Secretary of State Pick

Cid

Re: Secretary of State Pick

Post by Cid » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:25 pm

They need to separate nuclear into a separate department. I think its very intelligent to have someone with a degree in nuclear engineering overseeing nuclear power/weapons. I think its a bad pr move and a bad administrative move to put Rick Perry there.

If you have to give oil a bone, give oil a bone, but I don't know what Rick Perry is going to do there. Its just weird.

ssu

Post by ssu » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:42 pm

Cid wrote:They need to separate nuclear into a separate department. I think its very intelligent to have someone with a degree in nuclear engineering overseeing nuclear power/weapons. I think its a bad pr move and a bad administrative move to put Rick Perry there.

If you have to give oil a bone, give oil a bone, but I don't know what Rick Perry is going to do there. Its just weird.
If Rick Perry can make waves about the state of the US nuclear weapons program, that would be a good thing. And be a spokesperson on the issue that nuclear power isn't as dangerous that people think, but actually safe, then he would be a great pick. After all, I think a Rick Perry coming out and saying something about nuclear issues can turn the heads of journalists than some H. Simpson, a senior professor on nuclear engineering.

Cid

Post by Cid » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:17 pm

The current head is a nuclear scientist.

Here's the thing, oil and coal are cheap, nuclear is complicated and scary (to most, in my experience) and solar and wind are not only easy but produce a lot more jobs.

So, it really depends on the outcomes you want. Coal is awful for many reasons unrelated to CO2. Coal slurry is basically pure toxic sludge. Oil is better, though mainly because natural gas accompanies oil and is easier to capture from a well.

Mind you we still just straight up burn off tons of natural gas or just let it vent straight into the atmosphere.

I mean, if energy was even cheaper, money wouldn't flow, and when money doesn't flow people get pissed off. You're not going to get new nuclear. Fukushima took care of that. Its too costly to do right, and we're getting to the point where the supply of solar and wind is actually getting to the impressive numbers people thought were pie in the sky when it started back in the 90s. So coal, gas and oil will continue because that's money and jobs people want. Solar and wind will continue because rich people dislike shitty air and water, but nuclear will be phased out except for a couple places.

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:02 pm

Kath wrote:OSHA wasn't created because companies were making their factories too safe for workers. Before OSHA, people were dying.

And, I used to be the OSHA compliance officer at a factory. I've read the OSHA book. Yikes. 3" book on onion skin with a 6 pt font. I get it. I got through two surprise OSHA inspections with 0 violations found.
Bullshit, your premise is total bullshit.

They were just dropping like flys before 1971. :roll:
Last edited by clubgop on Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:06 pm

clubgop wrote:
Kath wrote:OSHA wasn't created because companies were making their factories too safe for workers. Before OSHA, people were dying.

And, I used to be the OSHA compliance officer at a factory. I've read the OSHA book. Yikes. 3" book on onion skin with a 6 pt font. I get it. I got through two surprise OSHA inspections with 0 violations found.
Bullshit, you're premise is total bullshit.

Dayum.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:21 pm

Not if those federal agencies regulations need to be heavily rolled back, then that's a good thing, the most ardent critics know where most of the fat is. If you think they are going to cut an entire federal agency you are mistaken, that isn't going to happen

Yes, now I would mothball Commerce, energy, and education, but some of the departments would be placed in bureaucracies better suited for their purposes. Like commerce has all the weather services, just transfer the operations under the Ag Dept. Or Interior. Have them settle it with a softball game on the WH lawn.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:26 pm

clubgop wrote:
Not if those federal agencies regulations need to be heavily rolled back, then that's a good thing, the most ardent critics know where most of the fat is. If you think they are going to cut an entire federal agency you are mistaken, that isn't going to happen

Yes, now I would mothball Commerce, energy, and education, but some of the departments would be placed in bureaucracies better suited for their purposes. Like commerce has all the weather services, just transfer the operations under the Ag Dept. Or Interior. Have them settle it with a softball game on the WH lawn.
Gather Congress up into groups of ten. Put them in a room. Tell them half the country has been destroyed by nukes, and we can only maintain 25% of the government. Take the 75% that scores lowest, and cut the bottom half.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:29 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
clubgop wrote:

Bullshit, your premise is total bullshit.

Dayum.
Its like gun control in UK or here. Dogs barking at the sunrise thinking that if they stopped the sun would fail to rise. They dont rule over us, they serve us as soon as they get it twisted, rope meet lamppost.

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:14 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
clubgop wrote:

Dayum.
Clubby always brings the heavy lumber.

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:43 am

Haumana wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
clubgop wrote:

Dayum.
Clubby always brings the heavy lumber.
Whenever OSHA comes up, inevitably someone mentions child labor laws. Yeah, except for the 40 years apart, they happened simultaneously.