Re: Public School Education System Thread

Post by C-Mag » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:23 pm

Common Core is a big one
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:25 pm

If the feds don't really have much to do with education, and it's all states and cities running it, then you shouldn't mind if we just get rid the DOE.

Agreed?

Ok, good talk.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Zero

Post by Zero » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:25 pm

C-Mag wrote:Common Core is a big one
It’s optional.
Hontar: We must work in the world, your eminence. The world is thus.

Altamirano: No, Señor Hontar. Thus have we made the world... thus have I made it.

Zero

Post by Zero » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:30 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:If the feds don't really have much to do with education, and it's all states and cities running it, then you shouldn't mind if we just get rid the DOE.

Agreed?

Ok, good talk.
That’s not what I said, Cathy. I said majority control is at state and local level. Feds have oversight in some areas related to the 14th amendment and fill some funding gaps. That’s different from ‘control’.

Altamirano: No, Señor Hontar. Thus have we made the world... thus have I made it.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:31 pm

:lol:
C'mon man, you're better than that.

It's optional, but tied to funding. Don't do what they say and lose funding.
https://www.americanthinker.com/article ... ducat.html
As a penalty, states that failed to adopt the Common Core risked losing funding from Title I, a $14.4-billion program that provides funds for low-income students. Most school districts participate in the Title I program.

This penalty was announced in a White House press release issued on February 22, 2010. It stated that new polices from the Obama administration would "require all states to adopt and certify that they have college- and career-ready standards in reading and mathematics, which may include common standards developed by a state-led consortium, as a condition of qualifying for Title I funding."
PLATA O PLOMO

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:33 pm

Elections are a majority state and local affair, with only small oversight at federal level. No department of elections required.

Since you're saying education is about the same, we can get rid of the DOE and not lose anything.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:38 pm

Eductation Bills passed by Congress have put the screws to local decision making. And both the Ds and Rs have done it.
Both parties happily passed Bush's No Child Left Behind and Obamas Education Reform BS. Both are bad.
PLATA O PLOMO

Zero

Post by Zero » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:53 pm

C-Mag wrote::lol:
C'mon man, you're better than that.

It's optional, but tied to funding. Don't do what they say and lose funding.
https://www.americanthinker.com/article ... ducat.html
As a penalty, states that failed to adopt the Common Core risked losing funding from Title I, a $14.4-billion program that provides funds for low-income students. Most school districts participate in the Title I program.

This penalty was announced in a White House press release issued on February 22, 2010. It stated that new polices from the Obama administration would "require all states to adopt and certify that they have college- and career-ready standards in reading and mathematics, which may include common standards developed by a state-led consortium, as a condition of qualifying for Title I funding."
I’m having trouble finding more current articles on this, but I know we never adopted CC, and we never lost Title I funding. Now I’m intrigued...

Edit- speculation, but i suppose they BTFO and let us go with the TEKS as sufficiently rigorous for college/career readiness. I shall continue to seek answers.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:27 pm

Zero wrote:
I’m having trouble finding more current articles on this, but I know we never adopted CC, and we never lost Title I funding. Now I’m intrigued...

Edit- speculation, but i suppose they BTFO and let us go with the TEKS as sufficiently rigorous for college/career readiness. I shall continue to seek answers.
That's really interesting.
A few options come to mind, the Feds were bluffing, the Feds were too lazy to track who rejected CC, or your school or state played other politics to keeping finding in place.

I know in our school the Super made a big point of losing the funding and having to raise taxes.
PLATA O PLOMO

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue May 01, 2018 7:19 am

Okeefenokee wrote:Elections are a majority state and local affair, with only small oversight at federal level. No department of elections required.

Since you're saying education is about the same, we can get rid of the DOE and not lose anything.

Get rid of government schools, period.