Public School Education System Thread

MilSpecs

Re: Public School Education System Thread

Post by MilSpecs » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:53 pm

doc_loliday wrote: In the US, electives don't even exist in elementary school as far as I know. Those are reserved for middle and high school and even then, there aren't many to choose from. I was in choir in middle school and in high school I got to choose what language I wanted to learn. I took two semesters of Spanish for example. We don't have business, tech, or craftsmanship tracks and we don't have vocational schools.

And it is because all students are pushed to go to college. I am quite convinced that this simply to keep the steady flow of tax dollars going to an ever increasing education bureaucracy. Just look at how much money go to our schools, its crazy. So, yes, the trades have been demonized, they are what children are regularly threatened with and so we have multiple generations led to believe they must go to high school, college, obtain a masters and/or PhD if they want any kind of monetary success and to have a shot at any kind of happiness. As such, our colleges are often filled with remedial students and kids that cannot do math or read at the high school level.

Our city college graduation rates are less than 10% and those are inflated numbers. Four year universities do much better, but are filled with stunted kids who spend far longer than four years. US universities are big business. The ever increasing costs are passed onto the taxpayer, while mountains of debt dollars, incurred by teenagers who were told by every adult they ever knew that they must borrow this money, which legally cannot be cleared by bankruptcy, are funneled into their coffers, while international students pay a fortune to attend them. It's revolting.
Agreed for the most part. I think you're leaving out the cultural part, though, which plays an even bigger role IMO. For a couple of generations we've had an increasing cultural divide between the educated and uneducated. People can't even use self-education anymore - the degree is mandatory.
:royalty-queen:

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:49 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
doc_loliday wrote: In the US, electives don't even exist in elementary school as far as I know. Those are reserved for middle and high school and even then, there aren't many to choose from. I was in choir in middle school and in high school I got to choose what language I wanted to learn. I took two semesters of Spanish for example. We don't have business, tech, or craftsmanship tracks and we don't have vocational schools.

And it is because all students are pushed to go to college. I am quite convinced that this simply to keep the steady flow of tax dollars going to an ever increasing education bureaucracy. Just look at how much money go to our schools, its crazy. So, yes, the trades have been demonized, they are what children are regularly threatened with and so we have multiple generations led to believe they must go to high school, college, obtain a masters and/or PhD if they want any kind of monetary success and to have a shot at any kind of happiness. As such, our colleges are often filled with remedial students and kids that cannot do math or read at the high school level.

Our city college graduation rates are less than 10% and those are inflated numbers. Four year universities do much better, but are filled with stunted kids who spend far longer than four years. US universities are big business. The ever increasing costs are passed onto the taxpayer, while mountains of debt dollars, incurred by teenagers who were told by every adult they ever knew that they must borrow this money, which legally cannot be cleared by bankruptcy, are funneled into their coffers, while international students pay a fortune to attend them. It's revolting.
Agreed for the most part. I think you're leaving out the cultural part, though, which plays an even bigger role IMO. For a couple of generations we've had an increasing cultural divide between the educated and uneducated. People can't even use self-education anymore - the degree is mandatory.
I think you're conflating 2 different issues - both of which I happen to agree with.

- There is a massive divide between the educated and uneducated, both financially and culturally.

- There is a requirement for a degree to get anywhere in life, but not because of culture. It's mandated by the corporate masters, and HR departments of the country. Our boomer-industrial complex uses it to protect their dwindling influence in both academia and corporations. Actual knowledge is completely disregarded in favor of credentials. Obviously, experience trumps this, but getting your foot in the door at that first level is nearly impossible without The Paper.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:04 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
MilSpecs wrote:
I think you're conflating 2 different issues - both of which I happen to agree with.

- There is a massive divide between the educated and uneducated, both financially and culturally.

