Brits Step Up to the Plate in the South China Sea

de officiis

Brits Step Up to the Plate in the South China Sea

Post by de officiis » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:59 pm

British fighters to overfly South China Sea; carriers in Pacific after 2020: envoy

12/1 - David Brunnstrom - Reuters
British fighter planes visiting Japan will fly over the South China Sea and Britain will sail aircraft carriers in the Pacific once they are operational in 2020, given concerns about freedom of navigation there, Britain's ambassador to the United States said on Thursday.

The envoy . . . told a Washington think tank that British Typhoon aircraft currently deployed on a visit to Japan would fly across disputed parts of the South China Sea to assert international overflight rights . . . .

Four British fighter planes arrived in Japan in October to take part in exercises with Japanese forces at a time of rising tensions over China's pursuit of disputed territory in East Asia, including the South and East China Seas.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-brita ... SKBN13R00D

<little popcorn guy/>

Anyone care to posit how these growing tensions with China over navigation rights in the S. China Sea are likely to play out?

Okeefenokee

Re: Brits Step Up to the Plate in the South China Sea

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:53 pm

Damn, Britain. Typhoons? You need some money?

/snicker
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

skankhunt42

Post by skankhunt42 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:16 am

What is China's end game in all of this? Taiwan? Something more?
I say we let the Japanese arm up to the gils again, screw it.
"just realize that our Welfare states are also propped up by your Warfare. You're not actually defending us from threats, but you are propping us up by fabricating threats to maintain the Perpetual War." - Smitty

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:54 am

How can they not have operational aircraft carriers? Britain was built on naval power and their power rests more on their navy than even the US's does. Do they just expect to ride on our coattails?
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:37 am

AndrewBennett wrote:How can they not have operational aircraft carriers? Britain was built on naval power and their power rests more on their navy than even the US's does. Do they just expect to ride on our coattails?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Rely on America to preserve our security at home without spending as much money on it? Yes, please! *eats scone*
skankhunt42 wrote:What is China's end game in all of this? Taiwan? Something more?
They're playing the regional hegemonic role. They want the same rights to toot-toot their tugboats around as the West, and they have the ability in their sphere to play that role. This is all prep-work for a contingency plan, make no mistake.

Part of me wants to allow Japan to re-militarize, although I don't know enough about Japanese politics and culture to say whether or not they wouldn't just regress into Tojo again.

SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:34 am

Xenophon wrote:
AndrewBennett wrote:How can they not have operational aircraft carriers? Britain was built on naval power and their power rests more on their navy than even the US's does. Do they just expect to ride on our coattails?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Rely on America to preserve our security at home without spending as much money on it? Yes, please! *eats scone*
skankhunt42 wrote:What is China's end game in all of this? Taiwan? Something more?
They're playing the regional hegemonic role. They want the same rights to toot-toot their tugboats around as the West, and they have the ability in their sphere to play that role. This is all prep-work for a contingency plan, make no mistake.

Part of me wants to allow Japan to re-militarize, although I don't know enough about Japanese politics and culture to say whether or not they wouldn't just regress into Tojo again.
Yeah I don't think I would let them arm up again. Trump will deal with China the proper way.......Win back favor with Russia and make them a true ally. With Americans, Russians, and the Brits on the same side China will do exactly jack shit because they know it would be their doom.
There is a time for good men to do bad things.

For fuck sake, 1984 is NOT an instruction manual!

:character-bowser: __________ :character-mario: :character-luigi:

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:15 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:Damn, Britain. Typhoons? You need some money?

/snicker
Aw come on, we came up with the Spitfire. We won and quit forever on top. Can't be beat. End of.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:19 pm

Carrier's have been ready for years.
You are late delivering the planes.
According to Smitty anyway.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.