Secretary of State Pick

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Re: Secretary of State Pick

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:11 am

OSHA is just the continuation of a long tradition of labor protection. Need I point out that that the decline begins right around the creation of the CIO to protect industrial workers instead of just focusing on trades.

I am sure that is just correlation though, and the belief in workers protections is just leftist hand wringing.

Hey, if we are lucky, mayhaps Trump can make us competitive with China by importing their attitude towards workers.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

apeman

Post by apeman » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:11 am

While I completely agree with clubby's sentiment, there could be a lot of variables involved in that chart.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:26 am

What sentiment?

A crudely drawn chart with no context that people can fall over themselves in a race to claim a slam dunk against OSHA? 4 worker fatalities in 100,000 is the 'pendulum swinging to far to the left?' Labor protections don't correspond meaningfully to decreased labor injuries and fatalities?

I am sure our society can tolerate way more work related fatalities as the pendulum normalizes.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

K@th

Post by K@th » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:52 am

apeman wrote:While I completely agree with clubby's sentiment, there could be a lot of variables involved in that chart.
Boatloads of variables.

# of people in workforce increases, decline in the riskier types of jobs, increase in number of "safer" jobs, like secretaries & teachers....

Show us a chart on the number of injuries & deaths with raw numbers, or as a % of the workforce.
Account abandoned.

apeman

Post by apeman » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:52 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:What sentiment?

A crudely drawn chart with no context that people can fall over themselves in a race to claim a slam dunk against OSHA? 4 worker fatalities in 100,000 is the 'pendulum swinging to far to the left?' Labor protections don't correspond meaningfully to decreased labor injuries and fatalities?

I am sure our society can tolerate way more work related fatalities as the pendulum normalizes.
What sentiment?

Are you pretending to be obtuse, or do you really not know?

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:55 am

apeman wrote:

What sentiment?

When it comes to being obtuse, I never need to pretend... it is the source of my charm.

I really don't know what the point was, other than to prove OSHA happened after the main thrust of the American labor movement had done the heavy lifting, and somehow that meant OSHA was surplus to requirement.
HAIL!

-Hwen

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:28 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
apeman wrote:

What sentiment?

When it comes to being obtuse, I never need to pretend... it is the source of my charm.

I really don't know what the point was, other than to prove OSHA happened after the main thrust of the American labor movement had done the heavy lifting, and somehow that meant OSHA was surplus to requirement.
This was the point.
OSHA wasn't created because companies were making their factories too safe for workers. Before OSHA, people were dying.
To refute that nonsense. That the American people are too stupid without ridiculous bureaucrat government overreach. That if government makes some cuts and takes some letters out of the alphabet soup it won't be the end of the world. But nope, we can't do anything like that because one political party has made the growth and mission creep of government part of their existential long term strategy.

K@th

Post by K@th » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:32 am

clubgop wrote: But nope, we can't do anything like that because one political party has made the growth and mission creep of government part of their existential long term strategy.
And... . who started OSHA? The EPA?
Account abandoned.

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:45 am

Kath wrote:
clubgop wrote: But nope, we can't do anything like that because one political party has made the growth and mission creep of government part of their existential long term strategy.
And... . who started OSHA? The EPA?
A party that grew government for the sake of growing government that I am glad to have passed on that burden to others. Hell, I am not even saying I would eliminate EPA or OSHA. But at the slightest hint of reform and taking a step back you chicken littles have to go to DEFCON 1 like the next day it will be 1920 all over again.

K@th

Post by K@th » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:48 am

clubgop wrote: But at the slightest hint of reform and taking a step back you chicken littles have to go to DEFCON 1 like the next day it will be 1920 all over again.
Nah... we definitely have too much regulation. The fear is real, though. Look what happened when we removed regulations from the banking industry. That went swell.

Anytime someone completely unpredictable and unreliable says "roll back regulations," there is a natural fear that some of the important ones will get thrown out. It's not like there's no precedence for that.
Account abandoned.