pettertb

Re: Sometimes I wish there was more police brutality

Post by pettertb » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:22 am

Cycling is nice :D

adwinistrator

Post by adwinistrator » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:31 am

pettertb wrote:Cycling is nice :D
I enjoy cycling as well, and really don't understand the hate...

Where I live, there aren't any bike lanes, so I usually use the sidewalk and the shoulder when I can, but there are plenty of roads without either, and I'll use the lane...

Idiots on bikes are as bad as idiots in cars, as long as everyone obeys the rules of the road (actual law, not your made up rules), there's no problem.

If you get pissed off about bikes in the road, and the law says they can't use the sidewalk, go complain to your legislators to change the laws, or make bike lanes...

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:38 am

It depends on where you live and the cycling culture there. Where I live, cyclists are a plague on the community. They ride down roads much too small to accommodate them, and too dangerous for them at that. They hold up traffic in the worst hours as people have to slow down to 10 mph or worse in order to wait for an opening to pass the cyclists.

In my experience here, many of the cyclists are exactly as rude and aggressive as the guy was in the video before he took it down. I have seen them deliberately ride out in the middle of the street to block traffic. They can well see a long line of cars behind them and they don't care at all.

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:04 am

I remember looking at Google Map images of US cities once, and noticing that infrastructure only really favors cars. As with any vehicle, if there's no proper, safe traffic infrastructure to handle it, those who do cycle are more likely to be either nuisances or outright dangers to themselves and others.

Anyway... how common is using a bicycle as daily mode of transportion in the US, particularly cities? In US TV series, when someone's a bicyclist they usually wear... spandex gear and ride Tour-de-Francey bikes, or generally wear special "cycling gear". Does this mean that those few who do ride a bicycle, don't use it to get to work... or that they actually show up for work in form-fitting spandex shorts? :?
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:12 am

BjornP wrote:I remember looking at Google Map images of US cities once, and noticing that infrastructure only really favors cars. As with any vehicle, if there's no proper, safe traffic infrastructure to handle it, those who do cycle are more likely to be either nuisances or outright dangers to themselves and others.

Anyway... how common is using a bicycle as daily mode of transportion in the US, particularly cities? In US TV series, when someone's a bicyclist they usually wear... spandex gear and ride Tour-de-Francey bikes, or generally wear special "cycling gear". Does this mean that those few who do ride a bicycle, don't use it to get to work... or that they actually show up for work in form-fitting spandex shorts? :?

In general, the higher concentration of progs, the more cyclists you have.

apeman

Post by apeman » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:30 am

I love cycling, esp. practical applications, I have a steel touring bike, I rock the panniers and got all the super-bright lights. I also really fucking hate driving, esp. for chores, but if I have to do chores, doing 'em by bike can actually be fun.

Riding on the sidewalk is illegal here, I always ride in the road. Every now and then I encounter a disgruntled driver, but rarely.
BjornP wrote:Anyway... how common is using a bicycle as daily mode of transportion in the US, particularly cities? In US TV series, when someone's a bicyclist they usually wear... spandex gear and ride Tour-de-Francey bikes, or generally wear special "cycling gear". Does this mean that those few who do ride a bicycle, don't use it to get to work... or that they actually show up for work in form-fitting spandex shorts? :?
Good observation.

99% of Americans have no idea how to actually use a bike, what kind of bike to buy/ride, how to make a bike functional, etc. It is just a rich man's hobby, mostly, where you dress up in the super gay spandex and ride your 3K racing bike 5x per year.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:40 am

You kind of have to be borderline gay or worse to want to put on the colorful spandex regalia and ride out in front of traffic like that, frustrating people's commute.

Go hunting or off-roading instead. If you have to ride a bike, switch to mountain biking, grow a beard, and wear your tactical shorts and militia t-shirt.

Or just lift weights like a man.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

apeman

Post by apeman » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:42 am

Speaker to Animals wrote: If you have to ride a bike, switch to mountain biking, grow a beard, and wear your tactical shorts and militia t-shirt.

Or just lift weights like a man.
Using a bike as transportation isn't the least bit gay, lame, or whatever.

You could, in fact, use a bike as transportation AND lift weights.

Fucking crazy, I know.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:43 am

Too much cardio steals your gains.

But to be fair, there are some super gay dudes at the gym too.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:47 am

Seriously, for cardio, just set aside time to run or swim three to four days per week. It's cheaper and better for you, and you won't get rUn down by some mom behind the wheel of a 4Runner texting one her baby daddies while blasting shitty music. You don't want to die to the tune of Mariah Carey.