The Intellectual Dark Web

Speaker to Animals

Re: The Intellectual Dark Web

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:47 pm

The natural sociological bypass valve for too many people has always been killing them somehow.

You have to either make people not useless, or you need to figure out how to kill them. The latter part is where you get dystopia. If we are going down that road, then I choose Sparta. Let the strong inherit the Earth, I guess. At least genetically we will be better off. Letting pencil-necked merchant cunts decide who gets culled is not going to be acceptable. I would rather us off them first.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:49 pm

If one must do something to receive their UBI, that something is going to be soldiering.

To include space soldiering; war by colonization space race.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:51 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:49 pm
If one must do something to receive their UBI, that something is going to be soldiering.

To include space soldiering war by colonization race.
Smitty you need to get into this MLM Amway thing with me. You provide the capital, I'll provide the selling power and vision. Win/win no UBI necessary. Don't invest in this with me UNLESS you want to get rich and live a life of leisure beyond your wildest dreams. Did that get your attention? I thought so...
Shikata ga nai

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:51 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:45 pm
Yeah, this is a fallacious argument again. There is nothing to compare this to.
There are countless examples of economic shifts in human history, I named four.
Your argument is fallacious, as is every argument addressing a human innovation that begins with "There is nothing to compare this to".

Plenty to compare it to. None of it ever reached the dystopia you predict, just as the previous challenges didn't achieve the dystopias predicted by doomsayers back then.

Nothing new under the sun.
Certainly not automation.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:59 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:51 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:49 pm

To include space soldiering war by colonization race.
Smitty you need to get into this MLM Amway thing with me. You provide the capital, I'll provide the selling power and vision. Win/win no UBI necessary. Don't invest in this with me UNLESS you want to get rich and live a life of leisure beyond your wildest dreams. Did that get your attention? I thought so...
The UBI comes in different forms, triple the military budget, I'll get my cash flow by way of LMT
Nec Aspera Terrent

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:03 pm

At least this thread helped me figure out why folks are Yang'ing it up.

Yang - For people who are pretty sure everyone is losing their job to AI-robots, and they just want some rent/beer/weed money for that day.

brewster

Post by brewster » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:10 pm

I don't understand all the "where's the money gonna come from?" about UBI. Obviously it's simply re-distributive, just according to a different formula than current entitlements. Econtalk did a great segment on it about 2 years ago. http://www.econtalk.org/michael-munger- ... 2ubi%22%5D
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:34 pm
We could automate most of education.
Already there. My kid is taking an intro to coding class at her elite magnet HS: it's Khan Academy. The "teacher" is just a proctor while the kids work online.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:13 pm

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:26 pm
I have thought of lots of ways to automate quite a lot of industries too. Especially the ones populated by the assholes who think they are above everybody else. Lawyers, especially, would get decimated (and probably will within twenty years). You could even automate "journalism" at this point, and get better edited pieces too.

The shit we can't automate easily involves human physical labor in complex tasks like you see in trades. Those are safe for a while yet.

Actually, for the sort of legal cases you know anything about, lawyers are totally redundant.

80% of lawyers are wasted oxygen, who knew?

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:17 pm

brewster wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:10 pm
I don't understand all the "where's the money gonna come from?" about UBI. Obviously it's simply re-distributive, just according to a different formula than current entitlements. Econtalk did a great segment on it about 2 years ago. http://www.econtalk.org/michael-munger- ... 2ubi%22%5D
An hour and four minutes.

What's the cliff notes version of "Here's how we give people everything we produce in a month plus $870billion more without problems"?

brewster

Post by brewster » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:20 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:17 pm
brewster wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:10 pm
An hour and four minutes.

What's the cliff notes version of "Here's how we give people everything we produce in a month plus $870billion more without problems"?
You could skim the transcript on the page. It's redistributive, you're taking $1000 from everybody then giving it back. Zero sum. Except some give less and some give more. Redistributive. Got it?
Last edited by brewster on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND