Investment suggestions for Trump's presidency?

Jakefairplay

Investment suggestions for Trump's presidency?

Post by Jakefairplay » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:55 am

I have no experience in investing with the stock market, but Trump's spree of job retaining deals has me excited to try it out. Anyone here have such expertise that they'd like to share? :)

apeman

Re: Investment suggestions for Trump's presidency?

Post by apeman » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:11 am

When people post this:
I have no experience in investing with the stock market, but Trump's spree of job retaining deals has me excited to try it out.
it means the top isn't far off.
An old Wall Street saying has it that when everybody’s getting into the market and even the shoeshine boy is giving stock tips (or the barber/hairdresser or the taxi driver or the waiter or the bartender), then it’s time to sell.

Supposedly, Joseph P. Kennedy (1888-1969) knew that it was time to get out of the market in 1929 when his shoeshine boy began giving him stock tips. Contemporary citations have not been found, but the event appears in a 1965 biography of Joseph P. Kennedy.
YMMV

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:14 am

Bullets and guns.
#NotOneRedCent

Jakefairplay

Post by Jakefairplay » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:13 am

apeman wrote:When people post this:
I have no experience in investing with the stock market, but Trump's spree of job retaining deals has me excited to try it out.
it means the top isn't far off.
An old Wall Street saying has it that when everybody’s getting into the market and even the shoeshine boy is giving stock tips (or the barber/hairdresser or the taxi driver or the waiter or the bartender), then it’s time to sell.

Supposedly, Joseph P. Kennedy (1888-1969) knew that it was time to get out of the market in 1929 when his shoeshine boy began giving him stock tips. Contemporary citations have not been found, but the event appears in a 1965 biography of Joseph P. Kennedy.
YMMV
Not sure what you meant by the top not being too far off. Are you referring to a coming drop in stocks or something? Like I said, I know very little about this so I understand if my assumptions seem silly and ignorant to others.

boethius

Post by boethius » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:29 am

Jakefairplay wrote:I have no experience in investing with the stock market....
Then stay the fuck out OR take a job where you get paid to learn and gain experience.
Still got my foreskin thanks for asking. - Montegriffo.

apeman

Post by apeman » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:42 am

I just meant that the time to buy is when everyone is fearful, the time to sell is when everyone is euphoric.

You pay a high price for a rosy consensus.

BUT

No one knows what will happen.

Jakefairplay

Post by Jakefairplay » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:48 am

boethius wrote:
Jakefairplay wrote:I have no experience in investing with the stock market....
Then stay the fuck out OR take a job where you get paid to learn and gain experience.
Well I guess if everyone followed that logic then no one would participate

apeman

Post by apeman » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:02 am

The "trump trade" boosted financials, transport, industrial and commodities. The gains may have already been had, be careful not to be the last guy in.

BUT

maybe the gains are just starting, and the euphoria just beginning.

Your best bet is to ask GrumpyCatFace, he is the resident economics and finance expert. His views on wealth creation are beyond reproach.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:03 am

Real estate right now? Buy or wait?

I am like Jon Snow, I know nothing, but in my gut it looks like prices are at a peak for the prices that are being asked for for pieces of shit.

I mean, houses that would be under $100k in other locales are like 6 here
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

apeman

Post by apeman » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:07 am

AndrewBennett wrote:Real estate right now? Buy or wait?

I am like Jon Snow, I know nothing, but in my gut it looks like prices are at a peak for the prices that are being asked for for pieces of shit.

I mean, houses that would be under $100k in other locales are like 6 here
No one knows, the base case in the big banks is we are gonna see strong inflation, Fed says it's willing to let inflation run hot.

If so

That giant mortgage at 4% just got much cheaper.

I personally hope for some real inflation for similar reasons. Erode the dollar by another half and my mortgage payment will be 10% of my income.

But no one really knows, uncharted waters IMO, and the investment community is acting like the most unpredictable man ever didn't just win the presidency.