THE ERA OF TRUMP

Zlaxer

Re: THE ERA OF TRUMP

Post by Zlaxer » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:37 am

DrYouth wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:
WASHINGTON — In a surprising rebuff to President Trump and Republican leaders, the House derailed a bill on Tuesday that would have given patients with terminal illnesses a right to try unproven experimental treatments."
Do patients with terminal illnesses not have the right to try unproven treatments currently?

I'm fairly certain people with terminal illnesses have the right to find an Ayahuasca shaman under their own steam as the law stands today.

Or does this mean the right to force your doctor in the hospital to allow these unproven treatments to be implemented under their supervision in a state medical facility?
No - Dr's can only prescribe FDA authorized treatments...otherwise they loose their license.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:45 am

Zlaxer wrote:No - Dr's can only prescribe FDA authorized treatments...otherwise they loose their license.
Good luck forcing doctors to oversee Ayahuasca shamans tending to the terminally ill in state run hospitals... it's not dignified to have them administering their hallucinogenics and bongo beating, trance dancing in a state run facility.

If you are terminally ill, you will have to find a way to access your shaman on your own terms.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:48 am

Stop being a straw manning faggot. This isn't about hallucinogens.

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:52 am

DrYouth wrote:
Zlaxer wrote:No - Dr's can only prescribe FDA authorized treatments...otherwise they loose their license.
Good luck forcing doctors to oversee Ayahuasca shamans tending to the terminally ill in state run hospitals... it's not dignified to have them administering their hallucinogenics and bongo beating, trance dancing in a state run facility.

If you are terminally ill, you will have to find a way to access your shaman on your own terms.

So you want patients to choose between an unlicensed quack or foregoing treatment? Most MDs who would opt for experimental treatments on terminally ill patients wont violate FDA policy (they like having a job).....

You're being silly here....

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:56 am

We are talking about drugs currently in trials, including human trials, that show some potential for addressing the underlying illness. They are not approved yet, but clinical trials have shown some evidence that they could work. A terminal patient should sure as shit have access to those drugs, and I doubt many doctors are going to say no if the research indicates it could help (and they are dying anyway).

It should still be administered by a doctor, under his supervision, and his approval, but a doctor ought not be constrained by the FDA process of identifying all possible risks in a new treatment, since the patients are dying anyway. The process the FDA has set up is designed to keep people from dying who are not already dying. It makes no sense to apply it to somebody who will otherwise be dead in a few months if you don't even try.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:58 am

I know of research chemicals that you can use to build muscles that are in human trials right now for chemo patients. These drugs are designed to preserve muscle wasting. You might not realize this, but the amount of muscle you have on you has a big impact upon whether you will survive cancer. We already know these drugs are relatively safe because literally millions of gym bros are getting them from shady suppliers out of China to build muscle. But currently a doctor is forbidden from prescribing these drugs to a patient on chemo.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:02 am

I'm just saying that doctors need to understand what they are prescribing.

If you can convince your doctor of your need for some experimental drug... I don't know what keeps that from happening already.

Why do you need this legislation?

Is the FDA routinely litigating against doctors?

Clinical trials are routinely initiated to try out experimental drugs...
Last edited by DrYouth on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:03 am

DrYouth wrote:I'm just saying that doctors need to understand what they are prescribing.

If you can convince your doctor of you need for some experimental drug... I don't know what keeps that from happening already.

Right. You can't imagine what keeps that from happening already, even though this bill was supposed to put a stop to exactly what was keeping that from happening already.

A doctor will lose his license in America if he prescribes a drug that is not approved by the FDA.

There are Americans that have fled to places like Costa Rica to save their lives because of this. They had the money to do it. Lots of people have to die because they can't afford to flee the statist regulatory environment.

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:13 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
DrYouth wrote:I'm just saying that doctors need to understand what they are prescribing.

If you can convince your doctor of you need for some experimental drug... I don't know what keeps that from happening already.

Right. You can't imagine what keeps that from happening already, even though this bill was supposed to put a stop to exactly what was keeping that from happening already.

A doctor will lose his license in America if he prescribes a drug that is not approved by the FDA.

There are Americans that have fled to places like Costa Rica to save their lives because of this. They had the money to do it. Lots of people have to die because they can't afford to flee the statist regulatory environment.

Looks like Beer-O'thirty arrives early in Canuckland this time of year :cheers:

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:16 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:A doctor will lose his license in America if he prescribes a drug that is not approved by the FDA.
Most doctors don't know much about the drugs that aren't FDA approved.

The number of doctors that really understand the drugs that are still in research phases are very small...

So this is a very small issue.

I wouldn't get your knickers in a knot about it.