutes or less

Warm up: 300
Heart rate: 12 x 50, descend 1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 10 seconds rest between each one
Ladder: 100, 200, 300, 400, 300, 200, 100, 20 seconds rest between each one
Sprints: 8 x 25, 5 seconds reset between each one
Cool down: 100
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:30 am

I'm not judging, but ^ is this thread.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:17 am

Seeing as it's page 4 and nobody else has mentioned it I'm going to talk about the environmental benefits of cycling. Reduced congestion and cleaner air in city centres has to be a positive. Big cities in the UK are moving towards banning diesel vehicles in city centres,the LEZ or London Emission Zone has been in force for over a decade. Boris Johnson's greatest legacy as London mayor was the bike rental scheme known as Boris bikes where you don't have to take it back to the place you picked it up but can use any of the drop off points around the city. Not only that, with decent cycle lanes you can save time on your journey as the traffic often moves at walking pace. Not to mention reduced CO2 output as a result of leaving your car at home and no more parking space worries.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:18 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:

I'm not judging, but ^ is this thread.
:D
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

apeman

Post by apeman » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:25 am

AndrewBennett wrote:
apeman wrote:
AndrewBennett wrote: If you swim by sets and use build/negative split strategies on your distance events the monotony is broken

The Y is probably set up as a short course 25 yard pool so divide the number by 25 to get the number of laps. When I say "descend" that means go faster each one. This is a really simple routine and all freestyle for a total of 2800 yards. I don't know how fast you are but this would take me 45 minutes or less

damn that look like a lot, but I wouldn't really know until I try it

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:55 am

apeman wrote:
AndrewBennett wrote:
apeman wrote:

damn that look like a lot, but I wouldn't really know until I try it
Cut the warm up in half and only do the ladder 100-200-300-200-100 and it will be more manageable. That being said, I don't know what kind of swimmer you are so it could be a lot less. But that's the idea

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:54 am

Montegriffo wrote:Seeing as it's page 4 and nobody else has mentioned it I'm going to talk about the environmental benefits of cycling. Reduced congestion and cleaner air in city centres has to be a positive. Big cities in the UK are moving towards banning diesel vehicles in city centres,the LEZ or London Emission Zone has been in force for over a decade. Boris Johnson's greatest legacy as London mayor was the bike rental scheme known as Boris bikes where you don't have to take it back to the place you picked it up but can use any of the drop off points around the city. Not only that, with decent cycle lanes you can save time on your journey as the traffic often moves at walking pace. Not to mention reduced CO2 output as a result of leaving your car at home and no more parking space worries.
I don't know why cities still let cars in. I fucking hate trying to get somewhere in a city by car.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

apeman

Post by apeman » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:02 am

Okeefenokee wrote: I fucking hate trying to get somewhere in a city by car.
Me too.

I don't like driving, take a train if I could choose