- There is a requirement for a degree to get anywhere in life, but not because of culture. It's mandated by the corporate masters, and HR departments of the country. Our boomer-industrial complex uses it to protect their dwindling influence in both academia and corporations. Actual knowledge is completely disregarded in favor of credentials. Obviously, experience trumps this, but getting your foot in the door at that first level is nearly impossible without The Paper.
The two issues work hand in hand, but the boomers are the ones who took a look around the factory floor and said "I don't want this for my kids." The path from there led to higher education and higher social status for the kids.
:royalty-queen:

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:17 pm

I agree with this analysis.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:49 pm

I am 34 years old and I am holding on for dear life with a job at this gas station, because that is literally all I'm qualified to do. Keep in mind, I had to lie on my application to even get my foot in the door (I told them my dad was a former employee making me a Speedway legacy). I am trying to get an Associates in learning BBC code so that I can work for Martin and help people post and embed videos on this site. I was even think about learning how to do nested quotes so that I can quote multiple users at once. The font color and bold functions are a bit tricky, but there are some good Bulletin Board Code tutorials on stackoverflow. Hell, Martin even quoted me on his facebook page more than once. Once I get this coding down, I will take this forum into the 21st century.

This isn't a boomer/millenial or even a Boomer Sooner thing (Texas A and M fans will get that reference). I should have started learning this BBC stuff in high school like my friends who are raking it in and are barista-ing themselves into quite decent apartments. I only hang out with Boomers though so I'm not sure how people my own age are doing. I think the economy is fine in many sorts of ways though. Economies go through Boomer and Buster cycles, and right now we have a Bullish (Chicago Lebron James) climate conducive to Horatio Alger wonder stories. Ragged Dick could have been me, if I was more educated and had my eye on the ball. Sadly, the ball keeps getting moved by these senile cocksuckers. I never learned the rules until it was too late, and now I'm the last dog to the water bowl. There aren't any shekels in my tabernacle, and my cup is drier than octogenerian pussy in the Atacama desert. If I had money I would put it into a crypto currency mutual fund with a good FICO score.
Shikata ga nai

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:21 am

Different stuff on Education at the College level
Free Speech Stazi at Universities

Marxist Prof calls on student to break the law and commit violence if necessary to destroy 'White Democracy' in the US

this Marxist Prof talks about the Heteropatriarchy................. frankly I can't believe she has a PHD, has me thinking maybe Hash's 3 doctorates aren't that big of deal

The website investigating this
http://theredelephants.com/

And his new Facebook site to encourage students to film their profs
https://www.facebook.com/FilmYourMarxistProfessors/
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:24 am

DBTrek wrote:Here’s one of many facts I’ve never seen addressed:

NCES:
Total expenditures for public elementary and secondary schools in the United States in 2013–14 amounted to $634 billion, or $12,509 per public school student enrolled in the fall (in constant 2015–16 dollars)
Tired Teacher Mantra: “We don’t even have enough for school supplies! I have to buy them with my own paycheck! More taxes to fund education!!!”

Obvious Question: How are we already paying over $12k for every kid in your classroom and you don’t have any pencils? Is it because we’re not giving you enough money, or could it possibly be that you all are extremely irresponsible with the considerable money already at your disposal?
Are you serious? I've been saying what the issue is for a good part of a decade between the DNC and now here... it seems that people would rather blame the teacher than the real problem. (Although some of the teachers truly do suck, we are talking about the money trail)

Let me break it down for you a little easier for you to comprehend, and it's very simple.

Schools are ruled the same way government is, through a top-heavy bureaucracy that gives itself raises it doesn't deserve to say the least. How many times have we heard that schools are failing because of lack of money, yet the Superintendent of the school system is easily into the six-figure salary while the majority of the time they sit on their ass collecting a paycheck and hobnobbing with politicians to further their political endeavors.

I worked as a Network Admin and had daily interactions with these people, I got paid 1/2 the salary of the secratary of the Superintendant... and for my salary back then you could hire three teachers...

So, yeah... the money is there, it's just not going to the right place, which with most bureaucracies is nothing new.
#NotOneRedCent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:34 am

C-Mag wrote:Different stuff on Education at the College level

this Marxist Prof talks about the Heteropatriarchy................. frankly I can't believe she has a PHD, has me thinking maybe Hash's 3 doctorates aren't that big of deal
...and Hash wonders why we aren't impressed by degrees. :lol: They hand those things out to anyone that can sit in class long enough.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:58 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
C-Mag wrote:Different stuff on Education at the College level

...and Hash wonders why we aren't impressed by degrees. :lol: They hand those things out to anyone that can sit in class long enough.
That is why I'm never impressed by a degree... show me what you've done and I may be impressed. Otherwise, meh... a degree is a piece of paper that says you can regurgitate information at will...
#NotOneRedCent

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 am

I haven't read the entire thread so I don't know if The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America has been mentioned yet.

Take the plunge.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck