What is the Chance of an Electoral College Revolt?

Ex-California

Re: What is the Chance of an Electoral College Revolt?

Post by Ex-California » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:50 pm

Xenophon wrote:
AndrewBennett wrote: So basically Affirmative Action for unpopulated states?

The Presidency is a national office, therefore, the vote should be a national vote. There's no reason to make sectional distinctions anymore. Besides, if the other sides wants its policies, then it needs to work harder to get the vote out.

Lastly, the Electoral College is not what's preventing us from dictating policy to the rest of the states. The makeup of the House and Senate ensure equal representation of the smaller states.

Furthermore, the Electoral College must be destroyed
There is no singular American culture. Appalachia's concerns are not California's concerns. The Mid-West's concerns are not New York City's concerns. In some cases, they hold opposing viewpoints. Is the ideal scenario here to allow the densely populated urban bubbles to dictate national policy from the Presidency? As a citizen of one of the states that is routinely mocked by liberal bubbles, I sure as heck don't want those people bringing down from on high their collectivist nonsense and forcing it upon the unwilling. Rural and less populated areas should not be pigeonholed into spending their tax dollars on programs they are politically or ideologically opposed to.

The Electoral College is a bulwark against the tyranny of direct democracy. Give me even one real world situation in which a direct democratic vote has ever done anything but muck up a system? You live in California for Pete's sake, AB.
It should be doubly evident to you.
The only time the system gets mucked up is when the losers throw tantrums and put the propositions in courts. Which I admit, happens all the time, but that's just a failing of the system. Without the lawsuits, most of our Propositions would have been great improvements.

Direct Democracy also gave us the Governator, which was awesome
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Two Man

Post by Two Man » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:54 pm

I'll see your Governator and raise you 4 terms of Gov. Brown. That's who made California great again.

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:00 pm

C-Mag wrote:

The Presidency is a national office, therefore, the vote should be a national vote. There's no reason to make sectional distinctions anymore. Besides, if the other sides wants its policies, then it needs to work harder to get the vote out.

Lastly, the Electoral College is not what's preventing us from dictating policy to the rest of the states. The makeup of the House and Senate ensure equal representation of the smaller states.

I'm not seeing an Electoral College revolt. There may be several symbolic protest votes. But that's about it. To AB's point I don't see this really as AA for unpopulated states either. In this election Donald Trump won 98 % of all counties in country.
In the state of New York Trump won 46 counties, Hillary 16.
Nationwide Trump won 3,084 counties, Hillary won a mere 57 counties.
Hillary got the lionshare of her votes from just 3 cities. New York, Chicago and Los Angeles.
http://www.allenbwest.com/michele/numbe ... al-college
The numbers show some shocking results. It's not necessarily Urban vs Rural as I had long held, it appears to be Dense Urban Centers vs the rest of the country.

Now add in that the GOP owns dominance in State Legislators, Governors, House and Senate, I don't think the Electoral College revolt will happen.
I don't think those numbers are right regarding counties won. It seems to be a meme run amuck. While checking it out I found this article that broke down the 114,000 votes that swung the college vote.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11 ... -election/

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:19 pm

Haumana wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
I'm not seeing an Electoral College revolt. There may be several symbolic protest votes. But that's about it. To AB's point I don't see this really as AA for unpopulated states either. In this election Donald Trump won 98 % of all counties in country.
In the state of New York Trump won 46 counties, Hillary 16.
Nationwide Trump won 3,084 counties, Hillary won a mere 57 counties.
Hillary got the lionshare of her votes from just 3 cities. New York, Chicago and Los Angeles.
http://www.allenbwest.com/michele/numbe ... al-college
The numbers show some shocking results. It's not necessarily Urban vs Rural as I had long held, it appears to be Dense Urban Centers vs the rest of the country.

Now add in that the GOP owns dominance in State Legislators, Governors, House and Senate, I don't think the Electoral College revolt will happen.
I don't think those numbers are right regarding counties won. It seems to be a meme run amuck. While checking it out I found this article that broke down the 114,000 votes that swung the college vote.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11 ... -election/
It's looking like it depends on how you want to look at the mathematical problem. The USGS confirms there are 3,141 counties in the country.
https://www2.usgs.gov/faq/categories/9799/2971
The Washington Post refuted the findings. But their numbers don't agree with the USGS.

Regardless. When you look at how the number of counties that voted for Trump it's a landslide. Even with the way the Washington Post does it, Trump still wins 4 to 1.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:25 pm

C-Mag wrote:
It's looking like it depends on how you want to look at the mathematical problem. The USGS confirms there are 3,141 counties in the country.
The Washington Post refuted the findings. But their numbers don't agree with the USGS.

Regardless. When you look at how the number of counties that voted for Trump it's a landslide. Even with the way the Washington Post does it, Trump still wins 4 to 1.
No doubt. My problem was more with the validity of the meme. Whenever anyone talks to me about Hillary winning the popular vote, I just point out that Trump won 30/50 states. insert shrug smiley.

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:59 pm

AndrewBennett wrote:
Xenophon wrote:

There is no singular American culture. Appalachia's concerns are not California's concerns. The Mid-West's concerns are not New York City's concerns. In some cases, they hold opposing viewpoints. Is the ideal scenario here to allow the densely populated urban bubbles to dictate national policy from the Presidency? As a citizen of one of the states that is routinely mocked by liberal bubbles, I sure as heck don't want those people bringing down from on high their collectivist nonsense and forcing it upon the unwilling. Rural and less populated areas should not be pigeonholed into spending their tax dollars on programs they are politically or ideologically opposed to.

The Electoral College is a bulwark against the tyranny of direct democracy. Give me even one real world situation in which a direct democratic vote has ever done anything but muck up a system? You live in California for Pete's sake, AB.
It should be doubly evident to you.
The only time the system gets mucked up is when the losers throw tantrums and put the propositions in courts. Which I admit, happens all the time, but that's just a failing of the system. Without the lawsuits, most of our Propositions would have been great improvements.

Direct Democracy also gave us the Governator, which was awesome
It's interesting that people who don't have a clue about the political system, let alone why the machinery is set up the way it is want to start sledgehammering it as soon as they don't get what they want. It appears both parties do it. Idiots. Not to mention that the States are called States, and not provinces for a reason. They are actually states that can, and some had/have their own militaries, legal systems, voting systems, etc. You can even be a citizen of a state and not the country.

While I disagree that there is not an American culture, I do not think having Texas imposing its values on Rhode Island would be good. There are serious differences.

Which are reasons why we have the Electoral College. The separate, and very different, individual, States are choosing the President, not the Nation as a whole.

There are plenty of complaints you can make on different States, but on this collectivism BS, as a rule, if the state is blue it sends more money to the Federal Government than it takes in. The red states take in more money from the Federal Government than they give back. It's the red states that suck on the government's money teats.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:00 pm

Haumana wrote:
C-Mag wrote:

No doubt. My problem was more with the validity of the meme. Whenever anyone talks to me about Hillary winning the popular vote, I just point out that Trump won 30/50 states. insert shrug smiley.

Have all the street riots died down now
PLATA O PLOMO

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:07 pm

C-Mag wrote: Have all the street riots died down now
My street is pretty quiet but then again my sister hasn't spoken but 3 words to me since 11/9. :lol: I guess my MAGA hat didn't go over too well.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:23 pm

Haumana wrote:
My street is pretty quiet but then again my sister hasn't spoken but 3 words to me since 11/9. :lol: I guess my MAGA hat didn't go over too well.

I have a Sister-By-Law that's in the middle of this million woman march on the Trump Inauguration, so I know the feeling.
PLATA O PLOMO

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:34 pm

Haumana wrote:
Mom, and I, were having a seriously intense "discussion" about the election at the retirement home dining room during Thanksgiving, when some of the staff asked if we wanted more coffee, and oh, is everything okay? :oops:

We're talking just fine now, but that was embarrassing. All these little, old, quiet people with their families. Then there's us. Oh well. Where Mom is is Republican Country, and she is was Clinton, and l'm seriously to the left of Saunders.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.