Secretary of State Pick

apeman

Re: Secretary of State Pick

Post by apeman » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:30 pm

Kath, excellent speculation, lets see what the most unpredictable man to ever get elected to the office does when he's there.

$100 says that Trump/Congress does not do away with any regulation prohibiting the locking of the back door of a factory.

Deal?

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:31 pm

That's an OSHA reg.
Edit: I see we are talking about OSHA. Don't mind me.

K@th

Post by K@th » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:34 pm

apeman wrote:

$100 says that Trump/Congress does not do away with any regulation prohibiting the locking of the back door of a factory.

Deal?
Sure. It's not that specific regulation, but if the OSHA budget gets cut to the point that inspectors are not out in the field, it will be a de facto way of saying there are no longer any safety regulations.
Account abandoned.

apeman

Post by apeman » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:38 pm

Kath wrote:
apeman wrote:

Deal?
Sure. It's not that specific regulation, but if the OSHA budget gets cut to the point that inspectors are not out in the field, it will be a de facto way of saying there are no longer any safety regulations.
I regularly deal with this stuff, including contracting with third party safety inspectors --I will keep my eyes out to see of a single one of my clients or their competitors can start nefariously locking the back doors, and report back here.

OSHA or no OSHA, if people get hurt in NYC because a back door is locked, the hell to pay will be unimaginable, like a simpsons pitchfork mob.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:41 pm

Anyone who thinks that just because someone promotes de-regulation they are pushing to get rid of only the good regulations, that is fear mongering.
Anyone who thinks that just because someone promotes regulation they are pushing to only implement bad regulations, that is fear mongering.

Both are ridiculous generalizations. Some regulations are good and some regulations are bad, therefore regulation and de-regulation are useful in different circumstances and shouldn't be abandoned because of ideological misconceptions. Putting people who support de-regulation in charge of federal agencies that have a lot of bad regulations should not be viewed as them seeking to dismantle all of the good regulations that agency supports. That is fear mongering.
*yip*

apeman

Post by apeman » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:42 pm

Since when are you so moderate and reasonable?

K@th

Post by K@th » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:43 pm

OSHA wasn't created because companies were making their factories too safe for workers. Before OSHA, people were dying.

And, I used to be the OSHA compliance officer at a factory. I've read the OSHA book. Yikes. 3" book on onion skin with a 6 pt font. I get it. I got through two surprise OSHA inspections with 0 violations found.
Account abandoned.

K@th

Post by K@th » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:44 pm

StCapps wrote: Putting people who support de-regulation in charge of federal agencies that have a lot of bad regulations should not be viewed as them seeking to dismantle all of the good regulations that agency supports. That is fear mongering.
Putting people in charge of federal agencies that don't believe the agency serves a purpose is bad.
Account abandoned.

apeman

Post by apeman » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:45 pm

Kath wrote:OSHA wasn't created because companies were making their factories too safe for workers. Before OSHA, people were dying.

And, I used to be the OSHA compliance officer at a factory. I've read the OSHA book. Yikes. 3" book on onion skin with a 6 pt font. I get it. I got through two surprise OSHA inspections with 0 violations found.
Well I withdraw my lecture then, and charge you with fear mongering and straw manning instead, which is a lesser charge, if you open the OSHA book, its somewhere in chapter 328, something about yelling fire in a crowded factory

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:55 pm

Kath wrote:Putting people in charge of federal agencies that don't believe the agency serves a purpose is bad.
Not if those federal agencies regulations need to be heavily rolled back, then that's a good thing, the most ardent critics know where most of the fat is. If you think they are going to cut an entire federal agency you are mistaken, that isn't going to happen.

How is Rick Perry going to kill the Department of Energy when he can't even remember that he wants to scrap it on the debate stage? He was just pandering in the primary anyway, if Perry had been elected president he never would have appointed someone who would scrap it, and as the Secretary of Energy he isn't going to either, keep it calm.
*yip*