What is the Chance of an Electoral College Revolt?

Fife

Re: What is the Chance of an Electoral College Revolt?

Post by Fife » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:06 am

How long would it take Hillary to get back up to speed on her meds and taxidermy, though?

Are they planning far enough in advance? Prolly need to put off mid-week spirit cooking until after Festivus.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:21 am

I'm pretty sure Clinton got through 2016 on pure grit and force of will alone. I'm rather surprised she didn't evaporate in a cloud of acrid smoke the moment the election was called.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:54 pm

AndrewBennett wrote:This is one of the main reasons why i am against the Electoral College; it exists to deny the will of the people if the elites so wish.

The threat to our democratic ideals by the delegates going their own way is way worse than any perceived threat by the "demagogue" Trump

Robert Reich, who I usually like, posted some screed about how the Electoral College should do this. All the idiots were out in force quoting Hamilton after that. I don't know about the rest of you, but Alexander Hamilton is the anathema to most values that I consider American
The Electoral College prevents California from single handedly dictating policy to the rest of the country. To a lesser extent, it provides representation for smaller states. Tyranny by Majority in the form of Direct Democracy would have the current hostility between the two competing ideologies to bubble over into open conflict.

kybkh

Post by kybkh » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:56 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Trump would have won a popular vote election. Consider the most populated states are solid blue in the electoral college. Most woud-be republican voters in those states have little reason to vote. But their overall numbers are pretty high. Switch to a popular vote and those dense blue urban areas you see on electoral maps become open season for the GOP.
I tried going down that road with a liberal and they were simply having none of it. Saying the same could be said from the other side as well.

Usually higher turnouts benefit dems though.
“I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life, nonprofits, businesses, the private sector, universities to try to bring more and more Americans together around what I think is a unifying theme..." - Obama

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:25 pm

Xenophon wrote:
AndrewBennett wrote:This is one of the main reasons why i am against the Electoral College; it exists to deny the will of the people if the elites so wish.

The threat to our democratic ideals by the delegates going their own way is way worse than any perceived threat by the "demagogue" Trump

Robert Reich, who I usually like, posted some screed about how the Electoral College should do this. All the idiots were out in force quoting Hamilton after that. I don't know about the rest of you, but Alexander Hamilton is the anathema to most values that I consider American
The Electoral College prevents California from single handedly dictating policy to the rest of the country. To a lesser extent, it provides representation for smaller states. Tyranny by Majority in the form of Direct Democracy would have the current hostility between the two competing ideologies to bubble over into open conflict.
So basically Affirmative Action for unpopulated states?

The Presidency is a national office, therefore, the vote should be a national vote. There's no reason to make sectional distinctions anymore. Besides, if the other sides wants its policies, then it needs to work harder to get the vote out.

Lastly, the Electoral College is not what's preventing us from dictating policy to the rest of the states. The makeup of the House and Senate ensure equal representation of the smaller states.

Furthermore, the Electoral College must be destroyed
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:03 pm

AndrewBennett wrote: So basically Affirmative Action for unpopulated states?

The Presidency is a national office, therefore, the vote should be a national vote. There's no reason to make sectional distinctions anymore. Besides, if the other sides wants its policies, then it needs to work harder to get the vote out.

Lastly, the Electoral College is not what's preventing us from dictating policy to the rest of the states. The makeup of the House and Senate ensure equal representation of the smaller states.

I'm not seeing an Electoral College revolt. There may be several symbolic protest votes. But that's about it. To AB's point I don't see this really as AA for unpopulated states either. In this election Donald Trump won 98 % of all counties in country.
In the state of New York Trump won 46 counties, Hillary 16.
Nationwide Trump won 3,084 counties, Hillary won a mere 57 counties.
Hillary got the lionshare of her votes from just 3 cities. New York, Chicago and Los Angeles.
http://www.allenbwest.com/michele/numbe ... al-college
The numbers show some shocking results. It's not necessarily Urban vs Rural as I had long held, it appears to be Dense Urban Centers vs the rest of the country.

Now add in that the GOP owns dominance in State Legislators, Governors, House and Senate, I don't think the Electoral College revolt will happen.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:24 pm

AndrewBennett wrote: So basically Affirmative Action for unpopulated states?

There is no singular American culture. Appalachia's concerns are not California's concerns. The Mid-West's concerns are not New York City's concerns. In some cases, they hold opposing viewpoints. Is the ideal scenario here to allow the densely populated urban bubbles to dictate national policy from the Presidency? As a citizen of one of the states that is routinely mocked by liberal bubbles, I sure as heck don't want those people bringing down from on high their collectivist nonsense and forcing it upon the unwilling. Rural and less populated areas should not be pigeonholed into spending their tax dollars on programs they are politically or ideologically opposed to.

The Electoral College is a bulwark against the tyranny of direct democracy. Give me even one real world situation in which a direct democratic vote has ever done anything but muck up a system? You live in California for Pete's sake, AB.
It should be doubly evident to you.

Two Man

Post by Two Man » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:29 pm

Direct democracy just made marijuana legal in California. Not mucked up from where I'm smokin'.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:46 pm

Xenophon wrote:
The Electoral College is a bulwark against the tyranny of direct democracy. Give me even one real world situation in which a direct democratic vote has ever done anything but muck up a system?
Agreed!

It's also called a Double Majority System. Two different criteria for determining the winner.
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:47 pm

Two Man wrote:Direct democracy just made marijuana legal in California. Not mucked up from where I'm smokin'.
I'm split on Weed Legalization, but I'm good with states deciding for themselves what should be legal. So, enjoy and don't forget the Doritos.
PLATA O PLOMO