Europe, Boring Until it's Not

Hastur

Re: Europe, Boring Until it's Not

Post by Hastur » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:02 am

Kath wrote:
BjornP wrote:Don't know if it will actually help you or what sort of guidelines or documentation your company's given you to work from, Kath, but this is the official site for the GDPR site, and the section dealing with how companies should respond to it:

https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic ... sations_en

Also did a brief search for a US firm advising on the GDPR and found this result:

https://www.whitecase.com/publications/ ... regulation
So, it really is loosey-goosey
"Personal data" means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person ("data subject"); an identifiable person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that person.
So, I suppose if the employee had put his employee number somewhere, for whatever reason, and some random person gets access to my system, and finds that number, they could theoretically compare the two numbers. It's a long way to get there, though.

Either, way, I have 10 hours in this already, with easily 30 more to go to scroll through every table that has an employee ID, which is hundreds. I'm just one small system.

This is costing our company thousands of hours, I'll bet. What I have to do is nothing compared to what others have to do.

They should be very, VERY clear on what is PII, because nobody really has a great understanding if a work email address is PII, so we are caring for it, just-in-case.
I looked it up.

Anything that can be used to identify a person directly or indirectly counts. Some examples:

Name
Social security number
email address
Phone number
IP address
Picture
surveillance footage
membership number
customer number
case number
etc.

Remember that all electronic records count. Don't forget to go through backups, old computers/disks. Even smartphones belonging to the company. I spent a lot of time last week going through 8 years of emails including attachments and contact lists since that counts as well.

Have fun ;)

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

K@th

Post by K@th » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:30 pm

Hastur wrote:

Remember that all electronic records count. Don't forget to go through backups, old computers/disks. Even smartphones belonging to the company. I spent a lot of time last week going through 8 years of emails including attachments and contact lists since that counts as well.

Have fun ;)
It's hard enough to figure out all the people who've sent you an email or been in a CC of an email - that's a big task. Now, add to that task that you have to look up hundreds of people you don't know to see if they are still employed? Pfft. Talk about overkill.

Stupid.
Account abandoned.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:32 pm

Just make like Hillary.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:41 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Just make like Hillary.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:00 pm

I like to use wet wipes for that reason now when I can't take a shower.

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:22 pm

Things like this are why I'm glad I'm older than you all.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:03 pm

What kind of animal skips the wet wipes???

K@th

Post by K@th » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:15 pm

During his lil' chat with Congress yesterday, Zuckerburg suggested we get a law similar to the GDRP.

:cry:
Account abandoned.

Otern

Post by Otern » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:08 pm

Kath wrote:During his lil' chat with Congress yesterday, Zuckerburg suggested we get a law similar to the GDRP.

:cry:
Elaborate?

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:02 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43726976
Thousands of people who arrived in the UK as children in the first wave of Commonwealth immigration face being threatened with deportation.

They have lived and worked in the UK for decades but many are now being told they are here illegally.

A new petition on the government's website calling on the Home Office to grant them an amnesty has attracted more than 23,000 signatures.

The Home Office said it would handle applications to stay "sensitively".The problem arises from the fact that under the 1971 Immigration Act, all Commonwealth citizens already living in the UK were given indefinite leave to remain - but the right to free movement between Commonwealth nations was ended from that date onwards.

However, the Home Office did not keep a record of those granted leave to remain or issue any paperwork confirming it, meaning it is difficult for the individuals to now prove they are in the UK legally.

The Migration Observatory at Oxford University estimates there are 500,000 people resident in the UK who were born in a Commonwealth country and arrived before 1971.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.